Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Chapter 27  (Read 4663 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Chapter 27
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »

Quote from: 1161

Exactly; I wouldn't waste my time with this sucker if a free DVD copy turned up in my mailbox. This is exploitation, not film making. Nobody would have the slightest interest in Chapman were it not for the fact that he murdered John Lennon.

Exactly, that's how people get famous!! You might as well say that nobody would give a damn about Lee Harvey Oswald if he hadn't shot JFK!

The reviews of this movie that I've read have been generally good. Step away from the personal issues and you might find a good movie. You never know.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »

Quote from: 483

Exactly, that's how people get famous!! You might as well say that nobody would give a damn about Lee Harvey Oswald if he hadn't shot JFK!

The reviews of this movie that I've read have been generally good. Step away from the personal issues and you might find a good movie. You never know.

yeah watch it as a movie lover and not as a beatles/lennon lover and you might actually enjoy it,

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »

Why are people still stuck on the: you don't like this because it's about John thing? And what good reviews? I've only read ones similar to the one Geoff posted. It's inaccurate, overblown, poorly acted, and highly fictionalized. Sean and Yoko both found it distasteful and tacky. Not that that has to mean anything to anybody. Just saying. I could easily watch a movie about Lennon's murderer and not be offended IF it were actually done tastefully and accurately. I could not care less about some director's fantasies about what Chapman was thinking or doing in those days leading up to the murder. Jeez, just naming the fictionalized fan he meets Jude should tell you something about the quality of this film. Really. Come on. But I'll have to eventually watch this so I can justify my railings against it I guess. Darn.

;)

Oh, and you remind me of something bringing up JFK and why I dislike films like this. That Oliver Stone movie about JFK, while very well done and interesting, was HIGHLY inaccurate. But the thing that bothers me about that is that he now has how many people believing it's the truth?? And this wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't  believe that most people don't read/study enough to figure out what was true and what was fabricated. Watching a movie to learn about history is so much easier I guess. Anyway, I have the same feeling about this movie. People are going to take it as truth when it has so little of that in it. Apparently.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »

I think my point here has been a bit misconstrued: I don't object to this film because of my personal feelings about John, I object to it simply because it sounds like a bad movie. The single interesting fact about Chapman's life (granted I'm no expert here) is the fact that he shot John; apart from that, the man's a sad nonentity. There's no interesting dramatic material there. If he'd shot, say me [all right, shut up you in the back], no one would have dreamed of making a movie about him. In my experience, these what-goes-on-in-the-mind-of-a-killer movies consist of either journalistic moralizing or pseudo romantic melodrama; they're bad drama that merely exploits pathos.  That bit about "Jude," for example, suggests a desperately amateurish screenwriter.

For what it's worth, you probably couldn't drag me to a movie about Lee Harvey Oswald, either (and you'd have to knock me out cold if Oliver Stone directs). This sort of thing never interests me.

OK? 8)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »

I read that they were releasing it again and I though "Give Up Already! No one wants to see it!" I never understood how people would want to see movies like this, it absolutely grosses me out. The only ones I can slightly understand would be like Jack the Ripper because that is sort of a mystery, they never identified who he was. But to give recognition to people who killed other people, they don't deserve it in any way, shape or form. And I don't get how actors would want to play someone like that.

And Lee Harvey Oswald was never proven as the killer of JFK.

This movie just disgusts me to no end!

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »

I disagree about Oswald. I think there's enough proof to prove he acted alone. For starters, with the technology we have available today the entire event can be computer simulated. They can gather imformation about bullet wounds and the path of the bullet and so on. That's just one thing. There are witness accounts and so on. This has just become so mythologized in America that people don't want to accept it. This is our Jack the Ripper.

Here's a link to an article by Vincent Bugliosi if anyone's interested. He's got a decent take on it. As usual.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/14/books/14jfk.html

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »

How many times do I have to say this? It doesn't matter if the movie is about John Lennon or John Doe. They are profiting from someone's horrible act of murder, and giving more status and power to the murderer.

I feel the same way about the Karla Homolka film that was released in 2004 and she didn't murder anyone famous.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »

I don't see what's so bad about a movie about Mark Chapman... There are plenty of movies about Adolph Hitler... Interesting stories have to be told... And if Mark Chapman for some reason decided to fly from Hawaii to New York to kill his hero, I want to know how & why.

And I definately don't think the movie glorifies Mark Chapman. I don't think anyone would like to be portrayed in a movie the way he was. He came off as a complete nerd who was just so freaky and weird that he managed to scare off even the friendliest and most patient people.

Anyway, I saw "Chapter 27" today. Didn't think it was really good. Basically it's just Jared Leto dressed up as Mark Chapman holding an 80 minute monologue... That's pretty much all it was.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »

I caught the last half of it. It wasn't bad. I thought Jared Leto did an outstanding job as MDC.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »

I have it on DVD it's not bad actually the only thing thats strange is the actor playing John is called Mark Chapman
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 54 queries.