Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Venus and Mars are Alright Tonight  (Read 1480 times)

jjs

• A Beginning
Venus and Mars are Alright Tonight
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »

I just got to thinking...

This was John's long weekend. The animosity between John and Paul was cooling down, John was even supposed to play on Venus and Mars. He was separated from Yoko at the time, and Paul had seen Yoko and actually had a hand in getting them back together.

Is it possible the lyrics in V+M actually refer to J+Y?  I know what Paul said, but if you put the song into the context of what was going on with John, Yoko and Paul at time...

Yoko was very much into astrology (following the stars) and she told Paul the "time" was right for John to come home. According to Fred Seaman's book, Yoko would or wouldn't do things (or allow John to do things) if a certain planet was or wasn't in retrograde. I'd be willing to bet that the astrological status of Venus and Mars is what "told" Yoko it was time for John to come home, and she relayed this to Paul, and it found it's way into a song.

OK this is all just total conjecture, but it fits the facts, and the lyrics.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Venus and Mars are Alright Tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »

I don`t know, but i can`t miss a chance to say that I like the song very much. Your supposition maybe true, though.

Liverpool1

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »

Hi -
I'm reaaly interested that John was supposed to play on Venus and Mars! What was the source for this, never heard it before.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »

could be. I mean what influences a writer? things that happen around him.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »

Quote from: 1724
I'm really interested that John was supposed to play on Venus and Mars! What was the source for this, never heard it before.

I haven't heard this before, either. Just out of curiosity...?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »

Quote from: 1161

I haven't heard this before, either. Just out of curiosity...?

I've heard it before. Paul invited John to New Orleans to join Wings for some tracks on V&M but either John declined or something happened.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:22:47 PM »

I listened to a May Pang interview several weeks ago and, unless I'm muddling things in my memory, I believe that she stated this was around the period of time when John went back to Yoko. After that, all previous plans kind of went out the window. Until then John and Paul were visiting frequently and talk was made about the New Orleans get-together. I'll try to dig this out and see for sure.

:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

Quote from: 843
I listened to a May Pang interview several weeks ago and, unless I'm muddling things in my memory, I believe that she stated this was around the period of time when John went back to Yoko. After that, all previous plans kind of went out the window. Until then John and Paul were visiting frequently and talk was made about the New Orleans get-together. I'll try to dig this out and see for sure.

:)

This is correct.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 01:41:03 AM »

I've got so many Beatle books and magazines, it's virtually impossible to put my hands on the direct source anymore.

From memory, John and Paul had been seeing each other frequently around that time, and Paul invited John to play on V+M. John accepted.

Paul also saw Yoko around that time. I don't remember if Yoko contacted Paul, or Paul contacted Yoko, or if they just ran into each other. Somehow this meeting between Paul and Yoko led to Paul helping to get J+Y back together.

John went home to Yoko, and he never got to play on V+M. He sent his regrets by postcard... somehow a postcard was involved.

This is why I put forward the hypothesis V+M is about J+Y. Like I said, I bet Yoko told Paul "Venus and Mars were in retrograde" or something, which "made the time right" for John to come home. Yoko was heavily into the stars, and Fred Seaman talked about how she would make decisions based on which planet was "retrograde".

The meaning of V+M (or at least what inspired it) is all conjecture on my part, but putting the song the people and the events together seems to make some sense.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:03:54 AM »

Something else I heard in that May Pang interview...

Yoko arranged for a hypnotist to have a session with John to cure him of his smoking habit while he was visiting New York. Shortly afterwards, John called May and informed her that he and Yoko were back together.

Just saying.

:-/

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »

Yoko was into astrology, as jjs writes, and didn`t manage to foresee John`s death...so all her astrology was useless...

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 64 queries.