Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You Know My Name?  (Read 3467 times)

apple sauce

• Getting Better
You Know My Name?
« on: April 19, 2005, 12:53:56 AM »

This seemed like a great departure for the Beatles style of music and I was just wondering what everone thinks of this song? It seemed like a vaudvillian song that would be done in between acts at an old strip club.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
Re: You Know My Name?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 07:16:26 AM »

The source of the song is not generally known amongst Beatle fans. In 1965, a British newspaper, "The Liverpool and London Echo", ran an anti-Fab editorial in which they said that the Beatles could sing the telephone directory, and get a hit out of it, so undiscriminating were the fans.

Immediately the provocative Lennon decided to do just that. The Beatles recorded a 7-minute track singing from late S and early T in the telephone directory, including intitials and addresses and telephone numbers. Then EMI put pressure on that they should remove the phone numbers. John could not see the point, as people, knowing the name, could look up the number.

No sooner was this out of John's mouth that the phrase he had used "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" became the catchphrase of this great new song. It evolved quickly into the track we know and love today.

D'ya believe me?  8)

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 07:21:28 AM »

i believe you

MrMustard11

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:59:38 AM »

I like the story, whether it's true or not...

But i don't see it happening... I think john wrote songs like I Am Walrus for reasons like that... But I wouldn't see him trying to sing names and numbers from a book...

But let me know if I'm wrong... If the story is true, I'd love to know!

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 02:33:10 PM »

It's a fun song to listen to. :) I like it, and apparently so does Paul. I think he once said it was his favorite.

And it's still got talent. A really good song, this is.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 03:47:01 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
The source of the song is not generally known amongst Beatle fans. In 1965, a British newspaper, "The Liverpool and London Echo", ran an anti-Fab editorial in which they said that the Beatles could sing the telephone directory, and get a hit out of it, so undiscriminating were the fans.

Immediately the provocative Lennon decided to do just that. The Beatles recorded a 7-minute track singing from late S and early T in the telephone directory, including intitials and addresses and telephone numbers. Then EMI put pressure on that they should remove the phone numbers. John could not see the point, as people, knowing the name, could look up the number.

No sooner was this out of John's mouth that the phrase he had used "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" became the catchphrase of this great new song. It evolved quickly into the track we know and love today.

D'ya believe me?  8)

A good, sound, reasonable explanation.

Completely untrue of course.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 07:02:59 PM »

ive never heard it

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 08:30:18 PM »

Quote from: lennonlegend
ive never heard it

Never heard what? The song, or my tale?

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 12:29:16 AM »

Released as a "B-side" to "Let It Be" this songs origins actually occured when John saw the sentence "You have their name look up their number" on the cover of a telephone directory at a Post office. It was recorded after Sgt Pepper, but abandond til 1969 when it was resumed for some reworking. Not as great as "Ydoll's tale" but alas true!

sexy sadie

• Getting Better
  • once there was a way to get back home...
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 01:16:16 AM »

i love it. this reminds me sooo much of when i 1st moved into my current house. i was in 2nd grade, and my parents had recently purchased Pastmasters: Volume 2. they would put it on all the time, and of all the songs on that album, this one sticks out the most in my memory. me & my sister always found it hilarious, and we memorized it immediately. to this day, i always think back to the spring time whenever i hear it. :) it's funny and catchy! sorry for the rambling, just thought i'd share  ;D
Ashley*

one sweet dream, pick up the bags and get in the limousine. soon we'll be away from here. step on the gas and wipe that tear away. one sweet dream came true today...

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8264/jsj21oc.jpg[/img

sexy sadie

• Getting Better
  • once there was a way to get back home...
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 01:18:22 AM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn

D'ya believe me?
Ashley*

one sweet dream, pick up the bags and get in the limousine. soon we'll be away from here. step on the gas and wipe that tear away. one sweet dream came true today...

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8264/jsj21oc.jpg[/img

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 07:23:33 AM »

There's a great bootleg CD-R called YOU KNOW MY NAME (LOOK UP THE NUMBER). Here are the tracks:

1. YKMN (long version made by editing together B-side and Anthology versions)
2. What's The New Mary Jane (long, unedited version - unedited in the sense that Anthology version was edited)
3. 12 Bar Original (longest known version)
4. Dig It (longest known version: 8+ minutes)
5. Revolution 9 (different mix, from an acetate)
6. What's The New Mary Jane (single edit)
7. YKMN (single edit)

This is quite a brilliant and eccentric CD. Its cover is based on the 1968 Xmas flexi cover.

The "single edits" refer to the almost-released Plastic Ono Band single, containing YKMN on the A-side, and Mary Jane on the B.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 07:29:54 AM »

I read years ago (Alan Carrs book I think) that the Beatles toyed with this as an A side, but couldn't because of legal reasons.
Is this so?
I've always thought the song was interesting, but not single material. I can't imagine it selling. (what if that had been the last single?)
don't follow leaders

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 10:44:11 AM »

John wanted it out under the Beatles name, with YKMN as A-side, Mary Jane as B-side. Then he went for it as a Plastic Ono band release. It got as far as a serial number for the single "APPLES 1002". It was going to be the follow-up to Cold Turkey. But it got canned in favor of Instant Karma. In any case, Paul at least was a bit concerned (if I remember aright) about what were really Beatle recordings going out as Plastic Ono band material.

I THINK I've got these details right, but I'm going on sheer memory here. Correct me if I'm wrong!

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 11:02:45 PM »

Its a great bit. Brian Jones' sax is cool too.

MrMustard11

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 06:18:09 AM »

I've written a song that has the same progression but different chords (I swear I didn't know I used the progression until I played the recording back!  ;D), but it's very different... Different sound all together (though at the end it comes back as a jazzy jam like the end of YKMN 8))...

Sorry for the off topic post, I just thought it was interesting that the song came out in my own writing...

Sorry for the spam :B ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 10:22:06 AM »

SPAM ON!!!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 01:42:38 PM »

Too many people spam on, but his dog probably only has three legs.

strawb3rryfi3ldsfor3ver

• Getting Better
  • What filthy ways are these?
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 02:31:41 AM »

._. I've heard it once. Liked it a lot, though -- pure Beatle madness. <3
[face=Courier]Things they do look awful c-c-cold... yeah, I hope I die before I get old.[/face]

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 11:09:49 AM »

pimping yourself ain't spamming to me....
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 77 queries.