Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Letting Down A Generation?  (Read 7285 times)

Bobber

Letting Down A Generation?
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »

Any opinions on Martin Bryants opinion?

Why the Beatles are letting down a generation
 by Martin Bryant

Two of the most important bands in pop music history – the Beatles and the KLF – aren’t available on streaming services. At this stage, that’s a grave disservice to popular culture.

For musicians, there’s a lot wrong with streaming services. They replace substantial sales revenue with a trickle of income, and they arguably encourage listeners to snack on individual songs rather than appreciating whole albums as works of art.

And yet streaming is increasingly how listeners want to consume music, and what are musicians without their audience?

For the Beatles, the continued absense from Spotify, Apple Music and their ilk is thanks to the same ‘we’re premium and deserve special treatment’ attitude that meant I could never afford their CDs as a kid because they were generally priced way higher than anyone else’s even though they were already three decades old by that point. It’s the same attitude that held them off iTunes for years, too.

Yes, the Beatles‘ music has a special place in music history but now that much of their output is FIFTY years old, the multi-millionaires who guard the band’s estate (including surviving members Paul and Ringo) should embrace its place cultural history and make it available where people – especially young people who are exploring pop history for the first time – can easily access it.

As for the KLF’s music, that had a huge influence on pop music in the late 1980s and through the 1990s, even though they removed it all from sale in 1992 when they quit the music industry. It’s fondly remembered as some of the most inventive work of its era.

Under the name the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, they helped popularize the use of samples in music. The track below was a huge breakthrough when it came out in March 1987. It’s one of the very few songs by the band you can legally stream on Spotify, and incidentally, it samples the Beatles and borrows one of their song titles.

If you want to hear the vast majority of the KLF’s releases online, you have to find pirated copies. It’s been 23 years since the band deleted their catalog, and 23 is a number that cropped up regularly in their work. With that in mind, isn’t it time to bring it all back?

I respect musicians’ right to control their own work, but when it’s as significant as the Beatles‘ and the KLF’s work, it’s culturally irresponsible to hold it back.

This article first appeared in the TNW Weekly newsletter. Subscribe to receive the best of the week plus original material every Friday.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Letting Down A Generation?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »

excuse my ignorance , who is KLF and who is Martin Bryant?

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »

I hear The Beatles all the time on Pandora radio.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »

i can't recall Beatle CDs being more expensive than others at the time. They cost the same as others. They weren't discounted like some but that's a question of supply and demand.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »

I was going to ask the same??????????????????????

Beatles are on Apple iTunes, but anyways I agree, that Beatles Apple is way too greedy.  I'm especially tired of the re-re-releases that keep coming out, other than the 2014 mono "analog" LP set, that's a beauty and overdue!  Now I feel sorry for people who bought the 2012 digital LP set

But sets like the 2014 US CD set that doesn't even give you that 60's Capitol sound, it's just the same mixes from the 2009 UK set. What a rip off!
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »

Never mind KLF and/or Martin Bryant.

The question is whether you think that The Beatles are letting a whole generation down because their absence on streaming music services like Spotify. Taylor Swift is in the same camp and Prince pulled all his music away from these services as well.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »

The Bealtes and KLF.....a bit like talking about Barcelona and Acrrington Stanley Reserves.

Anyway, in Britain the Beatles CDs were always quite pricey as I think it was written into a contract that they had to be full price.
In 1993 the less than essential Red and Blue albums on CD retailed at about £30 each!

Can't speak for Spotify, because I really really don't care, but other 60s groups (Kinks, Monkees, Small Faces, Who) have far better releases on CD than the Beatles' equivalents.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »

I agree with the article (most of it, anyway -- I've never heard of KLF either). The Beatles aren't available to stream on Rhapsody, either. Their music should be more readily available, IMO, and thus I do think they are letting down a generation. 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »

I've been looking for a back-up CD player, and the lowest price I've seen is £30.

The advice I'd offer is.....
1. Buy one of them.
2. Buy the individual CDs for anything from 10p (the price I paid for a 'Revolver' in a charity shop) to £5 (the price I saw the White Album in a second hand record shop) and you're sorted for the whole Beatles' back catalogue for another £40.

