Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Should the Beatles have got back together before John died?  (Read 5730 times)

Bobber

Re: Should the Beatles have got back together before John died?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 08:54:59 AM »

Well, you know Bobber, strangely enough, yes I think I do.

A megafan believes in the Beatles myth and legend (not my words, but ones used by others in this thread).

I guess I am not a megafan then. A bit silly statement to be honest.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 09:45:32 AM »

I guess I am not a megafan then.

For me, a megafan would want the Beatles to continue producing music together whatever the circumstances. OK, maybe they'd have made one or two average albums, but so what? They could maybe have settled down to a more normal existence and improved their inter-group relationships.

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »

Member of this board for more than 13 years. Most of the time as a moderator or administrator. But I'm not a megafan in your dictionary.
Owner of cupboards full of books, cd's, lp's, ep's, singles, both of The Beatles and their soloworks. Still I'm not a megafan.
I think I know a lot about The Beatles. I'm not Mark Lewisohn, that's for sure, but I regard myself as 'quite knowledgable'. Still no megafan.

2ch 

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »

Owner of cupboards full of books, cd's, lp's, ep's, singles, both of The Beatles and their soloworks. Still I'm not a megafan.
I think I know a lot about The Beatles. I'm not Mark Lewisohn, that's for sure, but I regard myself as 'quite knowledgable'. Still no megafan.

You're a meagfan of the individual Beatles but not of the Beatles as a group.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 01:34:05 AM »

So, it's official,  they were only in it for the money!

That's what they said, alright.  In unison!  If they stayed together throughout the 70s, they might have co-opted to the Disco Movement and would have sounded like this...

https://youtu.be/1EaQcyqjTUw

...and made money.   ;D

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 02:29:59 AM »

And maybe later on, Paul might have influenced the others to go techno...

https://youtu.be/puMeKgCQIxg

https://youtu.be/DyHbeBiM0BA

;D

I can stay till it's time to go

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 02:06:17 AM »

Any mega fan worth his or her salt should believe that the Beatles together would have remained a magical grouping.

If you doubt it, you're doubting the Beatle legend, which is the very thing you're striving to defend.

In my humble opinion, any mega fan would have seen how fractured the group had become by ‘69-‘70 and the fact they actually wanted to move on to individual lives with their significant others (John certainly made that clear by having Yoko by his side 24/7 - or, he did to irritate the others to the point of wanting to leave the band - either way, both were rather “kiss off” gestures).

Further, John and George had both become bitter over Paul’s efforts to keep the train rolling among other reasons. They not only wanted a break from one another - they needed a break from one another.

My preference is that they collaborated on one another’s solo works - which they did - and I would also liked to have seen them perform together on special occasions such as a benefit concert now and then.

Although, I think John sums it up best in this clip (one of my favorite moments):

https://youtu.be/Ds82Id_GMe8
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »

In my humble opinion, any mega fan would have seen how fractured the group had become by ‘69-‘70 and the fact they actually wanted to move on to individual lives with their significant others (John certainly made that clear by having Yoko by his side 24/7 - or, he did to irritate the others to the point of wanting to leave the band - either way, both were rather “kiss off” gestures).

Further, John and George had both become bitter over Paul’s efforts to keep the train rolling among other reasons. They not only wanted a break from one another - they needed a break from one another.

My preference is that they collaborated on one another’s solo works - which they did - and I would also liked to have seen them perform together on special occasions such as a benefit concert now and then.

Although, I think John sums it up best in this clip (one of my favorite moments):

https://youtu.be/Ds82Id_GMe8

"Significant others" ? You mean their wives? Paul showed you could be married and still do tours etc. George was sleeping with Ringo's wife and both would subsequently divorce. John had been with Yoko since the summer of '68 long before the separation.

"keep the train rolling" ? George didn't want to tour or do live shows. John did a live show in Toronto when the opportunity arose. Ringo loves touring and is still doing it fifty years later.So maybe it wasn't just Paul who wanted to do a live show.

"they collaborated on one another's solo works" ? They all helped Ringo now and again, and George helped John a bit at the beginning but he soon stopped when he realised Lennon would be giving nothing in return. After that no collaboration at all between John, Paul and George until Lennon was shot. I think you're living in cloud-cuckoo land.

