Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Denny's influence on London Town  (Read 9255 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Denny's influence on London Town
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 09:38:30 PM »

Welcome to the forums, dirtyoldsod ... hope you'll enjoy them!  :)

dirtyoldsod

• A Beginning
  • Sue me sue you
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 02:32:49 AM »

Quote from: 297
Welcome to the forums, dirtyoldsod ... hope you'll enjoy them!  :)

Thanks!  ;D
<br /><br /><br />

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 03:46:05 AM »

Quote from: 403
I've been listening to London Town a lot lately and I am noticing that Denny had a lot of influence on this album. A lot of the songs have a folky sort of native american and maybe even a gypsy feel to them. Its definately not Paul's style of writing. On London Town, Paul and Denny wrote a lot of songs together. Songs like Deliver your children(great song!), Don't let it bring you down, Backwards traveller, Famous groupies, Children Children and Moorse moose and the Grey goose definately had a Denny feel to them. The album is definately different from the rest of Wings albums. I've read somewhere that Denny was part gypsy and that might contribute to his folky sort of writing which I think is great. 'Time to hide'(Live version) was probably a noticible start to his folky type of music. London Town os a great album. I still think its wierd Wings didn't put out a harder album considering the type of shows they were playing the previous year. I think Denny deserves a lot more credit than he gets. His style of writing is great and if he did indeed write the majority of 'Mull of Kintyre' then he definately deserves some credit.

I think the reason that Wings didn't put out a harder album because by the time London Town came out, Jimmy and Joe had left the band. Jimmy added a hard rock edge to Wings as seen during the Wings Over the World tour. I think London Town would have been a completely different album if Jimmy and Joe had decided to stay in the band. Oh what could have been... :'(

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 02:38:46 PM »

Jimmy and Joe stayed for about half of the album. The songs that they played on were the songs with the heavier guitar. Songs like Moorse Moose and the Grey Goose, Name and Address, I've Had Enough, Cafe on The Left Bank, and Girls' School are the songs Jimmy and Joe played on and are definately the more guitar heavy songs on London Town. I definately agree that Jimmy added a tough rock edge to the band(Joe too! His drumming is so awesome!) and when he left the band Wings just totally fell off. Makes me wonder if Jimmy and Joe stayed in the band what Back To The Egg would have been like. Would it still have tanked the way it did? Plus, would Jimmy's death in 79 break the band up?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 02:49:35 PM »

that is what i love about the "what if" scenarios. I think with that lineup, Back to the Egg would have been a success. I think the tour in '79 would have been more interesting too. Imagine Jimmy playing Old Siam, Sir (there's a demo of it from 1976 so I assume Jimmy plays on that ;)) and playing the infamous solo during Let It Be etc

Interesting you brought up Jimmy's death. If Wings had stayed together in my opinion Jimmy wouldn't have passed away. After he left Wings, he joined the reformed Small Faces with Steve Marriot. That lasted a month. After that Jimmy didn't do a whole hell of a lot besides drinking and taking more drugs...then in 1978 he joined a band called the Wild Horses but was let go after a short time because of health problems. In 1979 he joined a band called The Dukes and they released a self titled album (great record by the way) and Jimmy had a song on there entitled Heartbreaker. The Dukes had a minor hit single in the summer of 1979 with "Hearts In Trouble" and they toured, supporting Wishbone Ash. Soon after that, Jimmy passed away.

So basically after leaving Wings, Jimmy's life went into a downward spiral.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 02:23:16 AM »

some images of Wings during the London Town sessions.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 03:57:02 AM »

Funny how all the pictures make them out to be one big, happy family, but it sure didnt end up like that.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2007, 02:56:55 PM »

Great pics, JimmyMcCullochFan! ;)

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »

Quote from: 682
that is what i love about the "what if" scenarios. I think with that lineup, Back to the Egg would have been a success. I think the tour in '79 would have been more interesting too. Imagine Jimmy playing Old Siam, Sir (there's a demo of it from 1976 so I assume Jimmy plays on that ;)) and playing the infamous solo during Let It Be etc

Interesting you brought up Jimmy's death. If Wings had stayed together in my opinion Jimmy wouldn't have passed away. After he left Wings, he joined the reformed Small Faces with Steve Marriot. That lasted a month. After that Jimmy didn't do a whole hell of a lot besides drinking and taking more drugs...then in 1978 he joined a band called the Wild Horses but was let go after a short time because of health problems. In 1979 he joined a band called The Dukes and they released a self titled album (great record by the way) and Jimmy had a song on there entitled Heartbreaker. The Dukes had a minor hit single in the summer of 1979 with "Hearts In Trouble" and they toured, supporting Wishbone Ash. Soon after that, Jimmy passed away.

