Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Young people of today don't care about the Beatles  (Read 13887 times)

Re: Young people of today don't care about the Beatles
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2006, 08:07:23 PM »

i'm pretty much the onli one at my school who digs them

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2006, 08:07:23 PM »

Quote from: 130
I disagree; I truly think mainstream music right now is extremely unimpressive.  

Then we don't disagree.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »

Quote from: 395
You can listen on the internet all you want to, just like I do as well, but that still doesn't mean the young people of today dig the Beatles.

Well, people have a lot more music to choose from now than 40 years ago. I think their current popularity is pretty impressive for a band that called it quits 36 years ago.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 11:33:27 AM »

For those who lament the state of modern music, it's interesting to note that in '67 the three top selling singles in the UK were all by Englebert Humperdink.  Scott MacKenzie (one hit wonder) and Procol Harem are the only "cool" acts are in the list. The Monkees (manufactured pop in '67) are their too.
68 is worse. Lois Armstrong, Des O'connor, Tom Jones (twice), Leapy Lee. Only rock acts are Union Gap (hardly cool0, The Equals (reggae) and The Beatles (in at 10 with Hey Jude.
Mainstream radio music has always been "crap". I don't think it's any worse today. In fact I'd say that at least here in the UK the rock scene is very healthy. Though this is not reflected in the charts or what's played on mainstram radio. Just as it wasn't in the "goldern days" either,
don't follow leaders

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »

Quote from: 185
For those who lament the state of modern music, it's interesting to note that in '67 the three top selling singles in the UK were all by Englebert Humperdink.  Scott MacKenzie (one hit wonder) and Procol Harem are the only "cool" acts are in the list. The Monkees (manufactured pop in '67) are their too.
68 is worse. Lois Armstrong, Des O'connor, Tom Jones (twice), Leapy Lee. Only rock acts are Union Gap (hardly cool0, The Equals (reggae) and The Beatles (in at 10 with Hey Jude.
Mainstream radio music has always been "crap". I don't think it's any worse today. In fact I'd say that at least here in the UK the rock scene is very healthy. Though this is not reflected in the charts or what's played on mainstram radio. Just as it wasn't in the "goldern days" either,

I don't understand; are you suggesting that his presence on the list is bad?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2006, 08:10:42 AM »

I don't understand; are you suggesting that his presence on the list is bad?

No. It just seems to me that people think that in the 60's mainstream radio (and therefore mainstream music itself)  was pumping out endless Who. Beatles, Stones etc music. It wasn't. Mainstream music (as defined by what was in the charts and played on mainstream radio) was just as unrock and uncool to a rock fan then as it was now. The album charts are also populated by more "crap" music than rock acts. Loius isn't bad (he's great) but he doesn't represent what rock kids were listening to. (and here's something spooky - a car just pulled up outside my window and Loius's Wonderful World is playing. It's a sign!).
I'm just saying mainstream music is no better or worse than it's ever been, and that the rock scene is very healthy.
don't follow leaders

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2006, 08:25:46 PM »

No. It just seems to me that people think that in the 60's mainstream radio (and therefore mainstream music itself)  was pumping out endless Who. Beatles, Stones etc music. It wasn't. Mainstream music (as defined by what was in the charts and played on mainstream radio) was just as unrock and uncool to a rock fan then as it was now. The album charts are also populated by more "crap" music than rock acts. Loius isn't bad (he's great) but he doesn't represent what rock kids were listening to. (and here's something spooky - a car just pulled up outside my window and Loius's Wonderful World is playing. It's a sign!).
I'm just saying mainstream music is no better or worse than it's ever been, and that the rock scene is very healthy.

I agree with that; I found a list of the Top 100 songs from each year since, like, 1960 or something.  If I can find it, I will post it, but the results are shocking.

BigMachine

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2006, 02:08:32 AM »

A family down my street listen to the Beatles. The kids too.

