Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Congrats California on legalising gay marriage!  (Read 20288 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Congrats California on legalising gay marriage!
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2008, 08:42:53 AM »

Quote from: 63

What's that all about then?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a biblical story about two cities (Sodom and Gomorrah) that were destroyed by God, one of the theories is that He did that because some of the inhabitants were homosexual.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »

Quote from: 1393
Reading or Sex?
reading.......

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »

Please, read the Old Testament. And don`t forget about Sodom and Gomorrah.

I like the bit where Lots wife turns into a piller of salt , it's very Clash Of The Titans .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2008, 10:36:39 AM »

There doing a remake of Clash Of The Titans , so i hear .

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »

"Sodom and Gomorrah" is also the title of an old Village People song:

http://www.lyricstime.com/village-people-sodom-and-gomorrah-lyrics.html

(teeth1)

Bobber

« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »

Quote from: 56

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a biblical story about two cities (Sodom and Gomorrah) that were destroyed by God, one of the theories is that He did that because some of the inhabitants were homosexual.

I know, I wanted to hear Jane's interpretation. Ridiculous story by the way.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »

It can be taken as an early exhortation to cut down on one's salt intake as well, all depends on one's perspective.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »

I think everyone's allowed to believe whatever he wants, but yeah... I think we must realize that the Old Testament was written in a time when we didn't have any knowledge yet about what causes earthquakes, hurricans, thunder, lightning, floods, volcano eruptions, solar eclipses... I think that a lot of things that were seen as miracles 2000-3000 years ago could easily be explained nowadays... Again, not telling anyone what or what not to believe, I just think everyone should keep an open and critical mind... Consider all the options... And don't just blindly accept anything just because it's been passed on for generations.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »

I will... As soon as someone can prove to me that it really is God's word...

Dude, that's why the call it faith. And more power to those who have it. But it seems we're still missing the point about the Old Testament in relation to The New Testament. But oh well. One does try.  :-/

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »

Again, not telling anyone what or what not to believe, I just think everyone should keep an open and critical mind... Consider all the options... And don't just blindly accept anything just because it's been passed on for generations.

I'll second that: but I think the effect of most systems of religious beliefs- and religious texts- has been to shut down precisely that approach.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2008, 06:21:58 PM »

Quote from: 216
Dude, that's why the call it faith. And more power to those who have it.

Oh, definately. Even though I'm critical of organized religion, the very last thing I want to do is to try to make someone lose his faith.

But here's my problem:

Definition of faith:
Faith is a belief in the trustworthiness of an idea that has not been proven.

Isn't it a bit risky to base your entire way of life and moral codes on what is basically some sort of gut feeling?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »

The interpretation is correct. These are 2 ancient cities in the Middle East, which were destroyed by God as a punishment for the immoral sexual behavior of their people, shocking and homosexual. The story implies that, If people practise sodomy the world will go to the dogs, no kids will be born, no each sexes` nature will be emphasized. all will become just one sex, kindda neuter. Hard to say if it`s a woman or a man- unisex. Unisex is the banner of our times, the world is becoming colourless, dull, monotonous. Who likes it?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »

the world is becoming colourless, dull, monotonous. Who likes it?

You mean right now? I don't think the world's ever been as diverse as it is now...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »

I will... As soon as someone can prove to me that it really is God's word...

I read a book about a scientist who proved that there was a code in the words and lines of the Bible which repeated itself at regular intervals, not a single human could have followed this code, it was and is beyond a human capacity. I don`t remember the name of the scientist, but i will look it up and tell you.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »

You mean right now? I don't think the world's ever been as diverse as it is now...

I mean in terms of male-female! The distinction is being erased. Go to the USA, they all look alike, I haven`t seen a single pretty girl in Washington. What about The Netherlands, do you have real nice girls? Is there any distinction?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »

Oh, definately. Even though I'm critical of organized religion, the very last thing I want to do is to try to make someone lose his faith.

But here's my problem:

Definition of faith:
Faith is a belief in the trustworthiness of an idea that has not been proven.

Isn't it a bit risky to base your entire way of life and moral codes on what is basically some sort of gut feeling?

Vow! You are wrong! something that can be proved sooner or later is not faith, It`s a thesis, supposition. Faith is smth that can`t be proved, only after your death, maybe.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »

I read a book about a scientist who proved that there was a code in the words and lines of the Bible which repeated itself at regular intervals, not a single human could have followed this code, it was and is beyond a human capacity.

The Great Pyramid (the Pyramid of Khufu, or Cheops in Greek) at Gizeh, Egypt, demonstrates the remarkable character of its placement on the face of the Earth.

The Pyramid lies in the center of gravity of the continents. It also lies in the exact center of all the land area of the world, dividing the earth's land mass into approximately equal quarters.  

The north-south axis (31 degrees east of Greenwich) is the longest land meridian, and the east-west axis (30 degrees north) is the longest land parallel on the globe. There is obviously only one place that these longest land-lines of the terrestrial earth can cross, and it is at the Great Pyramid! This is incredible, one of the scores of features of this mighty structure which begs for a better explanation.

The precision with which the Pyramid of Khufu (the Great Pyramid) was executed is often the source of marvel and speculation. The orientation of the Great Pyramid in relationship to true north is such as to cause it to be declared the "most accurately oriented edifice on earth." That is to say, its four sides are directed to the four cardinal points of the compass with less than 3 minutes of one degree off true north [the Second Pyramid of Giza exhibits a consistent accuracy of alignment which is also extremely impressive: just 6 arc minutes from true north].
By comparison, the Paris Observatory is 6 minutes of one degree off true north.

If you consider that the Pyramids were built almost 5.000 years ago, I would say that this is beyond human capacity. But does it prove anything about ancient Egyptian religion?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »

The distinction is being erased.

I think that's a good thing. I think that males and females as human beings are originally much more alike than we realize. Most of the differences between males and females are purely cultural and traditional. That whole traditional role pattern of the man going off to work to bring home the bacon and the woman staying at home and doing whatever she can to keep her husband satisfied doesn't mean much to me. I like independent women with a mind of their own.

What about The Netherlands, do you have real nice girls?

Plenty!  :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2008, 07:05:20 PM »

Vow! You are wrong! something that can be proved sooner or later is not faith, It`s a thesis, supposition. Faith is smth that can`t be proved, only after your death, maybe.

If you think that my definition of 'faith' is wrong, than blame Wikipedia, not me.  :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »

Joost, you are really very clever! I like it and enjoy it very much! Great! But if you put the blame on Wikipedia, then why do you subscribe to it, to this definition? Do not quote it then. Besides, we meant another kind of faith, not scientific but religious. You should see the difference.

I am really happy about the girls in The Netherlands, or else it seems there are only sexless creatures walking around everywhere.

About the distinction. I meant not the social one and changing roles in family life, babysitting and stuff like that. What i meant was appearance distinction. The world is beautiful cause there are men and women in it. You know, all the time i resist the temptation of going on to speak about the issue of political correctness, which has a lot to do with contributing to unisex world. This is what it is - unisex.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 80 queries.