So basically after leaving Wings, Jimmy's life went into a downward spiral.

Is pretty sad how Jimmy's life ended up after Wings. You're probably right in the fact that he might not of died if he stayed with Wings. Maybe Wings wouldn't have broken up until much later if Jimmy and Joe stayed in the band. In Wingspan when Paul talks of Jimmy and Joe leaving he seems a bit sad. Probably because that lineup had so much chemistry and was the height of Wings. Laurence Juber and Steve Holly just didn't seem like the right fit for the band and were not a good follow up to great talents such as Jimmy McCulloch and Joe English. I would love to hear that demo of Old Siam sir with Jimmy and Joe playing on it. The album version is awesome but with the best lineup of Wings playing it must have been amazing. I think if Joe and Jimmy played on Back to the egg their influence would have made Back To the Egg what it was suppose to be; A rock album. Back To the egg was intended to be a true rock album but it failed as the majority of songs were far from rock songs. When I listen to back to the egg, it saddens me because it does not really stand up like the rest of Wings album. It just doesn't have a certain feel to it like the rest of the albums.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 10:54:32 PM »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D0V32VRP

^^ there's the demo from 1976. It's pretty different from the master version.

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 01:59:15 PM »

I listened to the demo and it in fact....sounds like a demo lol. I thought it was pretty cool though to hear it being developed. Paul at the end doesn't use that screaming/straining voice that he uses in the album version. He sings more with a deeper voice that you can hardly recognize.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2007, 02:12:27 PM »

I found this interesting. I wonder what songs Wings would have done on the '77 tour?

After the commercial zenith of 1976 with Wings at the Speed of Sound and its euphorically-received Wings Over the World tour, leader Paul McCartney planned on making 1977 a similar year. Unfortunately, things did not quite work out as planned...

In February 1977, sessions began at Abbey Road Studios and continued until the end of March. McCartney's initial plan of touring the US again was thwarted by wife Linda's discovery that she was pregnant with the couple's third child

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Town_%28album%29

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 03:55:41 AM »

Quote from: 403
I listened to the demo and it in fact....sounds like a demo lol. I thought it was pretty cool though to hear it being developed. Paul at the end doesn't use that screaming/straining voice that he uses in the album version. He sings more with a deeper voice that you can hardly recognize.

yeah it is really cool.

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »

Makes me wonder too what they would have played. I'm guessing they would have taken some songs out of the Wings over America setlist and added some songs from "London Town'' lp. I think they would have used from 'London town' Definately the song 'London Town', 'Cafe on teh left bank', 'Name and Address', 'Deliver your children' and 'With a little luck'. I think the would have saved a section of the concert to promote the 'London Town' lp(Like they did with At The Speed Of Sound in Rockshow). A 1977 tour with Jimmy McCulloch and Joe English would have been way better than the 1979 tour with Laurence Juber and Steve Holly. I've seen a show from 1979 and its very very weak compared to 1976.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »

yeah the tour in 1979 was very weak compared to the 1976 tour...part of that is the setlist that was chosen for the '79 tour. I think Paul was getting fed up with the yet another new lineup and by the time the 79 tour came around, he just didn't care anymore.

1976 setlist

1. "Venus And Mars"/"Rock Show"
   2. "Jet"
   3. "Let Me Roll It"
   4. "Spirits of Ancient Egypt"
   5. "Medicine Jar"
   6. "Maybe I'm Amazed"
   7. "Call Me Back Again"
   8. "Lady Madonna"
   9. "The Long and Winding Road"
  10. "Live and Let Die"
  11. "Picasso's Last Words"
  12. "Richard Cory"
  13. "Bluebird"
  14. "I've Just Seen a Face"
  15. "Blackbird"
  16. "Yesterday"
  17. "You Gave Me the Answer"
  18. "Magneto and Titanium Man"
  19. "Go Now"
  20. "My Love"
  21. "Listen to What the Man Said"
  22. "Let 'em In"
  23. "Time to Hide"
  24. "Silly Love Songs"
  25. "Letting Go"
  26. "Band on the Run"
  27. "Hi, Hi, Hi"
  28. "Soily"