I've been listening to classic rock since age 11, the Beatles were my favorite band, and I'm right now still a huge fan, I've got all kinds of stuff of the Beatles in my room. I'm 17 right now, but what's funny is that I listen to a lot of modern rock. I am a huge, HUGE fan of Papa Roach, I listen to Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Godsmack, Disturbed, a little bit of Green Day, but I am still a huge fan of The Beatles, and I like lots of music from the classic rock eras, such as Badfinger (in my top 5 list), CCR, Elvis, The Zombies, Ritchie Valens, and all kinds of sh**.

So, you may see some kids blasting out heavy modern bands, but you might not guess that a few of them are also listeners of the Beatles.
Another great forum for music fans... [glow=red]Paradise City[/glow]

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2006, 01:07:09 PM »

^ Always great to hear of someone who likes heavier stuff, but also has time for other genres - and vica versa.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2006, 03:06:28 PM »

I agree with that; I found a list of the Top 100 songs from each year since, like, 1960 or something.  If I can find it, I will post it, but the results are shocking.

The number one song of 1969, the year when hippies and psychedelia were supposed to have been king, was, believe it or not, Sugar Sugar.

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2006, 03:49:14 PM »

Quote from: 218

The number one song of 1969, the year when hippies and psychedelia were supposed to have been king, was, believe it or not, Sugar Sugar.

Veronica and Beatty were HOT. Have they nade an Arrchies movie yet?
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »

Quote from: 218

At least to those drug taking hippies credit they managed to drag their arses off the mattress on the floor and get down to the shops in sufficent numbers to make The Beatles and Led Zepplin the biggest selling albums of the year(here in the UK at least).
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2006, 06:16:46 PM »

Veronica and Beatty were HOT. Have they nade an Arrchies movie yet?

Actually there was a live action movie made in 1990 for TV called "Return to Riverdale" which centered on the lives of the Archie comic characters for their class reunion. It wasn't very good, though.

Haha, I'm such a geek. I know everything about Archie Comics.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Mendips

• Getting Better
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:46 AM »

My kids 14 and 11 LOVE the Beatles, my niece is 19 and she LOVES them also.
My daughter tells me kids at junior high wear Beatles tees.
John: You're just a lonely old man from Liverpool.
Grandfather: But I'm clean!
John: Are ya?

beatleslover2

• A Beginning
  • The beatles forever, and ever.
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 03:44:47 AM »

im the class freak too,
everyone thinks im annoying and stupid because i love the beatles,
and they cannot accept the fact that i belive the beatles are the best band in all of music history.
<br /><br /><br />Ill be your Lovely Rita<br />peace &amp;&amp; lovee

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 05:29:33 AM »

One of the most disturbing things I've ever seen re this subject, was on the British TV talent show 'The X Factor' (our version of 'American Idol' for any US readers). In the early knockout stages, all the wannabe singers were given Beatles songs to rehearse then sing, and none of them had heard of any of them. One of the singers then complained that The Beatles song she was given to sing was far too obscure. Even questioning whether it really was a Beatles song? At home, as a Beatles fan, I'm starting to think "they've not given her Wild Honey Pie or The Inner Light to sing have they? Not The X Factor?" So anyway, the interviewer asks her to sing the first line of this "obscure" Beatles song to see whether she had a point. The girl agrees and starts singing "Yesterday, All my troubles seemed so far away!!" Unbelievable!

I've never been that keen on Sharon Osbourne, but I'll say this for her, she did tell the contestants that their musical ignorance was a disgrace, and "stop listening to that Britney crap and start listening to proper music".

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »

Quote from: 1313
The girl agrees and starts singing "Yesterday, All my troubles seemed so far away!!" Unbelievable!

and that's obscure?? ::)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2008, 02:51:35 AM »

Quote from: 1313
The girl agrees and starts singing "Yesterday, All my troubles seemed so far away!!"
I'm floored. Wow.

Good on Sharon Osbourne. These kids need a lecture!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2008, 03:52:01 AM »

Quote from: 614

and that's obscure?? ::)

Actually, it probably is for her. Say she's 18, how often do you think it's been played on the radio since 1990? Very little, would be my guess. There's no obvious reason for her to know any Beatles songs. Remember, it is 43 years old. It was probably released before her parents were even born.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2008, 04:24:50 AM »

I need Douglasslee to give me another "inner youth" lecture....

Wow. Thanks for the perspective.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 82 queries.