Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Platinum Weird and George  (Read 2669 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Platinum Weird and George
« on: June 19, 2006, 06:13:01 AM »

Anyone know anything about this? I'm still trying to figure it out. Some Rutles type thing I guess.

http://www.platinumweird.com/tunes/thisguitar.mp3

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
Re: Platinum Weird and George
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:20:26 PM »

Nah, it's George. The song is "This Guitar (can't keep from crying)" I can't remember what album it's from though. :)

Cisco

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:32:09 PM »

surely, it's George. By the voice, I think the music is one of his last CDs

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:25:07 AM »

I know it's George, I was just wondering what his involvement, if any, was to Dave Stewart's project. Has anyone seen the commercials with Mick Jagger, Ringo and Dhani? Apparently Stewart is launching his new band with this faux documentary on the made up 1974 band Platinum Weird. I've read that George was somehow involved. I was just wondering if that was at all true.

Some info:
"A previously unheard George Harrison recording has surfaced online, as part of an elaborate hoax about the fictitious history of a new band, Platinum Weird. The band is the brainchild of Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, who was a friend of Harrison's, and pop singer-songwriter Kara DioGuardi, best known for writing songs for Ashlee Simpson and Kelly Clarkson, among others. The track is a re-recording of Harrison's 1975 song "This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)," which he wrote as a sequel to the Beatles' 1968 tune "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." It appears on the website platinumweird.com, and is billed as a track from the band's upcoming album of outtakes and is described a being a 1974 performance -- which it clearly is not. The website, which features an elaborate multi-media "history" of the band, including cameo comments and video appearances by such "friends" of Platinum Weird as Mick Jagger, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Stevie Nicks, Annie Lennox, Bob Geldof, Christina Aguilera, Paris Hilton, and Harrison's son Dhani Harrison.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:08:41 AM »

I like this version alot more than the slightly overproduced Extra Texture version.  It's fresh and I like the harmony vocal and the acoustic guitars up in the mix.  Nice solos too.  

I think alot of George's songs work well on acoustic guitar--you can really hear the intricacies of the chords he's using--nice progressions.  

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 09:43:57 AM »

Anyway, the show about them will be on next Wednesday I think, on VH1. Ringo's gonna be on it. I hope Dhani is too since he was in the commercials advertising it.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 12:39:57 AM »

Platinum Weird? Sounds like a hair metal band.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 11:34:18 PM »

The Platinum Weird special is on tonight at 6:00 (California time) on VH1 if anyone's interested. It's just half an hour. Ringo's going to be on it for sure. I'm not sure about Dhani. Elton John, Mick Jagger, Stevie Nicks and some trash like Lindsey Lohan and Christina Aguilera are going to be on it as well.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 06:37:41 PM »

"This Guitar (Can't Keep from Crying), from George Harrison's Extra Texture (Read All About It), is adapted from his sublime 1968 contribution to The Beatles' White Album, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

The song was released as a Apple Records' last single in 1975. The single failed to make it even to the top 100, which was in stark contrast to the first Apple single, The Beatles' "Hey Jude."

A second posthumous release of the song, believed to be recorded by Harrison in 1992, was published over the Internet in 2006 as part of the Platinum Weird project."

from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Guitar_%28Can%27t_Keep_from_Crying%29

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 56 queries.