Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lennon-McCarntey partnership songwriting  (Read 1389 times)

real01

• Getting Better
Lennon-McCarntey partnership songwriting
« on: January 03, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »

I found this article on the net. Some things I knew before, but some are new to me... :-)

The working partnership

Lennon's and McCartney's first musical idols were the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly and they learned many of their songs and imitated their sound.[2] Their first compositions were written at McCartney's home (20 Forthlin Road), at Lennon's aunt Mimi's house at 251 Menlove Avenue, or at the Liverpool Institute.[3] They often invited friends such as George Harrison, Nigel Whalley, Barbara Baker, and Lennon's art school colleagues to listen to performances of their new songs.[4]

A common misconception of Lennon and McCartney is that each of the duo composed his own songs alone and simply credited them to the partnership. While each of them did often write independently
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Beatles

• A Beginning
Re: Lennon-McCarntey partnership songwriting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »

I really want to see that Two of Us movie.It looks really interseting.I wonder if they did a good job on it.If anyone else has seen it, could you tell me about it?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »

Quote from: 937
I really want to see that Two of Us movie.

Me too, i've never ever seen it! i can't seem to find it on dvd or
anything?? :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm anxious to see it!
Also, the same director (Michael Lindsay-Hogg) made Simon and Garfunkel: The Concert
in Central Park (1982)
, another thing that sounds interesting!
He also directed few documentaries about music / musicians.

List of his films:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0512327/filmogenre

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »

Quote from: 298
In the late 1990s, McCartney and Yoko Ono were in a dispute over the writing credits for a number of Beatles songs. [15] McCartney had wanted to change the credits from the traditional Lennon/McCartney to 'Paul McCartney and John Lennon' for the song "Yesterday". McCartney claimed that he and Lennon had agreed in the past that the credits could be reversed, if either of them wanted to, on any future releases, but he later withdrew his request.[15] In a February 2005 statement, McCartney said, "It's something that I don't have a problem with anymore."[16]
I'm glad Paul finally got over that. I mean, everybody knows Paul wrote Yesterday, for example. Why stir up such a fuss about something that doesn't really matter?

I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:16:54 AM »

You Know, I actually feel for Paul about that.(I used "feel" because I cant remember the word which i want to use)
I think that some people might think that Paul is self centered and all that because of it but I think that a song as great as that and all of those other songs should get a bit more recognition for him. (Im not talking about you WaMoZ, you just got me thinking about that)
I know that Im not explaining what Im trying to say correctly but Ill think better about it along the way.

I think that Paul didn't really get over it, I think that he was thinking he was looking bad because he wanted some more recognition.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »

I really don't see a big problem with changing the credit's about on the songs he was the main contributor from Lennon-McCartney to McCartney-Lennon ? its not as if he's taking lennons name out.

if you play youre beatles music in windows media player while it flashes the song name at the bottom it changes from song name to credits then back, and every song except Harrison ones comes up with Lennon, right now im listening to Eleanor Rigby by lennon.

so if it was someones first time listening to them, they would would be walking away thinking that song Lennon wrote was fantastic, can see how it could be annoying.

but i always wondered why they didn't do it at the time, why not have the main writer come first ?.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 12:15:41 AM »

I always thought that just using Lennon-McCartney was preferable to swapping the names back and forth but after thinking about it a bit more I'm not so sure. The writing credit for Yesterday always has John's name right after the song title, which is simply ridiculous when you consider that John was always pretty indifferent towards it.
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 49 queries.