Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The White Album, Abbey Road & Let It Be.  (Read 17969 times)

Wayne L.

The White Album, Abbey Road & Let It Be.
« on: May 19, 2004, 07:02:42 PM »

The Beatles(White Album), Abbey Road & Let It Be are creatively, musically & artistically " superior classic rock albums " by the Beatles than the rest of their catalogue while one is " highly underrated " for some reason because of the breakup despite the music on it being great while the other two are rock & roll masterpieces showcasing John, Paul, George & Ringo at their finest as a " solid rock & roll band " during the late 60's even with the personal & professional differences between Lennon & McCartney at the time but being a " kind of bias " myself to this era of the band with their longer hair, outspoken attitude with more emphasis on rock more than pop since I'm an old hard rock fan as well I think the White Album, Abbey Road & LIB are the best!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: The White Album, Abbey Road & Let It Be.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 08:30:49 PM »

I'll bite!

White Album: An unexpected masterpiece. How they did all this wonderful music amidst all the fighting and tension is amazing. Just think of all the great songs: Back In The USSR, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, Yer Blues, Everybody/Monkey, Sexy Sadie,  ... god, I must stop typing, there's so many ... I've got blisters on my fingers!

Let It Be: A sad hodge podge of mediocre tracks from a band that had lost it all. The brief flicker of the rooftop "concert" is like the last burst of red from the setting sun

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 12:56:46 AM »

Come on Ria, quit giving the newbies the false indication that George had the best song on the album with his cheerful, poppy "Here Comes The Sun" when thats not even HIS best song on the record (by the way "You Never Give Me Your Money" is the best song on the record). I look at it this way, consider George lucky to even have two tunes on the album (John was in a rut).

I'll agree with you on the the other two album reviews.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 01:09:56 AM »

I love the Let It Be album. It's stripped down good old rock n roll.  None of the over produced stuff that they could never even attempt to play live.  (But which I also love!)Lennon's Dig a Pony and Don't Let Me Down rock and Across the Universe is a clasic.  Two of Us and I've Got a Feeling are SO underrated and never played on the radio.  Great collaborations from the boys. Harrison's For You Blue is just as catchy as his other more well known stuff, but who ever hears it? McCartney's Get Back! Who doesn't know that song by heart? Let it Be is beautiful and never gets old. He sang it at the Concert for NY and there was not a dry eye in the house. People can rag on Macca all they want, but his material speaks for itself. Even some of his solo stuff still stands up.  As well as his bandmates does at any rate. Oh, and I love One After 909. What a great little rock and roll song from their early writing days! I didn't mention The Long and Windng Road, because it's not one of MY favorites, but even Lennon complimented that one. Well, in a round about way anyway. He said it was McCartneys last gasp of creativity or something to that effect! :)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 07:30:37 AM »

Come on Ria, quit giving the newbies the false indication that George had the best song on the album with his cheerful, poppy "Here Comes The Sun" when thats not even HIS best song on the record (by the way "You Never Give Me Your Money" is the best song on the record). I look at it this way, consider George lucky to even have two tunes on the album (John was in a rut).
I'll agree with you on the the other two album reviews.

OK, TK. Let battle commence.

I used to think Come Together was top AR song, then I went with I Want You. Something I never liked a great deal: and I don't know why; perhaps in the end it sounds a little forced to my ears. So for several years now, I've been gaining increasing respect for Here Comes The Sun.

But as for You Never Give Me Your Money

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 08:46:22 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=1 date=1084998649]
Let It Be: A sad hodge podge of mediocre tracks from a band that had lost it all. The brief flicker of the rooftop "concert" is like the last burst of red from the setting sun

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 09:47:07 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=4 date=1085038237]

OK, TK. Let battle commence.

I used to think Come Together was top AR song, then I went with I Want You. Something I never liked a great deal: and I don't know why; perhaps in the end it sounds a little forced to my ears. So for several years now, I've been gaining increasing respect for Here Comes The Sun.

But as for You Never Give Me Your Money

Wayne L.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 01:39:55 PM »

You have be " musically educated " & mentally insane calling Abbey Road Paul's first solo album.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 02:15:15 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=6 date=1085046427]

Alright. Your asking me what "yellow lorry slow" means (actually a lorry is like mac truck or an 18 wheeler and the verse means that Paul was saying whoa or slow down to the driver of the truck because of traffic or a dead end)

[/quote]

I don't think it's that easy to explain.
A lorry is a truck but not necessarily a huge one.I don't think Paul is telling the truck to slow down.It's more of an image from way back when he would take on any job and for some reason this truck came to mind.
And in the context it seems to work...but that's a subjective feeling that you have or you don't.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 05:47:52 PM »

