Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why are they so good?  (Read 2653 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Why are they so good?
« on: December 30, 2008, 01:39:15 AM »

I'm sitting here pretty much p*ss destroyed. I just got a new ipod for christmas and my wife shuffled in some songs that I like. My buddy Albert is with me and we've been listening to alot of songs and we just heard 'Dear Prudence' and we wondered if anything is that good. I'm not sure this is,,,,,,,,

wait a minute,,,,,,,,,'Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters' is playing by Elton John and its a strong contender.

No, my question is, do you ever get sick of the Beatles and not listen to them for a long period of time only to be pulled back in? Its happening to me right now. I havent listenend to the Beatles in a long time and then tonight they blew mind again.

Cool group.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
Re: Why are they so good?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:59:58 AM »

i do it with everyband i listen to the muntil i am sick of them, and its never the most famous tracks or there big hits that pulls me back in, i could be in a pub after a long itme of not listening to them and maybe somethign like come together(not a big fan to start) might come on and it wont do it for me btu then maybe something like Martha my Dear,YNGMYM, Nowhere man comes on and when i get home i wanna start listening again and so visit the lesser known tracks first which the nmakes me wanna hear the hits....... and its keeps goin.

hope that helped a little

iv'e had a few too so it makes complete sense  ;)

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:02:44 AM »

yup, quite many times. you see, besides The Beatles I also like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Sabbath etc  and yes, rarely now I listen to The Beatles tracks. for now I'm more interested in their solo career, because they have full of great songs, and Paul is GENIUS, thank you for your music I can't even describe it. what if Paul's songs wouldn't exist? that would be an absolutely musical tragedy, but and John's career is interesting... and George's of course... anyway back to the topic I agree on that, I think it's natural.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »

Somewhere in the mid 80's I didn't listen to them for quite a long time (an hour or two, haha! just kidding). I think I hardly heard or listened to any Beatlesmusic for maybe two or three years. I completely missed about the Give My Regards To Broadstreet thing, although I guess it didn't deserve too much attention after all. I had been listening to The Beatles since 1977 or so and came back to them in 1987. Hasn't been away since then.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »

I hardly listened to any Beatles for about 14 years. I refused to buy the CD's at full price, as I thought they should have been budget priced. And I'd sold my vinyl in the late 80's. Then one day I got a nice cheque from the tax office, so I went out and bought the lot, Anthologies too. It surprised me that I still knew all the words to 99% of the songs.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »

Quote from: 483
I hardly listened to any Beatles for about 14 years. I refused to buy the CD's at full price, as I thought they should have been budget priced. And I'd sold my vinyl in the late 80's. Then one day I got a nice cheque from the tax office, so I went out and bought the lot, Anthologies too. It surprised me that I still knew all the words to 99% of the songs.

Far out. That's pretty much my story too. I haven't some albums for over twenty years, but prettywell know them note for note and word for word. The only one that really defeated my memory was Dig A Pony.
I tried to listen to a Hard Days Night album the other day but had to take it off - far too shrill (not that I don't recognise its importance/contempory quality blah blah. But I can no more listen to it now than say High School Musical.
don't follow leaders

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »

Quote from: 373
do you ever get sick of the Beatles and not listen to them for a long period of time only to be pulled back in? Its happening to me right now. I havent listenend to the Beatles in a long time and then tonight they blew mind again.

Cool group.

Actually, The Beatles are about the only pop/rock group I've been continually interested in since I was a teenager in the late seventies. It's everybody else I have periodic and usually not long lasting bouts of enthusiasm for. I used to have a huge collection of rock on vinyl, but I sold all that when I got out of college in 1988 because I was bored with it and because I'd drawn the conclusion that rock didn't have anything to say to adults. I still think that's largely the case, but rock (or some of it) does still make me want to get up and move, which I guess counts as some sort of non-verbal/literal communication.  :)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »

There have been some times where I didn't listen to them for some period of time............ie......my "Pink Floyd" saga from the late '80's.  But all in all..............the Beatles always are brought back to me.  I guess since I've been a fan of theirs since I was 10 or 11, and they were the FIRST music group I've EVER got into.  And now adays.........all the Beatle merchandising coming out..........can any other group have that kind of staying power 20 years from now???  The Beatles transcend distance and time.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:02:53 PM »

I never get tired of listening to them. Why is it so?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:24 AM »

Quote from: 1161
Actually, The Beatles are about the only pop/rock group I've been continually interested in...

Same here!  Sometimes my interest waxes and wanes a bit, but for the past 15 years, the Beatles have always remained my favorite band.  I like other artists too, but I never deeply cared about anyone else's music as much as the Beatles.

Quote from: 1393

I would say that their music is "compulsively listenable."   ;)  In other words, addictive!  It's their sound and energy that I love.

Plus, the Beatles explored so many different genres of music, so if you get tired of listening to one type of music, you can go off and find another.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

Quote from: 1393

It depends how old one is, and therefore one's exposure to many different artists and genres. I grew up at a time when The Beatles were in existence, but since then I've had several different 'favourite' bands/artists. In the 70's Weather Report were my favourite band, and in the 80's I largely listened to jazz. Today artists such as Radiohead, Richard Thompson, and David Sylvian vie with The Beatles as my favourite artist. I certainly listen to them more than The Beatles.

Some of our younger members here are probably flabbergasted by some of the comments on this thread, but when you've heard all the songs as many times as us oldie's your need to listen to them all the time diminishes. I probably get more pleasure from listening to the bootlegs. And I don't even have them on my iPod at the moment.

Lyrically_N_Gaged

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 11:12:02 PM »

It happened to me for a week or so.

And now I'm listening to them again.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »

It happened to me with Pink Floyd. I spent four years in college doing nothing but listening to them and now, I cant stand them. Not even the early stuff. Its been 15 years now and I dont know if i'll ever be able to stomach them again.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 01:01:48 AM »

There was a year when I hardly listened to them at all. I guess I had overdosed from listening to 3 Beatles albums a day. Now, I only listen to a few songs a day. I don't want to get sick of them again.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 04:47:55 AM »

Tkitna, my condolences on your Pink Floyd burnout! That's a shame. I play them once in a while-- "Echoes" still transports me, as does most of "Dark Side of the Moon"-- but I listened to a lot of groups at that time, so I was spared the over-familiarity problem. (and 'Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters' is truly a magnificent song, one of my favorites...)

Quote from: 483
I probably get more pleasure from listening to the bootlegs.
Very true! When I've heard a song 70 or 800 times, it tends to get a little too familiar. ;) What I so enjoy about my Beatles hobby is that there is so much to discover. First, I had to listen to all the official albums. Then I had to listen to all the concert footage I could find on YouTube and elsewhere. Then I had to listen to bootlegs. Then the alternate mixes.... There's so much out there, it keeps the material fresh and interesting. These poor guys-- to be so heavily documented must be a little disconcerting! But it's a bonanza for us fans. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 71 queries.