Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: If you had to use ONE song to prove Ringo was better for the Beatles than Pete  (Read 4668 times)

Casbah

• A Beginning

I've had an exhausting conversation with a friend who swears the Beatles still could've made it with Pete Best. I'll spare you the monotony since we all know better.  But I used this song as an example (out of many) because of the way the drums just THUNDER through the verses. It's such a marked difference between when John sings his solo lines and the 2nd half of the verse where Ringo jams the beat down your throat and spine. Even in 1963 with crude recording equipment that was just haphazardly set up.

You can't tell me that if you were walking by the Star Club late one night  and heard this monstrous sound coming from the stage that you wouldn't be sucked in by the gravitational pull of the heaviest band out there at the time.  There's just NO WAY they could've achieved anything close to this with Pete Best.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJAHfZd2h80" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJAHfZd2h80</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJAHfZd2h80" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJAHfZd2h80</a>
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

I think your example is a bit unlucky. Pete was well known for the beat he put into the Beatles. It seems he could do not much more than that. I've just read the part on the Polydor recordings (My Bonnie and all that stuff) in Mark Lewisohn book Tune In. Pete was denied the basedrum and toms because he kept speeding up and slowing down, not able to keep the rhythm steady. It shows in these recordings that the beat is somewhat missing. There are a handful examples of recorded songs that both Pete and Ringo played on. Listen to the songs of the Decca audition with Pete: he keeps a monotone beat at best.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs

There are a handful examples of recorded songs that both Pete and Ringo played on. Listen to the songs of the Decca audition with Pete: he keeps a monotone beat at best.

The Beatles - Money (That's What I Want) {The Decca Audition} [Mono]

The Beatles - Money (Mono)

I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?

I still think 'I Feel Fine' is Ringo's best drumming song for the Beatles, but I wouldn't even use that one for this comparison.  Start at Revolver and keep going and you have tons of samples that Pete couldn't play.  I'd love to hear Pete's version of 'She Said She Said'.  How about 'A Day In The Life'?  'I Am The Walrus'?  'Strawberry Fields'?  'Helter Skelter'?  Cripes the list is almost endless. 

I have some Pete Best records and he isn't that good.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville

'Ticket To Ride' immediately comes to mind for me. Beautiful.

:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

'Ticket To Ride' immediately comes to mind for me. Beautiful.

:)

Should we use this one though, since Paul showed him what to play?   ha2ha

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville

Good point. Still, could Pete have done it as well?

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023

Should we use this one though, since Paul showed him what to play?   ha2ha

I think Paul told him what to play. Big difference  ;)

But there's other great examples. As you  listed before.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

I think Paul told him what to play. Big difference  ;)

Being a drummer, i'm not sure how somebody can just tell you what to play.  Sure there's terminology like a 4/4, 3/4, shuffle, half time and stuff like that, but how would somebody just tell you how to play 'A Ticket To Ride' without showing you a sample?  Not saying it isn't true or anything like that, but i'm interested in how Paul explained it.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023

Being a drummer, i'm not sure how somebody can just tell you what to play.  Sure there's terminology like a 4/4, 3/4, shuffle, half time and stuff like that, but how would somebody just tell you how to play 'A Ticket To Ride' without showing you a sample?  Not saying it isn't true or anything like that, but i'm interested in how Paul explained it.

Not being a drummer I sometimes did this in bands. Usually involved making silly noises and slapping on my guitar. Then the drummer would translate it into something actually useful.

Of course Paul might have showed him on the drums how he wanted the bits done in the style Paul wanted. Paul was competent enough to demonstrate what he wanted. Doubt he would have played it all the way through with Ringo's finesse though.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better

Love his drumming on Rain.  icon_king

Pete who????
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Page created in 0.771 seconds with 65 queries.