Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Julia?  (Read 1325 times)

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
Julia?
« on: May 19, 2004, 09:28:30 AM »

Julia is credited to John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Kahlil Gibran.. WTF?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Julia?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 09:57:37 AM »

I dont much about it, but 'ocean child' means Yoko in japanese and some lyrics such as 'Half of what I say is meaningless, But I say it just to reach you' was taken from Kahlil Gibran's poem "The Prophet".

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 11:40:30 AM »

Since when has it been credited that way? It says Lennon/McCartney on every version I[/i] have.

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 11:31:18 PM »

In DM's site, in the lyrics section it's credited to those 3.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 12:15:45 AM »

Quote from: Beatle_Ed
Julia is credited to John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Kahlil Gibran.. WTF?

In DM's site, in the lyrics section it's credited to those 3. Yes It Is ... why?

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:05:10 AM »

No need to reply the question, raxo.

Kahlil Gibran was a poet, born in Lebanon. One of his most famous lines of poetry in the English speaking world is from 'Sand and Foam' (1926), which reads : 'Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it so that the other half may reach you'. This was taken by John Lennon and placed, though in a slightly altered form, into the song Julia from The Beatles' 1968 album The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album).

Gibran's most famous line of all is that which inspired John F. Kennedy's oft quoted "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You," from his 1961 inaugural address. The quote was inspired by a 1925 article, "The New Frontier," in which Gibran wrote: "Are you a politician asking what your country can do for you or a zealous one asking what you can do for your country? If you are the first, then you are a parasite; if the second, then you are an oasis in a desert."

Not sure tho why he is credited to have co-written Julia, although he might have a right to. The line 'seashell eyes' is also said to be from Gibran. But I couldn't find anything about copyrights or this matter being taken to court. On several sites however, Julia is credited to Kahlil Gibran as well. These sites make a more realistic difference between who wrote what. There's A Place, for instance, is solely credited to John, All My Loving just to Paul. Golden Slumbers is credited to Paul McCartney and Thomas Dekker. Look here: http://www.orthogonal.com.au/music/beatles/index.htm
So, I guess it is not the official credits given here, but there might be some truth in it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 11:23:14 AM »

I guess this could be a scousers rock and roll version of hubcaps and lead off the church roof.  :)
For you non-english, Liverpudlians have a fierce (and no doubt undeserved) reputation of being rather free with other peoples property.
A guy from work is a fanatical Reds supporter, but won't drive to Anfield. Not because of parking hassles, but because he fears half his car will dissapear.
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »

Awesome info, Bobber, thanks!!! :)

Page created in 0.659 seconds with 55 queries.