In other words, do the polar opposite of what the record industry want you to do, AND in 30 years time you'll still own and be able to play the product.....unlike Spotify.
No brainer.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »

Google is your friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KLF

The KLF (also known as The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, The Timelords and other names) were a British acid house band of the late 1980s and early 1990s
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 12:13:03 AM »

I suppose if the Beatles can keep selling music on iTunes and other forms why put it on Spotify where I understand the remuneration rate is minuscule. It's not like they need the exposure. The Beatles are on Pandora as someone else has said but I'm not sure what their pay rate is.

There is a risk they could slip from general consciousness if they don't adapt to new forms of delivery but it's not going to happen overnight. They seemed to survive not leasing out their music for films, TV and advertisements for a long time.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 12:14:56 AM »

I mainly recall KLF for this.

http://youtu.be/hRA93KWL1eY

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 06:23:15 AM »

In a review in Mojo this month a writer, in passing, suggests that Bowie has surpassed The Beatles in terms of cultural importance in Britain.

I don't agree with that statement, but Apple have undoubtably let the grass grow under their feet while other artists have remained firmly in the public eye.
A few years ago there was a major Bowie exhibition at the V&A, next year The Stones will have a major exhibition (it, knowing Charles Saatchi, will be hideous and tasteless) at the Saatchi Gallery.

I haven't seen a Beatles CD in my local supermarket for at least three years (unlike Bowie, The Who, The Stones, The Kinks, Dylan, Dusty etc. etc.).

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 07:58:16 AM »

In a review in Mojo this month a writer, in passing, suggests that Bowie has surpassed The Beatles in terms of cultural importance in Britain.

I don't agree with that statement, but Apple have undoubtably let the grass grow under their feet while other artists have remained firmly in the public eye.
A few years ago there was a major Bowie exhibition at the V&A, next year The Stones will have a major exhibition (it, knowing Charles Saatchi, will be hideous and tasteless) at the Saatchi Gallery.

I haven't seen a Beatles CD in my local supermarket for at least three years (unlike Bowie, The Who, The Stones, The Kinks, Dylan, Dusty etc. etc.).

TBH other countries have always promoted and obsessed over The Beatles more than Britain, I remember when I lived in LA, USA in the 80's, they would have Beatles A - Z weekends where they would play their entire discography starting on Saturday morning, starting with A, never heard anything like that in the UK, they were always on the radio, here in Oz JB Hifi is stuffed with Beatle product and always has been, Sanity music is the same, LP's, Box sets, CD's you name it.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

Loved a-z weekends.  Made my own version on multiple cassettes in the 80's, some of the order of songs is fantastic alphabetically if I recall.

Now I have to make a playlist in alpha order...

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »

Loved a-z weekends.  Made my own version on multiple cassettes in the 80's, some of the order of songs is fantastic alphabetically if I recall.

I did that once. :)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »

The Bealtes and KLF.....a bit like talking about Barcelona and Acrrington Stanley Reserves.

Naaah... The Beatles are the Brazil 1970 squad whereas KLF are my local pub's over 40s five-aside team.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 03:36:13 AM »

The Beatles are Independiente 1984...

! No longer available

:)
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »

In the UK from the huge, and tragic, Beatle event in 1980 all the way through to the Anthology series in the mid-1990s, the Beatles were virtually invisible.

Sure, the CDs in 1987 and 1988 got  a bit of publicity, and the general public bought them in large numbers, but the NME and Melody Maker would, Stalin-like, pretend the group and the 60s had never existed.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 11:44:30 PM »

I think they've made a decent comeback since the 2009 reissues, and getting them on Rock Band on the gaming systems was huge.  They finally agreed to put their differences aside with Mac (Apple) and put their Library on iTunes as well, was also huge.

The 2014 mono analog LP set was also a hit, but a little too expensive for most to buy.

All in all, I think digital technology has made new fans....  icon_good  I think it kind of light a flame in me too!  icon_redface
Beatles music gives me Eargasms
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.292 seconds with 76 queries.