A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Thank you!

Author Topic: Rishikesh today  (Read 815 times)

• Getting Better
Rishikesh today
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

I´ve always wanted to see how the Rishikesh area looks today. I googled it and this is what I found:

Would be nice to see pics side by side, how it looked then and how it looks now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:03:31 PM by Brynjar »
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • That Means a Lot
Re: Rishikesh today
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »

Those are really interesting pictures Brynjar. I never really knew what the buildings were like. Sad that they are just crumbling away.

In my life I've loved them all

• One And One Is Two
Re: Rishikesh today
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »

Now, truth be told, i'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan.  ;sorry

However, I was rambling round India in 2010 and found myself in Rishikesh. I decided to visit the Beatles' ashram, mainly as I heard it was a bit of a crumbling ruin that was a quiet place to visit for free.

When I got there, the gates are overgrown and it seems to be in a forgotten part of town. An old man with the traditional dreadlocks of the baba holymen was waiting, asking for an entrance fee. Obviously, that wasn't an official fee so I sidestepped him and made my way through a hole in the fence.

Indeed, what I found there was a mass of crumbling buildings, each abandoned and left for the plants. But it was beautiful, the egg-shaped meditation chambers and emptied rooms seemed to me like a relic from a forgotten age.

I must confess that I don't really think that this should be a preserved monument, as it would simply turn it into a tourist hell-hole. Instead, I added my drawing and some of my favourite lyrics to the wall in the pictures above (including drawing a moustache on that beaming sun) and made a quiet tribute to the Beatles by walking around and reflecting on their career.

Anyways, that's my two-bob

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 40 queries.