Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Michael Jackson Memorial  (Read 20303 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Michael Jackson Memorial
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2009, 08:03:21 PM »

I am choosing to explain.
A reverend who is a racist. Really! How can that be? What`s wrong with this world?

not all reverends are model citizens.

Interesting story- When JFK was running for president, he was a big supporter or martin Luther King Junior, as you know. Well, MLK JR`s father, who is a Baptist minister, said that he could never vote for a Catholic president, but he would vote for Kennedy. And Kennedy said, Imagine that, a black Baptist preacher who is bigoted.

Just something to think about.

(Sorry my computer is messed up and will not do apostrophes, question marks, or quotation marks)
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »

History gives us a lot of examples of suppression of people based, for instance, on race or social class.  Furthermore, I do believe such suppresion is not necessarily linked to a particular state or nationality.  For example:
Pol Pot, the leader of Cambodia, exterminated about 3 million people, more than half of the country's population;
Spanish Conquistadors killed about 90% of the native population of the Caribbbean Islands in the 16th century;
the oppression of the native Indian population in America; or
Lenin's "red terror" of the 1920-1921 in the young Soviet Republic.
As you may see all these events happened in different times and on different continents.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2009, 08:14:34 PM »

Sorry for misspelled words: suppression with 2 "s", not one. (BTW I have noticed that very often 2 "s" is not printed)
And Caribbean with 2 "b" (not 3, lol).

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »

Right on the subject, Mairi!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »

I thought millions of native people died in the new world due to imported disease like smallpox and the common cold ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »

Bought this tripple CD of MJ & Jackson 5 "The Motown Years"  yesterday and i must say i had forgotten what quality these recordings are ?  you get all the hits and some brilliant funky album tracks from the period .
They were a tight outfit the Jackson 5 and MJ's vocal is incredible for one so young .
Thats two MJ albums i now own , but i can see this becoming my favourite out of the two , something about the Motown sound i really love  8)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »

Oh yes, Hitler was a girl privatecat compared to some. Still, you wouldn't take him home to grandma for tea and cream cakes would you!

I know. It'd be always like "Adolf mate, enough already, you're doing that ranting thing again. Now be nice and eat your bagel."
don't follow leaders

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »

Think it speaks volumes that MJ named an outside guardian (Diana Ross) in his will , even he did'nt trust the family to care for his children after his mother as gone ?
Don't know what Diana is doing these days , but maybe the children should be sent off to live with her sooner rather than latter ?

I didn't think of that earlier, but yes, it is rather incredible that MJ named Diana Ross as a guardian (outside of his own mother).  It does say a lot.

Also, when Paul McCartney made his public statement about MJ's death, he extended his sympathies to Michael's mother and family.  He left out Michael's father, which probably says a lot too.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2009, 09:30:14 AM »

Stalin wasn`t an absolutely white person. He was a Caucasian from the south, from Georgia, Tbilisi, like Saakashvili. Gruzia.

Yes, he did verge on the swarthy side. But degrees of whiteness is an interesting thing to ponder. Do the Spanish qualify? Now that I think about it most people south of the alps, west of the Pyrennes and east of the Oder look a bit suspect.
Grandma! Put on the kettle and warm the cakes. We've got company!    :)

don't follow leaders

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »

I didn't think of that earlier, but yes, it is rather incredible that MJ named Diana Ross as a guardian (outside of his own mother).  It does say a lot.

Also, when Paul McCartney made his public statement about MJ's death, he extended his sympathies to Michael's mother and family.  He left out Michael's father, which probably says a lot too.

