Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Don't Bother Me  (Read 7727 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Don't Bother Me
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »

Quote from: 483

Anybody else miss Wayne!! Apparently a dirge like Don't Bother Me is equal to songs L & M were knocking out at the time. Like All My Loving, She Loves You, and I Want to Hold Your Hand. I never knew that! ;D

I love eccentric opinions... anybody want to stick up for "Ebony and Ivory?"

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 01:05:58 PM »

I badgered George to write again. The very first recording the Quarry Men did was of the Buddy Holly number 'That'll Be the Day' and an original number 'In Spite of All The Danger', by George Harrison and Paul McCartney. When they did their Hamburg recording sessions with Bert Kaempfert backing Tony Sheridan, they asked Kaempfert if they could record any of their original numbers. He listened to them and chose 'Cry For A Shadow', written by George Harrison and John Lennon. I mentioned this on the cover of Issue No. 2 of Mersey Beat in July 1961 that George had written the number.
Once the Beatles had begun recording and it was all Lennon & McCartney originals, I asked George why he wasn't writing. He didn't seem to have much confidence. I pointed out that the first mention of an original Beatles number in print was his number on the cover of Mersey Beat. I suggested he try a number with Ringo. He then wrote a song with Ringo and told me about it during another chat and I even mentioned the fact in Mersey Beat, although I don't know what the number was and it wasn't recorded.
So when I kept mentioning it to him when we met for drinks at the Blue Angel or the Cabin in Wood Street, it obviously had some sort of effect because when I was with them at a TV show in Blackpool George came up to me and thanked me. I asked him what for. He said that he was about to come out for a drink in town one night and then realised he'd meet me and I'd begin badgering him about writing a song again, so the title 'Don't Bother Me' came into his mind. He thanked me again, saying he'd already made over 7,000 pounds in royalties. I don't know why he didn't mention this in his book 'I Me Mine', but this is how it actually happened.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 01:23:48 PM »

You're a good egg, Bill! :)

George didn't mention much in his book 'I Me Mine', so I'm not surprised this anecdote was left out, too. I think you hit the nail on the head with the observation that "He didn't seem to have much confidence." Paul and John had confidence to spare, and I think that helps to fuel the creative process (at least in my case).

Thanks once again for sharing your experiences. It's always great to see you.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

Cheers Bill, it's always good to read your stories. Even though you just gave away one of the answers in the Beatles Mastermind quiz!! ;)

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »

Quote from: 483

Anybody else miss Wayne!! Apparently a dirge like Don't Bother Me is equal to songs L & M were knocking out at the time. Like All My Loving, She Loves You, and I Want to Hold Your Hand. I never knew that! ;D

email him and get him back then!
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 03:03:44 PM »

I like the song. It's very unusual compared to the others' work, and compared to all pop music in general at the time. I can't think of anything else quite like it. A different sort of melody, instrumental arrangement, subject matter, and it rocks. The dark tone simply punctuates something that helped make this band great: the power of diversity in their individual personalities and artistic sensibilities. A counter-punch to all the sweet stickiness that the others (brilliantly) put forward. I rate it very high.

:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »

i've always loved this track, i think it was a great start for George's writing.  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

snoozealarm

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »

I've always really liked the song too.

Interesting note: according to my teacher, the song is neither major nor minor -- it's "modal". Can't say more than that; my knowledge of music theory isn't that good.
You can talk to me. You can talk to me. You can talk to me. If you're lonely, you can talk to me.

BrandonFlorida

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 03:46:50 AM »

"Don't Bother Me" is one of my all time favorite songs and I listen to it all the time.  I think it's brilliant.

Melack

• A Beginning
  • I'm a Loser
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »

Even though "Don't Bother Me" is not as good as the best stuff Lennon/McCartney out out at the time it doesn't mean it's a filler.

Everything is not black and white. If we would compare everything to the best of Lennon/McCartney we wouldn't like that much music, would we?

I think just the fact that it's placed at number 4 shows it's not a "filler"

I love the song, very moody and dark, almost bitter.

It's the fourth song on the album and it's probably my fourth favorite song on the album.

Overall great song.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 11:56:27 PM »

I think just the fact that it's placed at number 4 shows it's not a "filler"

Your confusing me. Why cant a song be filler (which 'Dont Bother Me' is regardless if you like it or not) if its placed at #4? Thats silly.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »

^^^^ Thats true lots of albums i have open with a not so good song  , mind you i like some filler songs they are the ones that can grow on you in time .
George in his solo career as produced some great filler songs at least three or four on each album , he had a real knack for it  ;)

Melack

• A Beginning
  • I'm a Loser
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

Your confusing me. Why cant a song be filler (which 'Dont Bother Me' is regardless if you like it or not) if its placed at #4? Thats silly.

Of course a song can be filler even if it's placed at number 4. It doesn't feel like it to me when it comes to "Don't Bother Me"

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »

Of course a song can be filler even if it's placed at number 4. It doesn't feel like it to me when it comes to "Don't Bother Me"

Ok, its just you said that because it was placed in the 4th position it should be obvious that its not filler (but it is).

Melack

• A Beginning
  • I'm a Loser
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »

Ok, its just you said that because it was placed in the 4th position it should be obvious that its not filler (but it is).

Haha, we really don't agree about much so far! ;)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »

I've always really liked the song too.

Interesting note: according to my teacher, the song is neither major nor minor -- it's "modal". Can't say more than that; my knowledge of music theory isn't that good.

Any music theory people around to explain what modal is? I know major and minor, and that there are zillion kinds of minor scales, but modal?

Also, I remember reading George putting down the song quite heavily, at the time basically said he thought it was cr*p.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Dr Robert

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »

Really, it all comes down to your opinion. You might think that it's not a great song, and that it's filler, but that's only your opinion. For me, Don't Bother Me is my favorite song on With The Beatles. I'm more of a fan of the Beatles's work post the Help album, and aside from their big hits I can't much get into the songs on the early albums. But Don't Bother Me is an exception; I absolutely love it, and I would skip over every other song on With The Beatles to listen to it.

So again, it's all about perception. To me, DBM is the best song on the album; to you it may be filler.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 03:53:40 AM »

Any music theory people around to explain what modal is? I know major and minor, and that there are zillion kinds of minor scales, but modal?

MUSIC OF THE RUTLES UNDER REVIEW

;)
I can stay till it's time to go

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D
I love the Rutles!! There's an answer to everything in there!

I think DBM has an interesting vibe to it that marks it out from songs that were around at the time (not just Lennon/McCartney stuff). In it, I also feel I can get an inkling of George's later affinity to Indian music, which goes into that strange 'is it major or minor' feel.

(Not making much sense as I read this through, but I'm having a late night waiting for my printer to catch up with me!)

...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D
I love the Rutles!! There's an answer to everything in there!

Totally agree with that!!  ;D

I think DBM has an interesting vibe to it that marks it out from songs that were around at the time (not just Lennon/McCartney stuff).

Totally agree with that too.
It's not one of my favourite Beatles songs, Harrison songs, or even one of my favourites from WTB, but it definitely does sound different to just about everything else that was being released in 1963.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 94 queries.