1979 setlist

1. "Got to Get You into My Life"
   2. "Getting Closer"
   3. "Every Night"
   4. "Again and Again and Again"
   5. "I've Had Enough"
   6. "No Words"
   7. "Cook of the House"
   8. "Old Siam, Sir"
   9. "Maybe I'm Amazed"
  10. "The Fool on the Hill"
  11. "Let It Be"
  12. "Hot As Sun"
  13. "Spin It On"
  14. "Twenty Flight Rock"
  15. "Go Now"
  16. "Arrow Through Me"
  17. "Wonderful Christmastime"
  18. "Coming Up"
  19. "Goodnight Tonight"
  20. "Yesterday"
  21. "Mull of Kintyre"
  22. "Band on the Run"

Here's a sad but ironic quote from Jimmy about the future of Wings in late 1976.

"Wings are settled for years," Jimmy McCulloch proclaimed in late 1976. "It would be a shame if anything happened. I can't see anything cracking Wings in the foreseeable future."

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 05:42:57 PM »

yeah the tour in 1979 was very weak compared to the 1976 tour...part of that is the setlist that was chosen for the '79 tour. I think Paul was getting fed up with the yet another new lineup and by the time the 79 tour came around, he just didn't care anymore.

1979 setlist

2. "Getting Closer"
   3. "Every Night"
   5. "I've Had Enough"
   6. "No Words"
   7. "Cook of the House"
   8. "Old Siam, Sir"
   9. "Maybe I'm Amazed"
  11. "Let It Be"
  12. "Hot As Sun"
  13. "Spin It On"
  14. "Twenty Flight Rock"
  15. "Go Now"
  16. "Arrow Through Me"
  18. "Coming Up"
  19. "Goodnight Tonight"
  20. "Yesterday"
  21. "Mull of Kintyre"
  22. "Band on the Run"

Here's a sad but ironic quote from Jimmy about the future of Wings in late 1976.

"Wings are settled for years," Jimmy McCulloch proclaimed in late 1976. "It would be a shame if anything happened. I can't see anything cracking Wings in the foreseeable future."

Oh yuck, that is a very weak setlist. Wings were pretty much done rocking after Jimmy and Joe left. I guess all of the Wings members were putting on a smile for the cameras but behind the scenes it must have been tense. I heard that The London Town sessions on the yacht didn't go so well between Paul and Jimmy. I guess the direction musically where Paul was going just wasn't what Jimmy wanted to play. I suppose when Steve Marriot proposed to start a new band with Jimmy it sounded like what he wanted to do.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 05:49:41 PM »

who knows...Jimmy only stayed with the reformed Small Faces for a month. Paul knew it wasn't going to last and what do you know? He was right. I also think another reason Jimmy left Wings is because of Linda's pregnancy. The thing that Jimmy liked best was to be out on the road, touring, giving back to the fans and when Linda became pregnant well...there went the '77 tour. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy was a little ticked off about that. Also about the way he was treated like a sideman by Paul. The following is from the book "Band on the Run: A history of Paul McCartney and Wings"

Shortly after, McCulloch left Wings to join the reformed Small Faces. He publicly said that he was disappointed Wings hadn't evolved into a total band. "I'm sure (Paul) knows, and everyone knows that it can never be. As a touring band, it'll never be like other bands where you see the other members when you're not working. With Wings, it's get the work done and get home."

"I left amicably," McCulloch later said. "I don't think anybody was too upset about the parting. We had some very good times together. Though Linda doesn't know much about music, she's really a nice chick. And I certainly learned a lot over the past two years."

When Paul was asked about Jimmy McCulloch's exit, he replied, "It was just one of those things. When you think about it, it's really difficult to set up someting like a stable gruop, because in my position you get all sort of weird little problems that you can't do much about. Say I decided to do it one way and a guitar player wants to do it another way. It becomes very difficult then, unless he comes up to me and tells me, "Look , I wanna do it this way."

