Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John Lennon's Peace Period  (Read 3489 times)

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
John Lennon's Peace Period
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:00:45 AM »

wat does everyone think of Lennon's peace period between like 69-70. I've never really liked this period of his life. i liked the music he was producing but it was the whole peace movement thing that i wasnt really a fan of. i think yoko was more behind it than john, an i wonder wat the more cynical sharp tongued john from the early sixties would have thought if he could have seen him in 69. i think the idea of selling peace like a product was really good and original but the way he did it i dont think was that good. the bed in's an the bagism stuff was to vague an hippyish an was a bit drippy an wishy washy. it didnt really have any effect. there's also something of putting about a man who lives in a mansion an drives a rolls royse singing "imagine no possesions." i read an interview with some women on the internet the other day an she was critising John for handing back his MBE an i found myself agreeing with her despite the fact that she kept calling john "dear boy"

John: [Angrily in response to Gloria Emerson's cynical view of John returning his MBE]
If I'm gonna get on the front page, I might as well get on the front page with the word "PEACE".
Emerson: But you've made yourself ridiculous!
John: To some people, I don't care....if it saves lives!
Emerson: You don't think you've - oh - my dear boy you're living in a nether nether land.
John: Well you talk to a...
Emerson: You don't think you've saved a single life...
John: Maybe we'll save some in the future...
Emerson: You've probably helped Cold Turkey move up the charts.
John: It didn't do a bit of use, it's still gone down so it didn't do anything.
Emerson: But you don't equate of the civil war that's going on in Nigeria with that, and then talk about "this is my form of a protest because people in anti-war campaigns are too SERIOUS and they get battered", what do you know about a protest movement anyway? It's a lot more than sending your chauffeur and your car back to Buckingham palace.
John: You're just a snob about it.....

I also read John Lennon's interview with red mole an tariq ali the other day. i prefered him much more in this. hear he seemed more into radical left wing politics. he was much more angry an genuinly seemed to be behind the idea of a revolution. he also talked about child hood more an you could see how these politics made much more sence to him an his personality. Also what happened in the end with Lennon an politics. did he just give up on them?
You think your chocolate but your chewing gum.

Sadie4

• Getting Better
Re: John Lennon's Peace Period
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 07:16:18 PM »

[quote by=Kiss_My_Bad_Self link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1095764445,s=0 date=1095764445]wat does everyone think of Lennon's peace period between like 69-70. I've never really liked this period of his life. i liked the music he was producing but it was the whole peace movement thing that i wasnt really a fan of. i think yoko was more behind it than john, an i wonder wat the more cynical sharp tongued john from the early sixties would have thought if he could have seen him in 69. i think the idea of selling peace like a product was really good and original but the way he did it i dont think was that good. the bed in's an the bagism stuff was to vague an hippyish an was a bit drippy an wishy washy. it didnt really have any effect. there's also something of putting about a man who lives in a mansion an drives a rolls royse singing "imagine no possesions." i read an interview with some women on the internet the other day an she was critising John for handing back his MBE an i found myself agreeing with her despite the fact that she kept calling john "dear boy"[/quote]

Incredible, this is exactly what I think, almost word for word. I couldn't have said it better. I agree with you 100%

JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 11:04:54 PM »

I agree with John's views about peace et cetera but I don't think he went about it the right way.
I totally agree with your opinion on the "Imagine no posessions" thing.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 01:10:11 AM »

Imagine no posession ;D

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 01:18:58 AM »

there's also something of putting about a man who lives in a mansion an drives a rolls royse singing "imagine no possesions."

Here's a quote from Elvis Costello's song Another Side of Summer. I'm thinking he probably agreed somewhat! Does anyone else think the second line is a reference to Another Brick in the Wall?

