Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why was George so religious?  (Read 6798 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Why was George so religious?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 03:59:34 PM »

I'm a liberal Roman Catholic.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 10:32:50 PM »

God is in every atom and therefore everything, everything is eternal and eternity is infinite.

Some belive God is an old bloke sat on a cloud.

Believe what you want to belive, just don't murder or rape or be a kiddie fiddler.

And that is all I want to say.

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 05:22:55 PM »

Amen.

Cisco

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »

Well, What can I say. I think George was a mystic person, not a religius person at all. He wanted to discover what God is and how can He manifest in our minds and body. For me, it is was easier for George to do it trhough the eastern believes, because he found harmony with that way of live in India. But he also never wanted to be considered a Saint. He was a human being with great emotions, very good in some momentes, but terrible in others. And I learned to love him just because of this.  Unfortunaly I only discovered Mr. Harrison as a human being after his death.
Nowadays I have been researching about him. Great man in his last years!

Cisco

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 05:37:57 PM »

Well, What can I say? I think George was a mystic person, not a religius person at all. He wanted to discover what God is and how can He manifest in our minds and body. For me, it is was easier for George to do it trhough the eastern believes, because he found harmony with that way of live in India. But he also never wanted to be considered a Saint. He was a human being with great emotions, very good in some momentes, but terrible in others. And I learned to love him just because of this.  Unfortunaly I only discovered Mr. Harrison as a human being after his death.
Nowadays I have been researching about him. Great man in his last years!

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »

As he said: "I'm a living proof of all lifes contradiction".

How could he not be?

Cisco

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 08:56:56 PM »

YES, MASTER, YOU REALLY LOVE GEORGE!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 01:17:53 AM »

Thank you.

So do you too.

'If you know what I mean. You know'

Bobber

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 09:10:32 AM »

George Harrison's widow says that he was preaching to himself

George Harrison's widow Olivia says that some critics and fans misunderstood George's spiritual lyrics as being so serious that they bordered on preachy. Olivia told us that George often used his songs as his own form of spiritual guidance: "He also wrote these things to remind himself. People sometimes accused him of preaching (laughs). But y'know, he was really preaching to himself. He wasn't trying to say, 'You be like this because I'm already like this.' No, he was always trying to remind himself. And that's the reason he liked India so much, because he said that, 'Everywhere you went, there was a reminder.'"

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 12:03:08 PM »

Nothing wrong with being preachy. It can touch people predisposed to it. And the others can just enjoy the song without thinking of the lyrics. George's spirituality gave a fine dimension to Beatles' music. John the progressive, Paul the ambitious, George the spiritual, and Ringo the fun(ny).

Apparently there's a spiritual gene scientists have discovered.
All You Need Is LOVE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 12:07:57 PM »

Any info on why George dropped the Indian/world music thing before the Beatles finished? As far as I know Indian music is not on any of his solo albums.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »

I think he realised he'd hit a dead end with it. Plus he was hanging out with Dylan, Clapton and co. And British rock in general was becoming more blues based by 68, and Indian music just didn't fit they way it had with psychedlia.
Whatever the reason - praise the lord.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 03:13:45 PM »

Quote from: 139
. John the progressive, Paul the ambitious, George the spiritual, and Ringo the fun(ny).

Ooh. You'll need to explain that progressive/ambitious thing a bit more. And I'd have to disagree that George's Beatle music was any more spiritual than the others. Hey Jude, Let It Be, Blackbird, Mother Natures Son, Long and Winding Road, Fool On The Hill are as "spiritual" as anything I can think of George's. And Taxman and Piggies aren't exactly dripping with good kharma.
Sorry, those old stereotype tags just don't ring true for me. I'd say Paul was every bit as progressive as John.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »

Interesting. Though I would have thought the discovery that it is genetics that predisposes us to sprituality just shows that it has nothing to do with gods, or kharma or any thing supernatural, but just another evolutionary tool to help humans be a dominant species.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 07:11:40 PM »

Quote from: 185

Ooh. You'll need to explain that progressive/ambitious thing a bit more. And I'd have to disagree that George's Beatle music was any more spiritual than the others. Hey Jude, Let It Be, Blackbird, Mother Natures Son, Long and Winding Road, Fool On The Hill are as "spiritual" as anything I can think of George's. And Taxman and Piggies aren't exactly dripping with good kharma.
Sorry, those old stereotype tags just don't ring true for me. I'd say Paul was every bit as progressive as John.

We had the debate last year about John being progressive, and Paul ambitious. I don't want to go over it again. At least, it fits how I see it. I just like the idea that each member had a kind of loose theme. Really, I think, of all the things they innovated, the idea of themes in music seems to be yet another one of them. The bands that followed in their wake had themes - alienation for Pink Floyd and Supertramp, Celtic and Indian fascination with Led Zeppelin, space with Hawkwind, lyrical landscapes with Yes, world music and then spirituality with Santana, etc.

But, they did cross over into each others 'territory', if that's what it was. George was obviously the most explicitly spiritual.

I think you're right about the Indian music thing being a dead end.
All You Need Is LOVE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 07:24:31 PM »

This website for something about the spirituality gene.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A46793-2004Nov12?language=printer

And other sites, but it seems like it's more of a theory than a scientific fact.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 11:46:48 AM »

We had the debate last year about John being progressive, and Paul ambitious. I don't want to go over it again.  

I respect your opinions. John could be progressive and George could be spiritual. I just find Paul's (one of the generations finest songwriters, musicians and performers) contribution being summed up as "ambition" a bit irksome.
But you're right, we've both stated our cases.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »

And other sites, but it seems like it's more of a theory than a scientific fact.

Yes. The study of genetics is very much in its infancy and open to much debate.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2006, 03:21:55 PM »

Quote from: 185

I respect your opinions. John could be progressive and George could be spiritual. I just find Paul's (one of the generations finest songwriters, musicians and performers) contribution being summed up as "ambition" a bit irksome.
But you're right, we've both stated our cases.

Somebody else here suggested Paul as the ambitious one, and I thought that suited him. I just like the rose-tinted view of it like the four 'areas'. Seems to add colour to the whole thing.
All You Need Is LOVE!
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 76 queries.