Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Paul coming to Oz!  (Read 11062 times)

stevie

• Getting Better
Re: Paul coming to Oz!
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2017, 06:37:59 AM »

Lol am dressed in my Abbey Road T. Catching the train in to the city soon from Ipswich where my wife's brother lives - kids will stay here and we'll train back after the gig. A huge storm just came thru the Gold Coast where we live with hail and stuff. Our cat is home alone and prolly going crazy lol.  Will post pics as I can.  Woohoo!!!!

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2017, 01:24:19 PM »

Absolutely awesome. Paul sounded unbelievable. Just perfect. Heading home on train now so more detail tomoz

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2017, 10:00:34 PM »

Absolutely awesome. Paul sounded unbelievable. Just perfect. Heading home on train now so more detail tomoz

Great to hear Stevie. I’m driving to Sydney now so am getting primed.   

KelMar

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2017, 02:23:54 AM »

Looking forward to it, Stevie! Glad to hear it was wonderful.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2017, 02:59:26 AM »

Home now but still buzzing. Oh man that was just the best. I had been worried all week that I would be deflated if Paul's voice sounded too ragged. I'd read some comments on Youtube on recent gigs. But when he kicked off with A Hard Days Night, well, that was all blown out of the water. Not one of my fave Beatle songs thru over familiarity, it sounded so rocky and loud and full of energy! Next was Junior's Farm, a favorite Wings song of mine  then Can't Buy Me love then Jet!  The perfect combo of opening songs!  The crowd was rocking!!  I had a good idea of the setlist and the order but it was still awesome hearing the intro to the songs. His banter and chat in between is pretty much scripted and the same for each gig but still funny and very entertaining.
My faves for the night - amongst many - were Queenie Eye, Live and Let Die, Blackbird, Back In The USSR and A Day In The Life. My wife is not a fan but she was very impressed by the overall quality and presentation and said that Paul is a real good entertainer. The band need to given far more credit - they truly are a loud and rocky band!!  Later i was musing that Paul could easily pick say, 30 different songs from his career and play them and not the favorites and it would be still be great! Imagine hearing Venus And Mars/Rock Show, No More Lonely Nights, Young Boy to name a few as well as Beatle tracks like Two Of Us, Magical Mystery Tour, Hey Bulldog etc. In fact he could do ANOTHER different 30 songs on top of that and it would rock!

I thought i would be a lot emotional than i was. At times I started to get teary - no shame in that lol - but the vibe of the songs soon had me singing and cheering. I think perhaps because  my trek to EBC was a more personal and emotional moment for me. I dunno, it was odd. I felt like i should be crying because I was watching a Beatle for the first time after 47 years of being a fan. Yeah I think my wife was surprised I wasn't lol, as she knows me.

Anyway it was a magnificent experience and one I will treasure all my life.  Enjoy Moog. You will love it

KelMar

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2017, 03:32:47 AM »

For some reason I thought that you had seen Paul before. Wow! That was an extra special evening then!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2017, 06:22:57 AM »

Sounds terrific Stevie. Thanks for the review.  I can’t wait.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2017, 08:02:31 PM »

KelMar

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »

It’s been a good year for our friend Stevie!

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »

It’s been a good year for our friend Stevie!

Sure has bro. And the random link between Everest and Macca?  66 days!  1966, the year the greatest album ever was released and also the year my Aussie rules team St.Kilda (also a Scottish island near Kintyre lol) won their only premiership flag!!  Its all linked in the cosmos!!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »

I can stay till it's time to go

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »

You're not wrong, HG!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2017, 02:14:14 AM »

I'm happy to hear you both had a great time, Steve.  I knew you would.

Now it's Moog's turn.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2017, 03:06:55 AM »

Paul McCartney - I've Just Seen A Face - Brisbane, Australia 09 December 2017

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtxz9GoGrtg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtxz9GoGrtg</a>

icon_good

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2017, 03:27:04 AM »

Wings Over America Tour 1976

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVttIa20XjI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVttIa20XjI</a>

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »

Terrific show. Everyone I went with loved it too.  icon_good

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »

I think Stevie’s highlights were close to mine as well. Blackbird I think came off very well. Seemed to fit comfortably in his range. And as Stevie said the band is excellent. It was good to forget you were hearing classic familiar songs and simply appreciate the intricate musicianship that was taking place.

Although to be honest it was hard to pick a particular highlight. Eleanor Rigby, the Golden Slumbers medley to finish, the jump scare fireworks on live and let die, the Scottish band on Mull of Kintyre,  his ukulele version of Something, all made up for a great show.

