Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Capitol Box 2  (Read 14381 times)

Bobber

Capitol Box 2
« on: March 16, 2006, 07:31:03 PM »

...is coming. April 2006.

The Early Beatles
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/12 Love Me Do
02/13 Twist And Shout
03/14 Anna (Go To Him)
04/15 Chains
05/16 Boys
06/17 Ask Me Why
07/18 Please Please Me
08/19 P.S. I Love You
09/20 Baby It

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Capitol Box 2
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:02:53 AM »

that ones gonna sell more than the other one...i'll put a fiver on it....

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:26:43 AM »

It's confirmed that Capitol Records will be releasing The Capitol Albums, Vol. 2 on April 11, 2006.

The CD box set contains stereo and mono versions of the four Beatles albums released by Capitol in 1965, namely The Early Beatles, Beatles VI, the Help! soundtrack and the American version of Rubber Soul. These albums were mastered from the original Capitol tapes by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound using 24-bit digital technology. As was the case with The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1, the discs sound superb and capture the magic of the original Capitol albums.

The Early Beatles marks the stereo debut on CD of nine early Beatles classics, including Please Please Me and Twist And Shout. It also contains the first CD release of the fake stereo mixes of Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You prepared by George Martin for the stereo version of the group's first Parlophone LP. Nine of the eleven mono tracks are unique Capitol stereo-to-mono mixdowns appearing for the first time on CD.

Beatles VI marks the stereo debut on CD of five Beatles recordings, including cover versions of Kansas City and Words Of Love, as well as Lennon and McCartney's What You're Doing, Every Little Thing and I Don't Want To Spoil The Party. The stereo album also contains the CD debut of Capitol's unique duophonic mix of Yes It Is. The mono album also includes many CD firsts: the appearance of four songs in their original 1965 George Martin mono mixes (You Like Me Too Much, Bad Boy, Dizzy Miss Lizzie and Tell Me What You See) and five songs in their unique Capitol stereo-to-mono remixes with added echo and reverb (Kansas City, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party, Words Of Love, What You're Doing and Every Little Thing).

The Capitol Albums, Vol. 2 marks the first appearance on CD of the Help! soundtrack album. Six of its tracks have never been issued on CD in mono or stereo, namely the edit of Help! with its James Bond-derived introduction and five instrumental tracks from the film, including From Me To You Fantasy and Another Hard Day's Night. When the British Help! LP was issued on CD in 1987, it contained George Martin stereo remixes of the songs, which have been used on subsequent CD compilations. The Capitol soundtrack album marks the CD debut of five songs in their original 1965 George Martin stereo mixes (The Night Before, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, I Need You, Another Girl and You're Gonna Lose That Girl). The stereo album also contains the CD debut of Capitol's unique duophonic mix of Ticket To Ride. The mono album marks the mono debut on CD of five songs (The Night Before, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, I Need You, Another Girl and You're Gonna Lose That Girl), which appear in unique Capitol stereo-to-mono mixdowns.

The Capitol version of Rubber Soul contains the CD debut of twelve songs in their original 1965 George Martin stereo mixes. When these songs first appeared on CD in 1987, they were stereo remixes of the songs prepared by George Martin. The album's twelve songs are also making their mono debut on CD, this time with George Martin's original mono mixes from 1965.

Because the 46 songs on The Capitol Albums, Vol. 2 appear in both stereo and mono mixes, the box set contains 92 total tracks. Out of this number, 82 are versions not previously available on CD.

The box set's packaging is similar to that of The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1. Each of the four CDs is housed in a cardboard sleeve featuring the album's original cover artwork. The labels to the CDs mimic each album's original Capitol rainbow label. The box set contains a colorful 56-page booklet full of rare photographs and quotes from the Beatles. I wrote the essay contained in the set's booklet, and I also served as a consultant on the project.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:15:33 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
...is coming. April 2006.

That is fantastic news!!!! ;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 12:16:18 PM »

I wrote the essay contained in the set's booklet, and I also served as a consultant on the project.

