Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The US vs John Lennon  (Read 14759 times)

SallyG

• A Beginning
Re: The US vs John Lennon
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 12:24:16 AM »

Quote from: 185

I see you've got your angry pants on again. God bless you Duane. Everytime I read your posts it reminds me how grateful I am to be me.
And please note I said "will be", not "is"
You have a nice day now. And watch that ticker.

It's a ridiculous thread. You should be happy with yourself, it's a beautiful thing, but you've got to let me know what the temperature is like on your planet. I don't think John Lennon runs the risk of being forgotten as a Beatle for the next few months or so. Try not to worry so much.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 01:34:43 AM »

this is what we here in the animal kingdom call, "Duane 'o' Pause"...
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 02:05:28 AM »

I know these stories are boring, but I thought this one's kind of relevant to the conversation. I got a new bunch of second graders today. I havn't said one word to them about the Beatles yet, but I do have a shelf in my classroom with a bunch of Beatles stuff on it. One thing being the figures of the four from the cartoon. Anyway, we're passing the shelf on the way out the door, and one kid goes, "who are they?" So I say,"the Beatles!" And right away another kid says, "which one's John Lennon?" Anyway, I just thought that was interesting.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 08:54:19 AM »

Quote from: 100

you've got to let me know what the temperature is like on your planet.

It's hot. Damn hot. And I think the sky is falling on my head.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »

Quote from: 216
I know these stories are boring, but I thought this one's kind of relevant to the conversation. I got a new bunch of second graders today. I havn't said one word to them about the Beatles yet, but I do have a shelf in my classroom with a bunch of Beatles stuff on it. One thing being the figures of the four from the cartoon. Anyway, we're passing the shelf on the way out the door, and one kid goes, "who are they?" So I say,"the Beatles!" And right away another kid says, "which one's John Lennon?" Anyway, I just thought that was interesting.

It is interesting.

Wayne L.

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 12:59:08 PM »

John wasn't that crazy as a peace activist, because he made some sense with his comments, as well as making great music, with some nonsense as well.  I don't listen to talk radio anymore, because it's fading slowly & it's all a bunch of crap on the left & the right.  Nixon was a great president, which can't be disputed over 30 years later, despite Watergate hanging over his memory for baby boomers.  He was a little paranoid, as well as Strom Thurmond, thinking Lennon was going to disrupt the Republican Convention & cause lots of trouble, since he wasn't Abbie Hoffman.  

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »

Quote from: 395
Nixon was a great president, which can't be disputed over 30 years later, despite Watergate hanging over his memory for baby boomers.  

Apparently, it can be disputed:

Presidential scholars, both liberal and conservative, rank Richard Nixon near the bottom of the list because of the scandals, but most agree that he presents a special problem because his foreign policy and domestic policy successes stand in dramatic contradiction to the corruption of his top aides and Nixon himself.

(source: Wikipedia)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »

Richard Nixon's position in historial rankings of US presidents:

Murray-Blessing survey of 846 historians (#34 out of 36)
Chicago Tribune poll 1982 (#34 out of 38
Siena poll 1982 (#28 out of 39)
Siena poll 1990 (#25 out of 40)
Siena poll 1994 (#23 out of 41)
Ridings-McIver poll 1996 (#32 out of 41)
CSPAN poll 1999 (#25 out of 39)
Wall Street Journal poll 2000 (#33 out of 39)
Siena poll 2002 (#26 out of 42)
Wall Street Journal poll 2005 (#32 out of 40)

Still think it can't be disputed?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 02:00:42 PM »

I'm not posting this because I'm looking for a confrontation or anything, I'm just trying to point out that your opinions are not always, as you seem to think, facts that can't be disputed.

Wayne L.

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2006, 06:13:09 PM »

You must be reading from the funny papers on Nixon BP, because he was a great president despite Watergate.  Maybe my opinions aren't facts, but neither are yours or other members & it's alright to have them no matter if you think they're wrong.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 06:55:57 PM »

First of all, I don't think my opinion are facts. They're not. They're opinions. Second, I'm not saying you're not allowed to think Nixon was a great president.

I don't have a problem with your opinions and I also don't have a problem with the fact that your opinions usually aren't mine.

Who I do have a problem with is the way you always present your opinions like they're facts that can not be disputed. You said it LITERALLY: "Nixon was a great president, which can't be disputed over 30 years later."