Was it a millionaire who said "imagine no possessions"?
A poor little schoolboy who said "we don't need no lessons"?
The rabid rebel dogs ransack the shampoo shop
The pop princess is downtown shooting up
And if that goddess if fit for burning
The sun will struggle up the world will still keep turning

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 08:57:58 AM »

i agree with peace, i never really support war. i was critisisng his methods more, and maybe his ego was running away from him. but his over all message was a good one. and im sure he believed in what he was doing and he wasnt just doing it for selfish reasons.
You think your chocolate but your chewing gum.

marriott

• One And One Is Two
  • no mister charlie not my frontal lobe!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 07:49:35 AM »

wat yu on aboot evry1 nos that the best beatle period was batlemania + she loves you was da best. peece period was jus confusin.

peace is rubbish we shood jus bomb anyone that dont like us- that'll scare them and no one will mess will USA!!!

p.s MIster charlie is short and purple
;D :X ??) ::) :D :D :o :'(  ;
(afro)(drool)(angry)
yay jokes wearing thin and living underneath a bridge frequented by goats rock the casbah all day and all night ??)

p.s mist :oer charlie moonlights as an aus ::)tralian neurosur

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 08:21:22 AM »

I think the fact of the matter is that John felt like he was making a difference. More than promoting peace, he stood out. Like he said "If everyone in the world demanded peace instead of another television set, there'd be peace" He was right. He was trying to get people to demand it. Now how staying in bed for a week and sitting in a bag made people demand it.. I dunno. lol I think he went about it wrong on alot of accounts. But his heart was in the right place.  And I always thought he moved to New York to get away from the "millionaire appearance"

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 03:32:20 PM »

Anyway, what other methods could JOHN have used? He was an artist, after all, a musician, and he knew he was a well-known person, so he just did what he thought was best
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Runforyourlife

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 04:46:49 PM »

I really think John's peace period was a pivital moment in history. Here was this famous guy doing all this nutty stuff with his wife, who everyone seemed to be less-than-cool with. I just think it made a lot of sense retroespectively than it may have back then. To me, it was super cool. I thought everything John did was motivated by sincerity. I could see it in his eyes, and the expressions he used. He wasn't one of those celebrities who does things to get their albums sold or their names everywhere- he was sort of sacrificing his name and reputation for the bigger picture. He may have been idealistic, but that was a different time. We've become more pragmatic over time. The sh*t hit the fan, I suppose, but for a brief moment in time, the idea that things could happen if you dreamed for them, or tried to get people on the same page of thinking as you wasn't that insane.

I love John during his peace period. I love his music and I love his ideas.

I also like Yoko the most here. I thought she became a little "cooler" and more "calculating" towards the late 70s/80's and onward...she seemed to sort of give up the idea of really pushing for the simplistic approaches to things and kind of became a hard business-lady, which isn't bad, but its not what I prefer from her. I like her most when she's envisioning thing in the bigger picture.

Personally, she still does that, but I sometimes think it doesn't feel as sincere as when she did it with John. John was so charismatic and expressed himself so well, he could back her up and we'd all see where she was coming from. Nowadays, she sort of repeats her old messages, or repeats John's, and I don't feel it as much.

Get where I am coming from? Wow, I took the topic to a whole different ballpark with that. ;)

Lucy In The Sky

• Getting Better
  • All You Need Is Love
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 06:21:43 AM »

I believe in what John was doing. I mean, why is promoting peace such a big issue? He is a seperate human person and just because he is famous doesn't mean that he can't do things like peace rallies. In fact, I think it was better for it. Think about it, if someone all time famous rock artist started to promote peace now don't you think a lot of people would follow.

I think John's heart was in the right place. Even though yes, he has a lot of possessions and yes he sang a song which went "imagine no possesions". I don't see how this makes him a hypocrite or anything. Because he is saying IMAGINE not I HAVE.

John's "peace" music as you would put it was very inspiring and I know personally the effect it can have on a person's life. I believe that if you've got something to say say it, who cares what the media thinks. And that's what he did. Yes, Yoko did urge him to do this but I have seen no bad things come out of it EXCEPT FOR PEOPLE GETTING TO WORKED UP OVER IT!!!

"peace is rubbish we shood jus bomb anyone that dont like us- that'll scare them and no one will mess will USA!!!"

Your an idiot, don't take this personally or anything but that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I think a this quote belongs here:

"Fighting For Peace Is Like f***ing For Virginity"

Basically what I'm trying to say is maybe you shouldn't criticise him as you didn't know him, you just know OF him. Plus he was promoting peace for us, so people in the future could live in a peaceful world, and you just go ahead and mock him. Sheesh!

Fan: Will You Sing Us A Song?
John, Paul, George and Ringo: NO!

Q: I Was Wondering If You Think American Girls Are Fickle?
Ringo: All Girls Are Fickle.[/c

Page created in 1.005 seconds with 70 queries.