You did?! ;)

By the way, where did you find out that info Bobber?

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 01:06:33 PM »

No, I did not. I was written before I copied it...

I found it on, I think, http://www.beatle.net

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »

Quote from: pc31
that ones gonna sell more than the other one...i'll put a fiver on it....

I doubt it without all the hype concerning 'The Beatles first US visit'.
I think it'll sell mainly to those who bought vol 1.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 01:08:38 PM »

This is the new boxset:

Notice Ringo's cigarette has mysteriously disappeared!!!!!

Such imagination from Capitol - this is exactly the same picture that was used on the Real Love single - I think the ciggie was even missing on that too!

Bobber

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 04:28:50 AM »

My birthdays coming up I think I just might ask for this. The only Beatles albums I dont have yet are anthology 1, Live at The BBC, Capital Albums Box 1 and now this. I think I might have to save the first capitol box for last.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 04:29:59 AM »

I'm assuming there will be only 1 more box with American releases. What would this one include Yesterday and Today, Revolver,...I cant think of any more.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 05:56:48 AM »

well actually matt the magical mystery tour was released on capitol first when it came out........

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 08:53:22 AM »

Quote from: ma_tt2
I'm assuming there will be only 1 more box with American releases. What would this one include Yesterday and Today, Revolver,...I cant think of any more.

Yeah they could add Mystery Tour and Hey Jude (or Beatles Again or whatever it was called).
Then you would have early period, middle period and late period collections which would be fairly satisfactory.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »

Yes hurry up and get rid of these silly American messes so they can get around to sorting out the REAL albums with decent sound and decent mixes.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »

Quote from: zipp

Yeah they could add Mystery Tour and Hey Jude (or Beatles Again or whatever it was called).
Then you would have early period, middle period and late period collections which would be fairly satisfactory.

And possibly 2 others - Beatles Story and Rarities.

I loved the US Rarities LP when it came out - 1000 times better that the crappy UK release! Here's a write-up I made on it earlier!

My OLD favourite non UK album was Magical Mystery Tour (once Capitol EMI's biggest selling US import LP!) - but of course that has been released in the UK now. So it has to be the US version of the Rarities album.

To put it mildly, the UK Rarities LP was total pants (crap)! Once a bonus album in the Beatles LP collection boxset, the UK Rarities LP was released in October 1979 in its own right. It's only redeeming features were the German stereo versions of She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand and the original Across The Universe from the World Wildlife Fund LP - apart from that it was mainly just B-sides, EP tracks an accompanying sleeve note littered with errors!!

Then in March 1980, Capitol brought out an entirely different version of the Rarities LP - and THIS was exactly what the fans (me) wanted!! The album was housed in a gate-fold sleeve which when opened out revealed the original Butcher Sleeve photo used on Yesterday and Today!

But for me, the real revelations were the alternative versions that Capitol used. I was only 14 at the time and only had the regular albums and singles which I had played to death and this album contained something new! So just hearing the original Love Me Do with Ringo on drums for the first time was absolutely awesome - and that was only the first track on the LP! I wont go on and on, just to say I still hold this album very dear! Here are the details...

Front and rear of the sleeve

Inside of gatefold sleeve

Side One

Love Me Do - (Version 1) with Ringo on drums. At the time, the master of this take could not be located in EMI's vaults so Randall Davis had to settle for an excellent quality dub of the original single, supplied by Ron Furmanek.

Misery - the common recording, but this was the first time the song appeared in stereo on a Capitol album. It was previously available just as a single (Capitol Starline 6065).

There's A Place - same circumstances as Misery. Issued by Capitol as a single in October 1965 (Capitol Starline 6061).

Sie Liebt Dich - had only been issued in the United States in 1964 as a single on Swan Records (Swan 4182). This marked the first Capitol Records release, and the first stereo release in America.

