Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Young people of today don't care about the Beatles  (Read 13865 times)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Young people of today don't care about the Beatles
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2008, 12:22:33 AM »

^^^^^^I couldn't read the book either in high school.  The teacher was so mad at me, and I defended myself as saying, "He killed my favorite Beatle, my ICON".  There was no way I was going to read something that lead a person to be the devil himself and kill my beloved John.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2008, 12:49:35 AM »

Quote from: 1393
Mr. Mustard, what is the link between The Catcher in the Rye and John Lennon, please?

The Catcher in the Rye was the favorite book of Mark Chapman, who shot John.  But being the obsessive freak that Chapman was, he couldn't just enjoy the book -- he in some way identified so strongly with the protagonist Holden Caulfield that he in some way thought he was Holden.  Just like he also thought he was John Lennon and he had to kill the 'evil' Lennon.... or whatever was going on in that psycho's head.

After he shot John, the cops apprehended him -- he was on the sidewalk in front of the Dakota, quietly reading Catcher in the Rye.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »

And after posting my previous post, I now notice that the question was already answered.  My bad!

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2008, 01:00:46 AM »

And the teacher was "overwhelmed" that I had the "balls" to stand up in class and say that.  So she picked another book out for me to read, and I can't remember the title....the little "anarchist" I was back then.............

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »

Thank you all for the explanation!!! :) I didn`t know that! i liked the book so much, i also read it at school. A terrible link, the book is doomed.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »

Catcher in the Rye is still a great book -- I don't think that one deranged person's take on it should blackball it from your reading lists.  The book itself didn't really influence Chapman's actions.  If I were to find out that Chapman's favorite food was pizza, I wouldn't stop eating pizza.

The Charles Manson clan claimed that the Beatles were telling them to commit their crimes through hidden messages on the White Album.  I still listen to the White Album, though.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »

^So true, Mr. Mustard.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2008, 11:21:43 PM »

Quote from: 1333
Catcher in the Rye is still a great book -- I don't think that one deranged person's take on it should blacklist it from your reading lists.  The book itself didn't really influence Chapman's actions.  If I were to find out that Chapman's favorite food was pizza, I wouldn't stop eating pizza.

The Charles Manson clan claimed that the Beatles were telling them to commit their crimes through hidden messages on the White Album.  I still listen to the White Album, though.
^^^^^^^^Yep, you got a point there, Mr. Mustard.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »

Mr.Mustard, You are right! The book is very good. Wasn`t this fact mentioned in the film Conspiracy Theory with Mel Gibson starring? He had piles of this book in his room.

Revolver42

• Getting Better
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

I'm 28-  does that count as young?  I have been a huge Beatles fan since my pre-teens.
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »

I'm young and love the Beatles, but kids don't see me as a freak...teachers think its cool, and some of my friends are into them too. And ever since Across the universe movie there have been some kids who know more songs, which is fun. Sure I got teased once, but it was by the biggest school douche. Now nobody cares.

A lot of young people aren't into the Beatles, and even though I think they should be, whatever they're missing out on GREAT stuff!!  :)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »

I was teased all the time for liking the Beatles. I was known as that Beatles kid but I remember once in 8th grade we had to do a worksheet on the boys and everybody wanted me to be their partner. I also remember one of my friends telling me a couple of years ago that the Beach Boys had a bigger impact on music and I just laughed. When ATU everybody was like Paul! Did you see ATU? Send me the Beatle songs!

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2008, 12:34:31 AM »

i used to write "The Beatles" with a heart around it on like, everything, especialy on my school worksheets, but then i stopped, cause everybody probably thought that i was a freak. but that didnt stop me from expressing in other ways! in the margines of the journals we had in LA class, i wrote all the words to Help! and Penny Lane. (wow. apparently i was REALLY bored that day)

but now more to the point. the sad thing is, im sure more young people, even the kids at my school, like the Beatles than they let on, but they wont admit it, cause people who dont like them outnumber the ones that do. and we all want to be "popular" right? (GRRRR! i hate the "Populars" at my school!  >:()
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »

I understand you very well: young people usually want to be at the edge of fashion, and be the first to open to others new groups, styles. But these are teenages, as they grow they become more particular about their choice and choose something more worthy.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »

I'll be 17 tomorrow, and thank god I love the Beatles. I discovered them in 8th grade a little over two years ago. I only have one friend, other than everyone online, who is a major fan like me, and she's 20.

Nearly everyone else at school, even my friends, tease me about it. They say stuff like "What the heck is wrong with you?" and draw mustaches and stuff on my notebook that had pictures of the Fabs on it. My one friend hates them just to make me mad, and she has never heard of the names John Lennon and George Harrison. She only knows Ringo's name because it's a funny name and Paul's because she said he's so famous. I remember in ninth grade we took a test and one of the questions was to name and describe the Beatles. One person wrote that their names were John, Paul, Ringo, and Jeff. Someone else said John, Paul, Ringo, and Terry! Where'd that come from? Poor George. They also didn't know the last names even. Some boy, who is younger than me, said to me at lunch one day "They should all die. And the ones who are already dead should come back to life and die again!" I was soooooo friggin mad inside it was unbelievable! I wanted to punch his lights out. Haha. Who cares what other people think, the Fabs are the greatest ever. Screw everyone who doesn't think so.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »

once i asked my friend to name all the Beatles and she said, "theres John, and Paul, and Lennon, and thats all i can think of." i just stared at her, and eventually told her that John and Lennon were the same guy, and she started laughing.
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

Quote from: 793
I'll be 17 tomorrow, and thank god I love the Beatles.

well, congratulations!  ;) have a FAB birthday!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

The_Beatles_90

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2008, 10:14:17 PM »

I think there is truth in that. But from time to time, people grow up and might think differently and more mature, and they might get the meaning and essence of music.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »

As far as the Catcher in the Rye, it did have , I don't really want to say "reasons" but something in that book aided in his decision to kill John Lennon.  I know it wasn't the only reason and he was a little crazy, but there are always things that make people more crazy. And who is to say if he never read that book if John would still be alive or not.  And I probably sound crazy right now with all this nonsense talk, I don't know if I can make sense out of it. I understand what you mean Mr.Mustard, just because he was holding the book doesn't make it the primative reason why he killed John. My older sister had to read the book 2 years ago and I couldn't read it knowing that was the book he was carrying, and I'm not sure why.

Now, back on topic.

I would say that my friends are ok with me liking The Beatles even if they aren't thier cup of tea. I did have times where people make fun of it, but I never really cared. I know that I'll always love The Beatles, so a few comments never bugged me. As far as this generation not caring about The Beatles, it is really their lost, I think that they don't realize what the beatles did, how inavative they were, that is what they really are missing.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2008, 11:53:48 PM »

Well...........I'll tell you this much...........I'm 43 years old and have LOVED the Beatles since the early/mid 1970's.  I was around 10 when I discovered them.  And I'm so overwhelmed and soooooo pleased to see all the young, and I mean old enough to be my children, on this board and being such big Beatles' fans!!!!  Congrats to all you "young-uns" out there.  Just this little fact proves to me there is "hope" for our youth today.  All you kids......YOU ROCK!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 86 queries.