Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Groups you're glad with just a greatest hits collection  (Read 7638 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Groups you're glad with just a greatest hits collection
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »

My point is that some people (I say this in general, not to anyone here in particular) seem to be under the impression that an artist's greatest hits, the best-selling singles, are his best songs. I don't think that's necessarily true (and also not necessarily untrue). Usually the greatest hits are just the most accessible songs, the ones that are easiest to digest.

I would say that the greatest hits are like the fingerprint of a band, the songs the artists are usually known by. Aftel all, we usually get to know a band from its hits, and if one can't get enough of them then one goes for the original albums.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 01:28:38 AM »

My point is that some people (I say this in general, not to anyone here in particular) seem to be under the impression that an artist's greatest hits, the best-selling singles, are his best songs. I don't think that's necessarily true (and also not necessarily untrue). Usually the greatest hits are just the most accessible songs, the ones that are easiest to digest.

Gotcha. I missed your point completely beforehand, but i'm on board now.

I agree with you.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »

The thing about Greatest Hits albums though is that you're probably going to be familiar with most of the songs on them, and you can hear them anywhere. There's no room for discovery of hidden gems.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 10:13:42 PM »

The thing about Greatest Hits albums though is that you're probably going to be familiar with most of the songs on them, and you can hear them anywhere. There's no room for discovery of hidden gems.

I agree. My first purchase of a band or artist has often been not the greatest hits album, but the rarities/B-sides compilation (my first Beatles album for instance was Anthology 2). A hits compilation usually contains the safest, most middle of the road songs. On a rarities compilation you can hear artists exploring their boundaries which can give you a much broader picture.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »

I guess I always go to the safer place and prefer a greatest hits collection if I only need one album from a band. Of course that for those bands that are on the top of my preference I must have their original albums.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Walrus

• A Beginning
  • Here come old flat top.
    • Octopus's Beatles Forum
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »

I'm with Hombre, I'll listen to a greatest hits album just to get a feel for the band. If their are a couple tracks on the Greatest Hits I'm not into, I won't go any further. Like Red Hot Chili Peppers; their greatest hit CD is good, but there are like 7 tracks I never listen to.
"There's nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game."
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 51 queries.