And I Love Her - contains Paul's double-tracked vocals and six bars of acoustic guitar in the fade-out. This may be a Capitol creation - the Rarities version sounds like it's the usual version with an extended ending.

Help - The mono single mix has different lead and backing vocals and lacks the tambourine present in the stereo mix.

I'm Only Sleeping - this is the true stereo version, which in America could only be found on the Capitol Record Club edition of "Yesterday . . . And Today", and on all stereo tape formats of Y & T.  

I Am The Walrus - this was a new, composite version created by Capitol engineers John Palladino and George Irwin. They took the British stereo version with the six-beat introduction and spliced in the four extra beats of music heard after the third verse in the mono recording.

Side Two

Penny Lane - another composite track by Palladino and Irwin. This time, they took the true stereo version, which had never been released in the United States before (the version on the American stereo Magical Mystery Tour was "reprocessed"), and added the seven piccolo trumpet notes heard at the end of this song on the U.S. and Canadian promotional singles.

Helter Skelter - the UK mono mix.

Don't Pass Me By - the UK mono mix.

The Inner Light - the first time this song had ever been issued on an American album. This is the original mono mix.

Across The Universe - (Version 1); the first time this George Martin-produced version had ever been released in the United States. Taken from the "No One's Gonna Change Our World" LP for the World Wild Life Fund

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) - the first time this mono track had ever been included on an album in America.

Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove - the first time these four seconds of Beatles sounds had ever been issued in the United States.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 09:39:22 AM »

WAIT BEFORE YOU BUY THE BOX...

I found this:

CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 2 - WRONG MIXES USED? --Update--

From our agents at the FEST FOR BEATLES FANS - It appears that the report the other day that the wrong mixes have been used for the new CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 2 set is true.
We have received an email to say that, amongst other things, the mono version of I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THE PARTY has a "Whoo!" before the guitar solo (only the STEREO mix should have this), the mono I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU has the false starts (only the STEREO mix should have this) and that WORDS OF LOVE is the same length in both mono and stereo (the MONO mix should be about 9 seconds longer).
There also appears to be other evidence, like the cough that is missing in NORWEGIAN WOOD (at about 38 seconds into the MONO version), that the mono mixes are simply the stereo mixes "folded down" into mono.
Many collectors will know these little mixing oddities and will presumably be finding more inconsistencies when compared to the original vinyl counterparts.
As for the package itself, well, we hear it is a bit thicker card than the first set and that the CD's do not all fall out onto the floor when it is opened! One thing of note though, the HELP! sleeve is not a gatefold like the original LP release.
The booklet is also filled with some great pictures and text from BRUCE SPIZER as reported.

According to a posting at the STEVE HOFFMAN forum, CAPITOL have now realised their mistake in using the wrong mono mixes for the new box set (ie: using stereo master tapes mixed down to mono and not using the true mono masters) and will correct this shortly.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »

According to a posting at the STEVE HOFFMAN forum, CAPITOL have now realised their mistake in using the wrong mono mixes for the new box set (ie: using stereo master tapes mixed down to mono and not using the true mono masters) and will correct this shortly.

Thank god for that!!!! What a nightmare!

By the way, just to clarify to no-one in particular  - the US boxsets are basically re-issues that have been re-mastered from the original US mixes. It is true to say that some of these mixes were quite apalling (eg She's A Woman and I Feel Fine), however, this is how the US public heard these tracks when they were originally released and the point of the excersise was to present the albums as such.  

So to maintain continuity and to stay true to the project, Capitol included these mixes and not cleaned up "fixed" versions.  

To critisize the sound quality of the CDs is missing the point of the project.

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 11:53:04 AM »

I was thinking it might be an April-fools joke, but looking from an advertising point of view, this is really bad news for Capitol...

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 12:01:36 PM »

As long as they fix their mistake, I don't mind. But if they release the wrong mixes the whole principle behind the project goes out the window and it will be a complete waste of time.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »

so will this be fixed by the release date or would it be better to wait a while?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 71 queries.