A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Books  (Read 9912 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Books
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »

I'm reading Philip Norman's Rolling Stones book, Symphony for the Devil. It's got me quite fond of Charlie Watts!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »

I need an unputdownable book to read. What was Reconstructing Amelia all about?

It was so good! It starts out with a mother getting a phone call from her daughter Amelia's high school saying that she was caught cheating and has been expelled. By the time she gets to the school, the daughter is dead: She either fell, jumped, or was pushed off the roof. A few days later, the mom gets an anonymous text: "Amelia didn't jump." Then it goes on to reconstruct the last few months of Amelia's life to find out exactly what happened on the roof.
~ A beach is a place where a man can feel / He's the only soul in the world that's real ~

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »

Re-reading an old childhood favorite, Summer of My German Soldier. Would be nice to track down the TV movie again sometime.
~ A beach is a place where a man can feel / He's the only soul in the world that's real ~

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »

Re-reading an old childhood favorite, Summer of My German Soldier. Would be nice to track down the TV movie again sometime.

That's one book I could never bring myself to get rid of. I remember watching the movie too.

Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

Did you ever read "Go Ask Alice?" Kathy? There was a TV movie for this one too. You might have been a little young for it at the time but I remember watching it even though I probably shouldn't have at age 10! But that book was really controversial when it came out in 1971 and it was still one that everyone read and talked about when I was in junior high, probably because we were led to believe that it was a true story. It was supposedly an anonymous girl's journal which made it all the more interesting. It turns out that it was written by a psychologist with an anti-drug agenda. When I found that out all these years later I felt really duped, not that I would have wanted it to happen to someone and I'm sure it did. The movie is pretty dated but interesting as a commentary on how society was at the time. Really scary stories like this one were rampant.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:07:14 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »

I didn't even think to look for Summer of/With My German Soldier online, Kelley; thanks for posting that!

Did you ever read "Go Ask Alice?" Kathy?

I came very close to picking that up at Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago. I'll try to track it down at the library. I hadn't realized it had been made into a movie. Thanks again.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 27 queries.