Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Underrated albums  (Read 10247 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Underrated albums
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »

Well, I don't know about that. On "The Wall" Gilmour is credited as songwriter on 3 songs : Young Lust, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell.

Arguably the three best songs on the album.

Young Lust's lyrics are horrible in my opinion, so we basically have two Dave songs.

Who cares about the lyrics? I have never cared what songs say as along as the musics good. 'Young Lust' had balls to it and was one the most popular songs on the album and deservedly so.

On The Final Cut we have one Dave song.

And once again, its the best song on the album. The only tune that breaks the monotony with a little gusto.

The reason I said it was more or less a Waters solo effort is because he wrote all the songs, it was his idea, and its obvious the other band members werent very invested in the project.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »

For me The Final Cut is a wonderful album, very, very deep, but the gems IMO are The Gunners Dream and Southampton Dock.

Those lyrics in The Gunners Dream are so poetic I can almost feel the anguish of the fighter pilot as his plane is on its way down 'In the corner of some foreign field'

Ive never been a big Floyd fan so much but I think Roger Waters is a true artist, his words and songs on DSOTMoon and The Final Cut are so poetic and meaningful. I think he's a love him or hate him kind of guy though.

I was never that keen on The Wall as it leaned more heavily into MOR stadium rock which Im not that big a fan off.

Another one of his that I think was very underrated was Amused To Death, although if you have it on vinyl its quite valuable.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »

Who cares about the lyrics? I have never cared what songs say as along as the musics good. 'Young Lust' had balls to it and was one the most popular songs on the album and deservedly so.

When I meant by that was that Dave's imput as a song-writer is almost null to me, and I think the band was going just fine without Dave writing any of the lyrics. However, I agree with what you said, I just clarified my last post.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:28 PM »

I agree with what you said Todd, but I still think that "The Final Cut" is a good album. It may be different from their previous efforts, it may be not that commercial and not that welcomed by the fans because of the tensions in the studio at the time, but I think it's a special album in it's own way and can be a hell of an emotional journey with headphones on.

Maybe I was wrong, I've come to the conclusion that after all, it's not an underrated album. And that's because it's only appreciated by a category of people. For example, I can't imagine a Mettallica fan listening to it, but I somehow can imagine him listeneing to "Dark Side Of The Moon". To my ears, the album is pure magic, I love every bit of it, but I can understand that there may be many people getting bored at it, it's just not their cup of tea. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:37:20 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »

I don't really read into music magazines or articles a lot, so I don't know how well this album is truely regarded. But whenever you hear someone talk about Queen, they always talk about A Night at The Opera. I think that an album that should be more recognized is Sheer Heart Attack. I never hear anyone say how great this album is.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »

Not so much under-rated as out and out despised even by it's creator but I think Bowie's Never let me down album is brilliant. I just love it. There's some really dramatic and moving inspired moments on it. Zeroes is my fav but I love it all.

Love the cover too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/Never-Let-Me-Down.jpg/220px-Never-Let-Me-Down.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:19:34 PM by Toejam »
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_underalbum.html

72. Forever Changes - Love

since when has that been under-rated!!! It's been universally acknowledged as a masterpiece for decades!
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

nimrod

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »

Tea for the Tillerman got rave revues back then and this one (Back To Earth) got nothing much good said about it but I think its a great album;

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »

since when has that been under-rated!!! It's been universally acknowledged as a masterpiece for decades!

Thats what I mean. That list doesnt hold up very well in my opinion.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »

If "underrated" means "ignored by the general public", then Forever Changes is underrated. If the word means "rated lower than it deserves by rock critics", then it's not underrated at all.

Funny enough, in that list the album was included at a much lower position than other lists of best of all times albums, like those by Rolling Stone and Mojo magazines.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:14:05 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »

If "underrated" means "ignored by the general public", then Forever Changes is underrated. If the word means "rated lower than it deserves by rock critics", then it's not underrated at all.

so Hombre my friend, when you started this good thread, which qualification was in your mind ?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »

so Hombre my friend, when you started this good thread, which qualification was in your mind ?

I tend to believe the second one is the correct definition, but I'm not a dictionary anyway. ;D

nimrod

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »

"ignored by the general public",

that seems right to me,

critics HAH ! who cares about critics ?

that being the case, Forever Changes WAS underrated

nimrod

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 10:37:37 PM »

when I was 18 (early 70's), me and a mate went to rare records in Manchester for a saturday arvo browse, there was a pile of lp's for 10 pence each (about 20 cents), almost giveaway ! so we both bought one even though we'd never heard of the artist.

after a few plays we though the album was ok but not a classic.

Anyway skip forward to 1986 and my move to Australia, I decided to thin down my LP collection and sold about a hundred to a dealer for around $80 or so, this included the 10 pence album.

skip forward again to 2010, my mate who is still in England just sold his on ebay for about $4000 !!!!!

I sh*t you not. ???

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »

anyway, I have a digital copy of it and it was underrated, there are some fine songs on there

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »

"ignored by the general public",

that seems right to me,

critics HAH ! who cares about critics ?

that being the case, Forever Changes WAS underrated

If you want a more precise definition, I would say that "underrated" means "rated lower than it deserves by those who have listened to the album". I mean, how can an album be underrated if it is not heard and, thus, rated?

In the case of Forever Changes, most opinions I've seen (by critics or general public) is that it's a great album, a timeless masterpiece, so I wouldn't say it's underrated. My point is that we should only consider the views of those who have actually listened to the album.

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 01:44:25 AM »

conversely Hombre, I was around and buying LP's when it came out, I bought it and a couple of mates did, other people I know thought it was quite boring, nothing special and didnt like it compared to the big names of the time, DJ's on the radio did not play it, the record label Electra decided to promote the Doors in a much bigger way than Love so even they didnt rate it highly.

Yes there are a number of people who love the album but it is still a cult album and those people (like me) treasure it, but generally in its day it was underrated by the powers that be and by large numbers of the record buying public.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:55 AM »

conversely Hombre, I was around and buying LP's when it came out, I bought it and a couple of mates did, other people I know thought it was quite boring, nothing special and didnt like it compared to the big names of the time, DJ's on the radio did not play it, the record label Electra decided to promote the Doors in a much bigger way than Love so even they didnt rate it highly.

Yes there are a number of people who love the album but it is still a cult album and those people (like me) treasure it, but generally in its day it was underrated by the powers that be and by large numbers of the record buying public.

Ok, it could have been underrated at its beginning, maybe because it wasn't as psychedelic as most rock music from the time, but it aged very well. Maybe it's a similar story like Odessey And Oracle: underrated at the beginning, appreciated with time.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »

Underrated means someone's heard it and thought it's not very good when it really is w/e they're a critic or not isn't a factor imo. If general public was a criteira then you could say Thriller is underrated 'cause only a minority of the public worldwide have bought it. Millions more people have chosen not to buy than have chosen to buy it so I think sales isn't really an issue. People who haven't heard Forever changes can't rate it so they can't underrate. It's only relevant what people who have heard it think.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

nimrod

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »

anyway you (or me) thinking that an album is underrated is only our opinion, which in itself is subjective, some people may think Forever Changes is overrated and that people enthuse over it even though its quite ordinary, its only someones opinion that its a great underrated album.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 2.176 seconds with 77 queries.