"Yellow lorry slow " could simply mean he's stuck behind a truck which is taking up the whole road and he can't get past it - an everyday occurence on our small British roads! I thinks it's a metaphor - frustration at wanting to get somewhere (or achieve something) but inevitably things always get in the way.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 08:06:52 PM »

[quote by=Zep_Fan link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=5 date=1085042782]

:o I Me Mine, Dig A Pony, Get Back, For You Blue, I've Got A Feeling, Don't Let Me Down, and Two Of Us are some of their best songs!
[/quote]

Some of their best songs? Each to his own, but I think that's an astounding thing to say.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 08:10:56 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=6 date=1085046427]

------
As for the Beatles being dried up in this time period,,,,,I dont necessarily agree. They were in a creative funk, but there were still some gems. I'm glad Abbey Road was made and I feel it was a great way for the Beatles to go out. I would have been disappointed if they gave up with the unfinished 'Let it Be' project lingering. Abbey Road was good and it gave them that last pulse of magic.

[/quote]

I know that most people love AR. But I would have (in retrospect) been much happier if the White Album had been their last, and the Yellow Sub Movie and a proper soundtrack was a kind of an encore. Leave the fans wanting more.

Abbey Road has a little too much of the Macca/Martin gloss for my liking.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 08:16:14 PM »

[quote by=Wayne_L. link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=7 date=1085060395]You have be " musically educated " & mentally insane calling Abbey Road Paul's first solo album. [/quote]

Thanks for that contribution Wayne.

I think you meant "muscially uneducated"! But I like it as it stands: You have to be musically educated

NGM

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 09:41:37 PM »

I personally like all of them =/

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 09:50:24 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=11 date=1085083856]

I know that most people love AR. But I would have (in retrospect) been much happier if the White Album had been their last, and the Yellow Sub Movie and a proper soundtrack was a kind of an encore. Leave the fans wanting more.

Abbey Road has a little too much of the Macca/Martin gloss for my liking.

[/quote]

Leave the fans wanting more?
That's exactly what they did.
Because they didn't stop after the White album fiasco.

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 11:08:27 PM »

[quote by=zipp link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=14 date=1085089824]

[/quote]

But they didn't leave us wanting more of the group. If all they could do was the half finished songs on Road, and the mediocre songs on Let It Be; if they could ignore the good stuff Harrison was doing, as showcased during the Get Back Sessions; if they were going to continue squabbbling and fighting; THEN thank God they quit! 1969 is a blot on the Fab landscape.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 01:19:04 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=15 date=1085094507]

But they didn't leave us wanting more of the group.
[/quote]

Oh boy. I respectfully disagree. We STILL want more! To this day, the Beatles are the biggest selling band! Every few years they seem to put out SOMETHING new or semi-new. And it usually sells as if they were still a functioning band. Yea, I think it's because we not only want but crave more. And more, and more, and more. Well, I know I do. And I love Let it Be. It's briliant. Great rock songs.
"Everybody had a hard year
Everybody had a good time
Everybody had a wet dream
Everybody saw the sun shine
Oh yeah!"

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 12:27:03 AM »

[quote by=zipp link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=14 date=1085089824]

[/quote]

Fiasco? The White Album was better than anything after it.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 08:25:08 AM »

[quote by=Wayne_L. link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1084993362,s=0 date=1084993362]The Beatles(White Album), Abbey Road & Let It Be are creatively, musically & artistically " superior classic rock albums " by the Beatles than the rest of their catalogue while one is " highly underrated " for some reason because of the breakup despite the music on it being great while the other two are rock & roll masterpieces showcasing John, Paul, George & Ringo at their finest as a " solid rock & roll band " during the late 60's even with the personal & professional differences between Lennon & McCartney at the time but being a " kind of bias " myself to this era of the band with their longer hair, outspoken attitude with more emphasis on rock more than pop since I'm an old hard rock fan as well I think the White Album, Abbey Road & LIB are the best![/quote]

Maybe we should get back to the original question (no pun intended).
Nobody seems to agree with Wayne that all three albums are classic rock albums.
I don't agree either that they're superior to a lot of their prevous albums, which is also what Wayne seems to be saying.

Wayne L.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 01:22:09 PM »

I think the White Album, Abbey Road & Let It Be are superior to the other classic rock albums by the Beatles showcasing them as a solid rock & roll band despite the personal & professional diffferences between John & Paul at the time.  My favorite era of the band is during the late 60's with their longer hair, outspoken attitude with a more emphasis on rock more than pop while the music itself isn't over produced as in their highly overrated masterpiece Sgt. Pepper which is why the White Album, Abbey Road & LIB are my favorite albums.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 70 queries.