Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Shea's Closing Down  (Read 3832 times)

KateD

• One And One Is Two
Re: Shea's Closing Down
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »

Hi all. My first post here(I'm always reading though).   Besides being a big Beatles fan I am also a big NY Mets fan.
I've been going to Shea for Mets games since 1976, so it became like a "summer home" to put it one way.  Since I was a kid, I always tried to envision what it must have been like when the Beatles took the field.  I work with 2 women who were at the concerts at Shea and I love hearing their stories.  As reported, they could barely hear anything and couldn't stop screaming either. lol

I was lucky enough to be at Billy Joel's concerts at Shea.  He played a few Beatles songs and on the final night(I'm sure most you've probably read about it) Paul McCartney joined him on stage for the finale.  Played "I Saw Her Standing There".  Came back out and closed the night with "Let it Be". That was the last song played by a live band at Shea. I couldn't help but feel that John and George were right next to him on that stage.  It was fantastic and the place was actually shaking.

Anyway, Shea's last day of activity was the last Mets home game on Sunday, September 28th 2008.  I was at that game and there were closing ceremonies after, reviewing the life of the ol' girl and for all to say a final goodbye.  They called it "Shea Goodbye".  Old  Mets players were on hand, saying a final farewell by touching home plate and looking at the crowd, waving goodbye.  It was very moving.  At the very end, two prominent retired Mets players, Tom Seaver and Mike Piazza were part of the 'final pitch' at Shea.  After the pitch the two walked off from the pitchers mound to centerfield through the open gates.  As they were walking out "In My Life" was playing.  Needles to say, I lost it and just cried.  As they walked through the gates, they turned around looked at the crowd and waved, closing the center field gates for the final time.  It was very moving and there couldn't have been a more perfect and appropriate song to play.  I still get choked up just thinking about it. I have so many memories of times spent with my father, cousins and friends at Shea..... Shea was not in good condition but she was beautiful to me and always will be.
The new Mets stadium was built directly next to Shea in the parking lot.  The plan is for Shea's site to be turned into a parking lot but with markers of the infield and locations of historical events.  I'm sure there will be a marker of where the Beatles stage was.  There better be!  I also remember reading somewhere that The Beatles Museum (I think) bought two seats from Shea to display.  So, Shea will always live on especially being a big part in the history of the Greatest band ever!

If interested, here is a link to a youtube clip capturing the last pitch and walking out.  Someone filmed it from the stands off the Shea's video screen.  Quality is not the best but the sentiment is there.

DsgtPpA0OJw

Bobber

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »

Hi Kate, welcome to the club! Thanks for the info.  :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:03 AM »

Citi Field. Just doesn't have the same ring to it. And what do they mean they're saying goodbye to Mr. Met???  ??) Is nothing sacred????  (angry5)

44 years, 16,060 days, 23,126,400 minutes.This is the life of Shea Stadium, born on April 17, 1964 and closing fall 2008. It will leave behind a legacy, two World Series rings, miracles, disasters, MVPs and Hall of Famers, and a large parking lot...

MLB

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 03:01:55 AM »

Quote from: 1921
Hi all. My first post here(I'm always reading though).   Besides being a big Beatles fan I am also a big NY Mets fan.
I've been going to Shea for Mets games since 1976, so it became like a "summer home" to put it one way.  Since I was a kid, I always tried to envision what it must have been like when the Beatles took the field.  I work with 2 women who were at the concerts at Shea and I love hearing their stories.  As reported, they could barely hear anything and couldn't stop screaming either. lol

I was lucky enough to be at Billy Joel's concerts at Shea.  He played a few Beatles songs and on the final night(I'm sure most you've probably read about it) Paul McCartney joined him on stage for the finale.  Played "I Saw Her Standing There".  Came back out and closed the night with "Let it Be". That was the last song played by a live band at Shea. I couldn't help but feel that John and George were right next to him on that stage.  It was fantastic and the place was actually shaking.

DsgtPpA0OJw

God that sounds awesome. Wish I had been there.  :o

KateD

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:11 AM »

Thanks for the welcome, Bobber. :)

I don't like the name Citifield either.  I'll probably wind up calling it Shea 2 or mini Shea.
As for Mr. Met, I can't even think of him not being there!  As far as I know, he will still be around.  I think the Mets know there will be a mass revolt if Mr. Met is no more.  He's the man!  ;)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

God that's really bad

:;(

C3eBaJY3sKU

wGV5P1ePILc

Also bye to Che Stadium were The Rutles played :p

F86ph2Sd0iI

Bobber

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »

Quote from: 986
Also bye to Che Stadium were The Rutles played :p

As far as I know that has not been confirmed yet.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 45 queries.