Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Better Voice?  (Read 5566 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Better Voice?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 02:02:45 AM »

Well said, Sondra.
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 03:43:01 AM »

Quote from: 216
Hardly out of tune. And he's going for a sound there. It's his choice of delivery. He's mocking the folk rock Bob Dylan type songs that were all the rage at the time. And he does it quite well. Which makes for a good vocal. I enjoy what he does in that song. It's perfect for the type of song it is. That's the genius of Paul. He knows exactly how he wants a song to sound and to come off to people. It may not please everyone and not everyone might understand what he's doing, but it's hardly a bad vocal performance. In my opinion.

Ditto!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 04:02:25 AM »

I too agree with Sondra.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 11:34:45 AM »

Quote from: 1428

And, you can't tell me Paul has ever matched the strength of the vocals on DF.

Oh we most certainly can, and a thousand other acts besides have. I last enjoyed John's voice on Sometime in New York city. Since then his vocals have been at best pedestrian, at worst downright annoying.
John developed a very recognisable vocal (thin, weedy I'm-in-the-toilet thing.) but that don't make it good.
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 09:38:53 PM »

Maybe Paul`s voice is better than George`s (let me speak about George, cause if you compare John and Paul you admit that George`s voice is worse), but George`s voice is recognizable, pleasant, charmant, has its own peculiarity, while Paul`s is very hard to distinguish, first, when they sang in the Beatles, and, second, if you are asked to identify the person singing without your knowing who it is, i don`t think you will easily and immediately identify Paul. You will fail at least once! His voice maybe technically good but it is devoid of anything characteristic to this particular singer. I like John`s voice, it is special, I like George`s voice with a little harshness, I like Paul`s voice but less, it has nothing special to it. And let`s not compare their voices later in life, cause they changed under the influence of many things and it would be unfair to compare them, let`s compare them when under equal circumstances.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 09:44:47 PM »

Regarding Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da....

I referred to it in my previous post, but wasn't mentioning it as an example of "fluff."  I think it's a great song.  My meaning was that this song is more typical of Paul's body of work, where John was more likely to get personal, with songs like I'm So Tired, etc.  Paul seemed to create more whimsical songs about other (fictional) people, while John wrote about his feelings.  I don't dismiss Paul's work as fluff, though.

And of course there are exceptions:  John wrote Bungalow Bill, Paul wrote Hey Jude....

Isn't it kind of odd that Paul wrote the song consoling John's son?  Shouldn't John have written something for Julian during his estrangement from Cynthia?  

Things to make you go hmmmm....

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 11:18:55 PM »

Quote from: 1393
Maybe Paul`s voice is better than George`s (let me speak about George, cause if you compare John and Paul you admit that George`s voice is worse), but George`s voice is recognizable, pleasant, charmant, has its own peculiarity, while Paul`s is very hard to distinguish, first, when they sang in the Beatles, and, second, if you are asked to identify the person singing without your knowing who it is, i don`t think you will easily and immediately identify Paul. You will fail at least once! His voice maybe technically good but it is devoid of anything characteristic to this particular singer. I like John`s voice, it is special, I like George`s voice with a little harshness, I like Paul`s voice but less, it has nothing special to it. And let`s not compare their voices later in life, cause they changed under the influence of many things and it would be unfair to compare them, let`s compare them when under equal circumstances.

But what you describe about McCartney i see as a strength, I like that his voice can change to fit the song and it can adapt to any style.

Its also one of the things that can put me off a band very easily, if when the band are changing there sound, the Vocals still sound the same and stop the rest of the bands music from progressing and i dont just mean in tone but in style.

Good examples of a singer adapting to new styles but still remaining recognisble

Damon Albarn - went from singing a Madness like song with spoken lyrics to singing a Disco song ( Parklife - Girls and Boys )

then there are guys with good voices but unable to change and can only do the same trick over and over

Liam gallagher  - everything sounds the same.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »

Quote from: 1333
Regarding Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da....

I referred to it in my previous post, but wasn't mentioning it as an example of "fluff."  I think it's a great song.  My meaning was that this song is more typical of Paul's body of work, where John was more likely to get personal, with songs like I'm So Tired, etc.  Paul seemed to create more whimsical songs about other (fictional) people, while John wrote about his feelings.  I don't dismiss Paul's work as fluff, though.

I didn't mean to sound as if I was singling you out. It was just the mention of Ob La Di that reminded me of what I was already thinking about.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 55 queries.