Well, guess what: it very much is disputed. You can see it in the poll results. I didn't create these poll results, and neither did any other 'far left liberal wacko'. And if you don't believe me, here's my source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_United_States_Presidents

Now if you still want to deny that it can't be disputed that Nixon was a great president, you could just as well sign up for the Flat Earth Society or something like that.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this very small issue (I actually don't give a damn about Nixon), I'm just showing an example of how close minded you can sometimes be in your posts here.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 07:14:28 PM »

great...no, worst, no. if he was a "great" president than he wouldnt have had a scandel, he could still have been good but to consider him great doesnt work. had he not been a crook and liar and committed that whole watergate scandel than he wouldve been up there as a good president for his domestic and foreign triumphs (i mean seriously, without him, nothing would be made in china anymore) but he just had to much stacked against him to register him as great or even good. he's somewhere between dan qyale and dubya on the spectrum of worst president
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »

Quote from: 343
had he not been a crook and liar and committed that whole watergate scandel

In addition to that he was also an antisemite, a racist and an NRA supporter.

Wayne L.

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 08:50:19 PM »

What's wrong with being an NRA supporter Biscuit Power?  I'm not a member of the NRA, but I believe in the second amendment.  

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 09:31:47 PM »

Quote from: 343
great...no, worst, no. if he was a "great" president than he wouldnt have had a scandel, he could still have been good but to consider him great doesnt work. had he not been a crook and liar and committed that whole watergate scandel than he wouldve been up there as a good president for his domestic and foreign triumphs (i mean seriously, without him, nothing would be made in china anymore) but he just had to much stacked against him to register him as great or even good. he's somewhere between dan qyale and dubya on the spectrum of worst president

For coming off as such a know-it-all and being such and ass about everything, it's refreshing to see you prove your ignorance--which President exactly was Dan Quayle? He must have snuck in there when I wasn't looking.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 10:32:26 PM »

sorry, i know hes not a president but hes the only other real recent dumbass in the white house than dubya. and technically he did run for president. but yes, i know he wasnt a president and i didnt mean to end up putting president on the end of that spectrum, it slipped my eye before i pressed post

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 06:24:42 AM »

Quote from: 395
What's wrong with being an NRA supporter Biscuit Power?  I'm not a member of the NRA, but I believe in the second amendment.  

And I believe in the fifth commandment: you shall not murder.

And since guns are designed specifically to kill with, owning a (loaded) gun makes you a potential killer.

And here's another thing:

Gun control advocates argue that the strongest evidence linking availability of guns to injury and mortality rates comes in studies of domestic violence, pointing to the series of studies by Arthur Kellermann, although they suggest that other slightly different studies have similar results. In response to suggestions that homeowners were at risk from home invasions and would be wise to acquire a firearm for purposes of protection, Kellermann tabulated in home homicide figures in three cities over several years, and found that the risk of a homicide was in fact higher in homes where a gun was present; his study led to the conclusion drawn by some that the risk of a crime of passion or other domestic dispute ending in homicide when a gun was available was large enough to overwhelm any protective effect the presence of a gun might have against burglaries, home invasions, etc. In seeming confirmation of this conclusion is his little-remarked upon finding that almost all the risk was limited to homes where a handgun was kept both loaded and unlocked, and therefore available for immediate use; apparently, the amount of time and effort required even to just remove a loaded gun from a locked cabinet was sufficient to allow tempers to cool enough to prevent a shooting.

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 09:19:03 AM »

Yep. Violence begets violence--'Gotta have a gun because there's so many people out there with guns, what the hell is wrong with you?; For those who 'need' one, well, I guess it's your right. Hard to imagine  the Framers could fathom an automatic weapon. Bet it cleans out a deer pretty well though.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2006, 10:20:49 AM »

nixon was a great president....his foriegn policies are mostly intact today....without nixon there would be no relations with china...i think he was scapegoated...

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2006, 10:24:12 AM »

Quote from: 56
Richard Nixon's position in historial rankings of US presidents:

Murray-Blessing survey of 846 historians (#34 out of 36)
Chicago Tribune poll 1982 (#34 out of 38
Siena poll 1982 (#28 out of 39)
Siena poll 1990 (#25 out of 40)
Siena poll 1994 (#23 out of 41)
Ridings-McIver poll 1996 (#32 out of 41)
CSPAN poll 1999 (#25 out of 39)
Wall Street Journal poll 2000 (#33 out of 39)
Siena poll 2002 (#26 out of 42)
Wall Street Journal poll 2005 (#32 out of 40)

Still think it can't be disputed?
i would say these polls..show that people believe what they read in print for the most part...ask what's his name about polyethene pam being about a man....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 73 queries.