A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dave Dee  (Read 942 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Dave Dee
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »

Was sorry to read yesterday that Dave Dee had died. I knew he had cancer a few years ago but thought he'd beaten it. When Virginia and I first moved to London when I managed the Four Pennies, we began to live in the Madison Hotel in Sussex Gardens. It was run by a woman, I think her name was Peggy, and her son. Virginia and I were able to rent a room with an en suite bathroom for £9 a week. The hotel was small, but all the clients were from the business. Apart from Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, there were the Four Pennies, Hedgehoppers Anonymous, Ayesha and others. We used to have long chats at breakfast over the cornflakes and I remember I often played cards with Peggy's son and the wagers were paperback books - and I built up quite a library! I often think it would make an interesting theme for a comedy tv show to have a small hotel crammed with pop artists, just like the Madison. There was a similar small hotel where disc jockey Jimmy Saville stayed.
I also remember Suzi Quatro lived in a hotel in Earls Court and was very lonely. She passed her time by painting and sticking her work on the walls.

Re: Dave Dee
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

Heard this yesterday. Very sad. 'Hold Tight' is still one of my favourite 60's songs.

Didn't Jimmy Saville live in a place like that for about 30 years?

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »

I often wondered if that song title would have been better as, and done by........  'Hold Tight' by the hollies

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »

Sad news. I remember enjoying The Legend Of Xanadu a lot when I was a kid.

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

Can't get 'Zabadak' out of my head lately.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 26 queries.