Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Best 70's John Album....  (Read 5595 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: The Best 70's John Album....
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »

Quote from: 564
I somehow agree.Both are great albums and with less production everyone would pay more attention to those awesome melodies he was composing along with amazing lyrics.I don't like the Rock And Roll album much, though.

There are alternate studio takes and demos of a lot of Mind Games / Walls and Bridges material on The Lennon Anthology and scattered throughout The Lost Lennon Tapes radio series. The quality really varies, but on the whole these are often the best available versions of these songs, in my opinion. What John never got a grip on in the early seventies was how to produce his songs: compare his efforts to Paul's, for example.

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 01:47:13 PM »

Quote from: 1161
There are alternate studio takes and demos of a lot of Mind Games / Walls and Bridges material on The Lennon Anthology and scattered throughout The Lost Lennon Tapes radio series. The quality really varies, but on the whole these are often the best available versions of these songs, in my opinion. What John never got a grip on in the early seventies was how to produce his songs: compare his efforts to Paul's, for example.

That's what I feel when I listen to Plastic Ono Band:the production is its weakest point.But he did not improve much by 1980 (Double Fantasy).The outtake of Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out included on Menlove Avenue is better than the release version.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »

Quote from: 564

That's what I feel when I listen to Plastic Ono Band:the production is its weakest point.But he did not improve much by 1980 (Double Fantasy).The outtake of Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out included on Menlove Avenue is better than the release version.

I usually prefer less production to more myself, or maybe the sort of carefully judged production that George Martin applied to The Beatles' records. John's best productions, I think, were the early ones when he had Phil Spector co-producing his records. It's after he moves to New York and starts producing his own records that things begin to go wrong (and in more than the production department). Double Fantasy, (produced? co-produced?) by Jack Douglas suffers from tentativeness and uncertainty in its material as much as anything else. John had been hanging around the house for five years and it shows.

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »

Quote from: 366
I predict this to be tight between Imagine and POB.

Vote....  ;)

You're right. Imagine was my first Lennon album and changed my life so I had to go with that. POB was SO close though!
I thought Walls and Bridges was good, but different. Sometime in... was pretty good too. Mind Games I enjoy, good album. Double Fantasy I really don't like though except for the hits that came from that one like Beautiful Boy and Watching the Wheels.  

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »

As a Paul fan, I have to say it is no contest:

Plastic Ono Band.

Revolver42

• Getting Better
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

I just knotted it back up.
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 01:32:28 AM »

Plastic Ono Band is the best album ever.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 09:12:38 AM »

I used to think 'Plastic Ono Band'. But I find it really depressing now, and knowing that Lennon's childhood was not half as bad as he made it out to be, makes it difficult to take seriously. So the only other choice for me is Imagine.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 09:17:11 AM »

Imagine if I'm actually going to sit down and listen (ha ha ha) but I still think POB is an astonishing piece of work (misguided or not) though not easy on the ear.
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »

POB is great and living without parents is sad. Lennon always sicerely expressed his feelings.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 03:53:55 PM »

i genrally find John's first work & last work the best (POB/Imagine & Double Fatasy).
i thought they were his best periods on songwriting. i think i've come to the conclusion that
a lot of his mid 70's work never interested me that much.  :-/
Mind Games & No9 Dream are wonderful but that's about it with me.

i voted for the Imagine album

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 68 queries.