One I think deserves a mention was a great version of You Won’t See Me. It was done in the stripped down unplugged set. For a song that was basically filler on Rubber Soul, the performance really brought out what a well-constructed catchy song it was.

Another fun highlight was In Spite of all the Danger. For one because of the lighthearted performance of a sweet tune but also since my daughter knew all the words.  ;)

His voice is unsteady when singing at the higher party of his range. And, after kicking off with A Hard Days Night and Letting Go, when he first spoke to the audience his voice had an audible croak. I think everyone probably though then he could be completely losing his voice. But he settled in. Funnily enough his falsetto is still good. As are his screams. His vocal deficiencies are generally pretty well covered by the instruments and harmonies.

His stories are fun and well delivered. His recounting of the first quarrymen recording and the fate of the disc was genuinely funny.

Funniest part of the night though was when he mucked up Maybe I’m Amazed and stopped it to restart. He’d sung the wrong words and played some strange chords. (Unless he’s doing it on purpose every show for a laugh -Stevie?)

Cutest part was him interviewing the ten year old drummer in the Scottish pipe band after Mull of Kintyre.

All in all it was a great experience and well worth the money and effort. It would have been great to see him at the height of his powers but even at this part of his career he’s a fantastic performer and entertainer.

I’m going to sleep a happy chap.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »

Woohoo Moog! Yeah Yeah Yeah mate.

I'd forgotten to mention YWSM, which is, as you say, a filler on RS. I always skip it! Its mixed very louder than the other tracks for some reason, ruins the sequencing after the two great openers, has a very pedestrian backing track - the vocals and harmonies are tops though - and it doesn't have a riff which Macca mentions in the pre chat before he played it. But i was singing along with it the other night - it just sounded way better than the original which isn't always the case lol.
Didn't notice that MIA was mucked up lol. Paul says,'here's a song I wrote for Linda' and the piano begins. Maybe it was a genuine error Moog at your gig? Some other songs did have little intro bits added for a bit of tension - LALD for example.

Re his voice, yeah there was some craoky bits but I was truly blown away with how grat it sounded in those opening 4 songs. He does tend to sing certain lines and words from various songs slightly different to cover the tiny cracks but overall he was bloody awesome. HS was like the thrid last song and he was screaming it out!

I forgot to mention the negatives in my reviw - apologies for hijacking yours Moog lol! - but I didn't like BFTBOMK at all (its ok on Pepper with its mates but as a standalone its just a lod of sound to me lol. although Paul's bass sounded great on it. And the pre gig music was woeful - remixing of Beatles and solo stuff was annoying. They should've just played all the original songs that Paul wasn't gonna be dong in the show. My opinion anyway. Moog, what other songs would you like to have seen Paul do?

Some Facebook comments I read about people who'd seen him in oz so far described it as a religious experience. Pretty much was. My wife said I could get some type of Everest tattoo when I got back from Nepal. It may happen one day  - our budget doesn't allow for it at the mo lol - but if i do, i will add a Macca/Beatles thing to it. Even if i just have the dates i made it to EBC and saw Macca somewhere on my body, that will be enough. perhaps on the upper side of my back - i have a large ned Kelly tatt on the other side - and with the Abbey figures walking across in the middle.

Anyway Moog, i bet you are buzzing today, mate!!! 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »

Ha ha. Sounds like it was a genuine error in MIA then. He recovered well.

Yep I’m buzzing. Just had breakfast with the friends who went with me and they were still raving too.

Not sure there’s many songs I’d wish he’d done. I couldn’t complain at all with the selection. He even skipped Temporary Secretary, so I presume he reads this site and saw my objections.  ;D

I would have been happy with a few newer songs. He really just did Queenie Eye, New and 4, 5 Seconds. There’s no shortage of stuff from the last twenty years that’d be good to hear. But I can understand him not fitting them in. When he said he was going to do some new tunes half the house went off to get drinks and go to the loo. He might have caught some short by launching into Lady Madonna after doing just two newies.  ;)

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2017, 11:26:28 PM »

Lol! Queenie Eye was great, I really dig that song.

My wife didnt really know any of the songs except for the better known Beatles ones - she would listen and start nodding her head if she liked a certain one - she loved the acoustic ones as she's a fan of country and western type ones like IJSAF. 4/5 Seconnds she was waiting for and loved as she likes the 'original' lol. She didn't like IGAF.

Some ladies were dancing 2 seats iin front of us when one of the older ones fainted! Another lady rushed to tell securoty and a medic got there. The lady was fine but she left to be safe - it was about 10 so she only missed the encores.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 1.829 seconds with 77 queries.