"perform together on special occasions" ? This is just wishful thinking. Lennon refused to do Bangladesh without Yoko. This problem would have come up again when he was back with her. And anyway, the Beatles refused time after time offers of millions of dollars to do just one show.

The clip you chose is particularly inappropriate. This interview was when Lennon was adrift from Yoko and vaguely thinking about trying to reunite the Beatles. It was too little too late. Paul was doing fine with Wings and George would never have agreed to it.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 12:47:23 AM »

I’ve often wondered what another Beatles album would have sounded like.  It seems a common assumption that post-60s Beatles would have been a letdown.  It’s hard to believe they could have maintained their quality over time.

I still think it would have been interesting to see them grow older while working together.  What kind of music would they have created as they aged from the 20s all to way until now to the 70s?

We probably missed out on some real gems that never saw the light of day.  Could there have been a masterpiece or two?

John said all you had to do was assemble their solo stuff but I think they worked so well together that maybe there’s stuff they’d have composed that would never have appeared on any of their solo albums.

If there are parallel universes in which alternate histories are realized, I wish I could visit one in which the Beatles continued to record together even if infrequently (or one in which John never met Yoko).
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 11:15:01 AM »

Ive thought about a post Beatles Beatle album a lot, Ive made up songlists from their solo work, as Im sure many of us have.
Id like a 'pot boiler' as an opening track and something grand for closing the album. I chose George's What Is Life and Pauls Maybe Im Amazed.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2018, 06:56:33 PM »

I’ve often wondered what another Beatles album would have sounded like.  It seems a common assumption that post-60s Beatles would have been a letdown.  It’s hard to believe they could have maintained their quality over time.

I still think it would have been interesting to see them grow older while working together.  What kind of music would they have created as they aged from the 20s all to way until now to the 70s?

We probably missed out on some real gems that never saw the light of day.  Could there have been a masterpiece or two?

John said all you had to do was assemble their solo stuff but I think they worked so well together that maybe there’s stuff they’d have composed that would never have appeared on any of their solo albums.

If there are parallel universes in which alternate histories are realized, I wish I could visit one in which the Beatles continued to record together even if infrequently (or one in which John never met Yoko).

A parallel dimension where they never broke up? Say no more Loco ....

http://www.thebeatlesneverbrokeup.com

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »

I think that’s right. I think of the best of the solo material as the “base” of what we could have expected. Who knows how that might have changed or turned into different material through them working together. Or whole other songs inspired by the competition among the three main songwriters.  We can only dream.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 01:03:00 AM »

Thanks, Moogmodule, for the link.

I remember seeing this before but I will visit it again and listen to the songs.

The 1st one wouldn't have been done IMO because it would have been a Paul-George collaboration and I don't think they'd have done that.  Those two songs sounded much better separately anyway.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »

Yes, thanks for the link. Good fun.

The only thing you can be sure of is that a post-breakup album would never have sounded anything like this!

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »

What an awful album!!  Thank God they never got back together in this particular universe.

jamesbjorkman

• A Beginning
    • Everything Paul McCartney
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 12:37:21 AM »

I bet they all secretly wanted to get back together. Once you make that break, though, it is tough to put it all back together again. Yoko wasn't the problem, John left her anyway around 1973. Getting as rich and famous as they did was the cause of their demise, each knew they could create their own little kingdom and rule without being bothered by these other guys cramping their styles. They didn't get together to make history, they did it to make hit records. They did that. There was no Plan B.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »

I bet they all secretly wanted to get back together.

I disagree.

And the main Beatle who didn't want the group to get back together was George.

I'm pretty sure he only did Anthology for the money he needed to finance his film ventures.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »

What an awful album!!  Thank God they never got back together in this particular universe.

Somebody did a hell of a lot of work putting that together  :o

I enjoyed it, loved track 3 in particular
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »

Somebody did a hell of a lot of work putting that together  :o

I enjoyed it, loved track 3 in particular

Yep. Seems someone was showing off their engineering skills and thought they’d append it to a sci fi short story. Might be his defence against a copyright infringement  case too  ;)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 10:22:38 PM »

I think James Richards is Paul.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.791 seconds with 77 queries.