I would be really offended Penny Lane if my brothers named an outside guardian to look after their children if anything ever happend to them , would see it as my duty to look after the children ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2009, 10:11:28 AM »

Dancing Machine a favourite track from the Jackson 5 , great performance this from MJ and his brothers  8)

http://
The Jackson 5-Dancing Machine

BlueMeanie

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »

Dancing Machine a favourite track from the Jackson 5 , great performance this from MJ and his brothers  8)

http://The Jackson 5-Dancing Machine

When is that from Dave? It sounds very ordinary. I'm surprised it was such a big hit.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2009, 10:37:10 AM »

Yes, he did verge on the swarthy side. But degrees of whiteness is an interesting thing to ponder. Do the Spanish qualify? Now that I think about it most people south of the alps, west of the Pyrennes and east of the Oder look a bit suspect.
Grandma! Put on the kettle and warm the cakes. We've got company!    :)

My mums father and two of her sisters and my new nephew are all olive skinned much darker than the rest of us , often thought there must be some Spanish blood somewhere in the family gene pool for it to keep popping up like it does ?
There is also strong ginger streak , mums says thats the Irish bit of the family  ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

When is that from Dave? It sounds very ordinary. I'm surprised it was such a big hit.

From about 1973 Paul it sounds much better on record , it was'nt a UK hit and i think this performance is much latter than the original recording looks more 77/78 to me ?
The original recording is much more funky and Motown sounding , this was the best quality clip i could find though .
Really loving this Motown collection i bought yesterday , his best period for me that and Off The Wall .
Think he was much better in the 70's ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »

Also it sounds like a backing track with a live vocal , were are the horn players for instance , under the afro's maybe  ;D

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »

Ok wanted this thread to be a place to remember Michael Jackson, not talk about racist people and people like Hitler and Stalin.

Who are we to say he is or isn't close to his family? Is anyone here related to Michael Jackson? Does anyone here know any personal information about Michael, that they didn't obtain from the media?

Anyways, I want to get back on the topic. Because I believe Michael is a kind soul that deserves to be remembered for the amazing things he has done.

So, this was the original reason why I was gonna post, but reading some other posts, it side tracked me.

But does anyone know, at 56 seconds...where is the clip taking from? Anyone who knows and would like to share I would be so thankful!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:17:26 PM by DarkSweetLady »

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »

Ok wanted this thread to be a place to remember Michael Jackson, not talk about racist people and people like Hitler and Stalin.

Who are we to say he is or isn't close to his family? Is anyone here related to Michael Jackson? Does anyone here know any personal information about Michael, that they didn't obtain from the media?

Anyways, I want to get back on the topic. Because I believe Michael is a kind soul that deserves to be remembered for the amazing things he has done.

So, this was the original reason why I was gonna post, but reading some other posts, it side tracked me.

But does anyone know, at 56 seconds...where is the clip taking from? Anyone who knows and would like to share I would be so thankful!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Well the fact that Diana Ross is the guardian of his kids instead of somebody from his own family says a lot about the closeness factor.

In regards to the clip at 56 seconds, I would guess Earth Song.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:13:58 PM by JimmyMcCullochFan »

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2009, 11:06:36 PM »

Well the fact that Diana Ross is the guardian of his kids instead of somebody from his own family says a lot about the closeness factor.

In regards to the clip at 56 seconds, I would guess Earth Song.

True. I don't like making assumptions, but maybe he just felt it was too much for his Mother. We'll never know the full story.

I thought that too, but I don't think it is. My sister and I are trying to figure this out because we have memories of seeing this video( most of which we can't remember anything about it) but we think that's a clip from it but we can't remember.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2009, 11:14:20 PM »

True. I don't like making assumptions, but maybe he just felt it was too much for his Mother. We'll never know the full story.

I thought that too, but I don't think it is. My sister and I are trying to figure this out because we have memories of seeing this video( most of which we can't remember anything about it) but we think that's a clip from it but we can't remember.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYHguBEXkac" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYHguBEXkac</a>

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2009, 07:04:09 AM »

I would be really offended Penny Lane if my brothers named an outside guardian to look after their children if anything ever happend to them , would see it as my duty to look after the children ?

I can definitely understand being offended, Dave.  However, not everyone is emotionally close to their families.  One of my in-laws will be having a child soon, which means I will be an aunt.  Yet we've never, ever been close, so I can't realistically see him naming me as a potential guardian should the unthinkable occur.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Page created in 1.599 seconds with 89 queries.