"What was happening was that tension was just building up a bit and we didn't really feel like we (were) quite fitting. It was just getting to the point where we were either gonna do another album that was going to be hard to do and keep on arguing, or else we were just gonna decide that we don't need all that stuff and get on with the music. That's exactly what happened. Jimmy decided to leave...luckily he'd done all the required stuff on the album that we wanted him to do, so it worked out quite well for us."

here's what Paul said about Jimmy's exit in the Wingspan book.

Jimmy stayed (with Wings) for awhile but then I was rung up one morning by Steve Marriot, who used to be in the Small Faces and Humble Pie. A good singer, and he'd been a friend of mine. And he just said, "Oh hi, mate. Er, me and Jimmy have been up all night and he's decided he wants to leave your group and join mine. I was a little bit put out but, well - what can you say to that? So I just said, "Hey good luck to you guys, I hope it works out," knowing in my mind that it wouldn't that they'd been all night and had a great time but that this was not going to be a lasting thing.

Jim came on the phone and I said, "Look, thanks a lot. See you around." It didn't last...and, actually, Jimmy didn't last much longer himself. He died soon afterwards, of an overdose I think. He was always a little dangerous. As an older guy I did try and warn him a few times, like "What's going to happen when you're thirty? You've got your whole life ahead of you." But he liked partying too much and was getting into too many things. In the end, he was just too dangerous for his own good.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 07:08:27 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-SQHal7kM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-SQHal7kM</a>

^^ Paul talks about London Town and his version of why Jimmy left Wings. Some nice rare footage of the band playing on the boats.

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »

[/i]

here's what Paul said about Jimmy's exit in the Wingspan book.

Jimmy stayed (with Wings) for awhile but then I was rung up one morning by Steve Marriot, who used to be in the Small Faces and Humble Pie. A good singer, and he'd been a friend of mine. And he just said, "Oh hi, mate. Er, me and Jimmy have been up all night and he's decided he wants to leave your group and join mine. I was a little bit put out but, well - what can you say to that? So I just said, "Hey good luck to you guys, I hope it works out," knowing in my mind that it wouldn't that they'd been all night and had a great time but that this was not going to be a lasting thing.

Jim came on the phone and I said, "Look, thanks a lot. See you around." It didn't last...and, actually, Jimmy didn't last much longer himself. He died soon afterwards, of an overdose I think. He was always a little dangerous. As an older guy I did try and warn him a few times, like "What's going to happen when you're thirty? You've got your whole life ahead of you." But he liked partying too much and was getting into too many things. In the end, he was just too dangerous for his own good.

I wonder if thats really how it happened or if Paul was just putting a sugarcoat for an ugly ending. I heard from a few places that Paul told Steve Marriot when Jimmy left "You can have him". It couldn't have been a pretty picture because at the time their was a lot of tension between Paul and Jimmy.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 01:49:25 AM »

1976 setlist

1. "Venus And Mars"/"Rock Show"
   2. "Jet"
   3. "Let Me Roll It"
   4. "Spirits of Ancient Egypt"
   5. "Medicine Jar"
   6. "Maybe I'm Amazed"
   7. "Call Me Back Again"
   8. "Lady Madonna"
   9. "The Long and Winding Road"
  10. "Live and Let Die"
  11. "Picasso's Last Words"
  12. "Richard Cory"
  13. "Bluebird"
  14. "I've Just Seen a Face"
  15. "Blackbird"
  16. "Yesterday"
  17. "You Gave Me the Answer"
  18. "Magneto and Titanium Man"
  19. "Go Now"
  20. "My Love"
  21. "Listen to What the Man Said"
  22. "Let 'em In"
  23. "Time to Hide"
  24. "Silly Love Songs"
  25. "Letting Go"
  26. "Band on the Run"
  27. "Hi, Hi, Hi"
  28. "Soily"

1979 setlist

2. "Getting Closer"
   3. "Every Night"
   5. "I've Had Enough"
   6. "No Words"
   7. "Cook of the House"
   8. "Old Siam, Sir"
   9. "Maybe I'm Amazed"
  11. "Let It Be"
  12. "Hot As Sun"
  13. "Spin It On"
  14. "Twenty Flight Rock"
  15. "Go Now"
  16. "Arrow Through Me"
  18. "Coming Up"
  19. "Goodnight Tonight"
  20. "Yesterday"
  21. "Mull of Kintyre"
  22. "Band on the Run"

I'd actually rather hear the 79' setlist.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 76 queries.