Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Should the Beatles have got back together before John died?  (Read 5731 times)

Bulldog

• A Beginning
Re: Should the Beatles have got back together before John died?
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 04:47:24 PM »

The Beatles were still young when they split. Plenty of time to record together again. However in 1980 they were a million miles from reforming. John had resurfaced & had plans with Yoko - more albums, a tour. Paul had just started a solo career after Wings.

From 1980 onwards, the 4 of them would have met each other & recorded on each others albums. They knew each other as people & musicians very well. There is a chance the 4 of them would have shared a studio together, although it would have been low profile & not under 'The Beatles' banner.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »

A live performance may have been 'Live Aid'. Bob Geldorf was very persuasive. The Beatles may have liked the idea of being just one of a number of artists for a charity gig.

Otherwise the multi million pound offers would have just kept increasing until The Beatles agreed to share a stage. This may have lead to a huge multi million pound tour.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »

The 3 surviving members got together in the 90's. Paul said he didn't believe John would have agreed, due to being upset about George's book. I disagree, surely John would have got over it.

A 90's reunion with the 4 of them may have included the interesting anthology albums. However the documentary told fans nothing new. This may have been replaced by an album of new songs. With the 4 of them still alive, the creative juices may have returned.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 05:02:06 AM »

I read something, recently which would be very outrageous if it was actually true and I am still trying to verify it, but in 1980, John and Paul had been talking and they decided that John would fly over to London and do some tracks with Paul.  Unfortunately, they couldn't work out their schedules and they decided to shelve it until some time in the new year.
Sadly, Chapman took John's life and the semi-reunion  never happened but had it happened, John would've not been killed as he would've been in the UK.

I will dig around and see if I can find this...
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 09:07:52 AM »

I read something, recently which would be very outrageous if it was actually true and I am still trying to verify it, but in 1980, John and Paul had been talking and they decided that John would fly over to London and do some tracks with Paul.  Unfortunately, they couldn't work out their schedules and they decided to shelve it until some time in the new year.
Sadly, Chapman took John's life and the semi-reunion  never happened but had it happened, John would've not been killed as he would've been in the UK.

I will dig around and see if I can find this...

I heard about this recently. DJ Richard Skinner said Paul rang him on the day John died & told him this. Paul did not want to do a radio interview with him.

Paul has never said whether this is correct or not. Only ever saying him & John were talking on the phone about cats, family etc. This sounds better than saying they had not engaged since his visit to John in 1976.

Would be surprised if correct. John was very busy in America with Yoko. Yoko would not want John going to England after finishing her single 'Walking on thin ice'. She didn't even tell John about a telegram Paul sent to the recording studio.

One of John's last interviews he said 'The long & winding road' was Paul's 'last cusp'.  Paul is on tape saying he disagreed & has his suspisions why John has a problem with him. Which refutes that they were on friendly terms.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »

https://youtu.be/rahVzJ7VXY8

The end of this video Paul talks about John.

John was also negative towards Paul in a 'Newsweek' article. Saying 'what's that supposed to mean' regarding something Paul had said & saying him & Paul knew 'zilch' about each other.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »

John was also negative towards Paul in a 'Newsweek' article. Saying 'what's that supposed to mean' regarding something Paul had said & saying him & Paul knew 'zilch' about each other.

John Lennon Interview: Newsweek, 9/29/1980

I can stay till it's time to go

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 07:07:10 PM »

Ringo said he rang the others about reforming in the 70's. There had been another huge offer for a one off concert.

Ringo said the Beatles concerts were always short. He said the money they were offerring 'you could buy a new suit with that'.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »

George & Paul had recorded together in 1979.

George, Paul & Ringo had shared a stage at Eric Clapton's wedding. Paul confirmed this in a 1980 television interview & spoke about the Beatles reforming. Sounding very negative about any chance.

Both John & Paul had arranged to work with Ringo. Seperately.

It seems the problem in 1980 was John was upset at George's book 'I, me, mine' & John & Paul were not on friendly terms.

Fred Seaman's book said George called John at the Dakota in 1980 & left a message. John knew about it but did not call back. Paul sent a 'good luck' telegram to John after finding out he had returned to the studio. Yoko did not tell John about it.

John said himself just before he died 'I haven't seen any of the Beatles for I don't know how long'.

The last Beatle John saw before he died was Ringo. Fred Seaman's book has a picture of them together & John had agreed to work on Ringo's album.

Wings had just split up so Paul may not have wanted to be in a group again for a while. John had just resurfaced with Yoko. George did not seem interested. Ringo would have just gone with the flow.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »

Remember the 10th anniversary of John's death. Several people said John may have been in a band such as 'The Travelling Wilburys' had he lived. That would have got George & John talking to each other.

Paul was doing his own mega tours (to help pay the rent) at this time. So unlikely the four of them would have recorded together.

The mid 90's seems the most likely time for a full reunion with an alive John. Unless John had decided to have another break from the music business.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 11:13:08 PM »

I've often wondered what John would have done after "Milk and Honey."

There's a book about John in which Yoko said that he asked her about possibly recording with Paul again.  I heard he liked Paul's "Coming Up" and by implication Paul's parody of him in the video.

If I can find the quote, I'll post it.  (I do have the book but I think my brother has it at his house somewhere).
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2019, 08:38:39 AM »

John said he had enough material for the second & some of a third album. He also planned to go on tour & was interested in writing a musical - 'The Ballard of John & Yoko'. John seemed determined to make Yoko a rock star & believed she was ahead of her time.

All of the above would have taken John into the mid 1980's.

The only possibility of a early/mid 80's  Beatles reunion would have been 'Live Aid'. John & Paul would have been approached. However both had been performing live without each other for 15 years, so may have preferred solo slots.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »

The only reunion that would have excited me would have been new material under the Beatles name.

I became a Beatles fan because of the music rather than because of their concerts. Would hope they would have only released new material as 'The Beatles', if they believed it was as good as their old music.

John & Paul being in the studio together, or even the 4 of them (as non Beatles) being in the studio together would not mean much. They would have an excuse for releasing inferior material by saying this isn't 'The Beatles'.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 59 queries.