Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ? regarding autographs  (Read 4609 times)

CaPpedDoG

? regarding autographs
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »

Hey, so I was looking through my parent's vinyl's and found this album with autographs on the back. I have no idea if they are legit or not, maybe one of you may know?
Thanks in advanced!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: ? regarding autographs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »

Hey, so I was looking through my parent's vinyl's and found this album with autographs on the back. I have no idea if they are legit or not, maybe one of you may know?
Thanks in advanced!

Hi - From memory, I'm pretty sure they don't look like the real thing, but you can google to be sure.

What caught my eye though was the Capitol albums on the bottom of the back cover. I do not recognize those releases - they have similar looking covers to the official Capitol releases ("Meet the Beatles", "The Beatles 2nd Album"), yet they are subtely different:

1) "BEATLEMANIA! - With the Beatles" has the same cover as the British "With the Beatles"/American "Meet the Beatles", but I was not aware at all of a Capitol LP called  "BEATLEMANIA! - With the Beatles"  ???

2) Similarly, "The Beatles - Long Tall Sally" has the same/similar cover as the American Capitol album "The Beatles Second Album", but I'm not aware that Capitol released an album called "The Beatles - Long Tall Sally". And the playlist is all wrong for "The Beatles Second Album" - for example "This Boy" was not on "The Beatles Second Album", and neither was "I Want to Hold Your Hand", or "Long Tall Sally" for that matter, as far as I recall.

What is going on here? Did Capitol release those albums? If not (which I'm pretty sure is the case), do people think Capitol was maybe in the habit of anticipating future releases and putting them on the back of albums they sold ... and maybe they never panned out?

Any experts here, please  2ch - thanks!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:30 AM »

What caught my eye though was the Capitol albums on the bottom of the back cover. I do not recognize those releases - they have similar looking covers to the official Capitol releases ("Meet the Beatles", "The Beatles 2nd Album"), yet they are subtely different:

1) "BEATLEMANIA! - With the Beatles" has the same cover as the British "With the Beatles"/American "Meet the Beatles", but I was not aware at all of a Capitol LP called  "BEATLEMANIA! - With the Beatles"  ???

2) Similarly, "The Beatles - Long Tall Sally" has the same/similar cover as the American Capitol album "The Beatles Second Album", but I'm not aware that Capitol released an album called "The Beatles - Long Tall Sally". And the playlist is all wrong for "The Beatles Second Album" - for example "This Boy" was not on "The Beatles Second Album", and neither was "I Want to Hold Your Hand", or "Long Tall Sally" for that matter, as far as I recall.

What is going on here? Did Capitol release those albums? If not (which I'm pretty sure is the case), do people think Capitol was maybe in the habit of anticipating future releases and putting them on the back of albums they sold ... and maybe they never panned out?

Any experts here, please  2ch - thanks!

They did release an album called "Beatlemania" in a first limited release (my dad has one), after those sold they changed the title to "Meet the Beatles"/"With the Beatles" to be more consistent with the UK release - as far as my knowledge goes.  Also from my understanding "Long Tall Sally" is also a limited release.  I'm not sure if these were just Canadian releases (my Long Tall Sally album says "Manufactured by capitol records of Canada") that might be why they were limited.  Just my thoughts.

And CappedDog, the signatures don't look real to me.  If you compare the writing at the top to the faint writing seen by the hearts it's the same.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:35:33 AM by HeyJude18 »

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:37:32 AM »

They did release an album called "Beatlemania" in a first limited release (my dad has one), after those sold they changed the title to "Meet the Beatles"/"With the Beatles" to be more consistent with the UK release - as far as my knowledge goes.  Also from my understanding "Long Tall Sally" is also a limited release.  I'm not sure if these were just Canadian releases (my Long Tall Sally album says "Manufactured by capitol records of Canada") that might be why they were limited.  Just my thoughts.

And CappedDog, the signatures don't look real to me.  If you compare the writing at the top to the faint writing seen by the hearts it's the same.

Ah, Canadian releases, why didn't I think of that - thanks, Hey Jude!!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »

Right.  My sister did the same thing to her album covers.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:51:29 AM »

Your mother should know.    ;)

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »

Ah, Canadian releases, why didn't I think of that - thanks, Hey Jude!!

Not a problem :)

Yeah, my dad's Long Tall Sally has x's beside songs he didn't like lol!  Then again, he was about 13 at the time he got them!

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:12:04 AM »

Right.  It's all explained here in "A Guide To Canadian Beatles Albums:"  http://heroinc.0catch.com/btls/ca/calp.htm  

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:00:44 AM »

I think an old friend of mine's mom did the same thing to a Beatles album she had as a kid. Was this a common thing to do back then, writing on album covers? I can't imagine scrawling over my CD's and such.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »

I think an old friend of mine's mom did the same thing to a Beatles album she had as a kid. Was this a common thing to do back then, writing on album covers? I can't imagine scrawling over my CD's and such.

It must have been, I have a Revolver vinyl and the cover is drawn all over with a blue ink pen :( The record itself is in great condish.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:22:39 AM »

It must have been, I have a Revolver vinyl and the cover is drawn all over with a blue ink pen :( The record itself is in great condish.

Weird! Why did people do that?? :(

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:40:15 AM »

^I think it's weird too! My mom and dad's old stuff is written on too! I'm really lost on this "let's draw on all of our stuff and ruin it" idea.
Was it a generation thing? LOL! Because I don't get it.  ???

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 07:42:49 AM »

LOL, Randy! Yeah, I'm confused, too. I'm thinking back on ALL the CD's I've ever owned, and seriously, I never dreamt of writing things on them or even decorating them with stickers.

Would anyone care to enlighten us?? Thanks!

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 64 queries.