Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why was George so religious?  (Read 6799 times)

Sarit

• One And One Is Two
Why was George so religious?
« on: June 16, 2005, 07:03:59 PM »

I know this sounds like an odd question,
but I'm not totally familiar with George's biography. I'm listening to "Hear me Lord" from ATMP right now, and I'm amazed by George's religious strength.

I myself am not religious, but why do you think he needed such a support from god? Did he go through something tragic in his life? for someone to be so strong with belief you have to really "feel" it I think.
The rest weren't as religoius as him.

Why do you suppose that was?
Beatles sites ! >> Daily Beatles News! -  Follow-The-Sun

Re: Why was George so religious?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 09:12:19 PM »

*my sweet lord
*hear me lord(both religious songs, both on atmp)

im not sure why he was religious, but id like to know myself..i think part of the reason, was he just liked the indian way of life, and wanted to be like ravi shankar(extremley talented), at sitar, and i just think he really like the idea...you can see his enthuasiasm about it, if you watch anthologys.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 12:24:56 AM »

Perhaps it was curiousity and his fascination for Indian culture, but I think religion just seems to make sense for some and no sense for others. George was into religion, but always seemed to irrational to be true.

Religion can help come up with some pretty good song lyrics, though. Perhaps that was his true motive for being religious- to be a better songwriter. ;D

Hear me Lord amazes me too, sometimes. Lovely song  :)
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 02:17:30 PM »

It's hard to explain why someone is religious and someone else isn't. It's just that they have faith- an unwavering belief in their religion.
I don't think that you necessarily need to go through something awful to feel connected with God.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 03:02:47 AM »

Only 4 people will really ever know what it was like to live in the box they were in. Everyone needs some kind of release or to find some meaning to their lives, and they all handled it in their own ways. John was always looking for the 'truth' through Acid, avant-garde, primal scream, etc. George, I think, was able to maintain his sanity and find peace and meaning through TM and later, Eastern Religion, which served him to his dying hour.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »

I always regarded George more to be the Beatle about love and peace than John. John was about 'Give Peace A Chance', but he wasn't always this peaceful himself. While George on the other hand tried to find the peace within himself. And that's what made him religious.

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 07:05:10 PM »

This is obviously just speculation, but I always felt that George's religiousness seemed to be a largely aesthetic endeavour.... meaning that he was inspired by the people, images, sounds, culture, etc, but not necessarily the core beliefs. I could really be wrong about that, though.

~ missy

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 10:05:26 PM »

Well, religious people, I find, have sort of a drive. A purpose, a meaning in their life. Maybe George felt that being a Beatle wasn't satifying to him, so he took up Eastern religion.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:16:13 AM »

Quote from: joan_was_quizzical
This is obviously just speculation, but I always felt that George's religiousness seemed to be a largely aesthetic endeavour.... meaning that he was inspired by the people, images, sounds, culture, etc, but not necessarily the core beliefs. I could really be wrong about that, though.

~ missy

You are.

Have you ever heard George talk about his beliefs? He was at the core, definitely.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 03:46:33 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
Well, religious people, I find, have sort of a drive. A purpose, a meaning in their life. Maybe George felt that being a Beatle wasn't satifying to him, so he took up Eastern religion.

That's funny because I have found that very religious people lack a purpose or meaning in life. That's why they grab so tightly onto religion. It gives them a purpose. They would be lost without something telling them what their meaning in life was.  But then, I'm not very religious, so this could be my perception as an outsider.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 04:10:37 AM »

Well, it depends on your classification on what a "very" religious person is. My friends all say I'm so religious, but I don't think I am as religious as I could be.
The whole thing about faith is that you don't need anything else. And you have this belief deep inside of you that no one can take away. I think it's like... no matter what happens, you always have your religion and it doesn't change.
You don't need to rely on relationships or your career for fulfillment because God is so much more important.

At least that's how I see it. Religion is a very hard thing to try to explain. Like my priest says, "Trying to fit all the mysteries of God into one brain is like trying to pur the entire ocean into one glass."

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 04:23:51 AM »

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add this.
Stealing is wrong, obviously. But people get away with it all the time. I could, too. I could go around stealing stuff and as long as I didn't get caught, who cares, right? The only thing stopping me is knowing that it's a sin. I'm not saying that I have no morals or consience or anything, just that religion helps to guide you. But I don't think it controls you, either. You could up and leave any time. But people who do stick with their religion do it because it's important to them. My life would certainly be more hassle-free without religion but I just... I just love God. He's the Father, I couldn't leave my Father.

I hope that made some sense...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 04:52:03 AM »

I think stealing being a sin may deter some people, but going to jail is probably a somewhat bigger deterrent.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 05:03:46 AM »

Ah, but that's what makes me unique.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 05:09:51 AM »

Yeah, the whole jail thing scares me a bit more than the rotting in hell for all eternity thing. Call me crazy.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 05:13:04 AM »

In hell, you get poked with pitchforks and burn in flames. In jail, you get three square meals a day, and if you want anything extra, you can become someone's b****.

I'd take jail over hell any day.

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
My life would certainly be more hassle-free without religion...

Try having to deal with your own mortality as well as that of everyone you care about!  My life was much easier when I was religious.

~ missy

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 05:54:56 PM »

Well, at least with religion you get some standards to go by, it's true. But there are so many. I don't do many things, even though I would like to. Also, I get judged and harassed sometimes because of my religion.

Heart

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2005, 02:20:21 AM »

It was his choice to be how he was. It may be something he related to deeply. Asking why he was like that is like asking why they liked music. It's more something you gravitate towards than say "Hey I'm gonna be religious" But thats just my opinion from my experience.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 10:49:44 AM »

What religion are you Mairi?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.968 seconds with 82 queries.