Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1966-1967 transition  (Read 5783 times)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
1966-1967 transition
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:04:52 PM »

When was the transition between '66 and '67?  For example, John went from long hair, sideburns and sunglasses to rounded spectacles shorter hair and a moustache. When did this transition for all of them occur? Are there any available photos? Thanks!

raxo

• Sun King
Re: 1966-1967 transition
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:26:45 PM »

It all happened when they stopped touring ... by auto-umn 1966 they all were doing things on their own ...
Read here: http://wingspan.ru/bookseng/diary/m10_1966.html  (I've copied some exceprts here for you)

John starred in How I Won The War film  (partyalley filmed in Spain)
You can read reply 11 here:
http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-songs/m-1140471316/

"September 5, 1966
John flew to Hanover, Germany, to begin filming his part in How I Won The War with director Richard Lester on a NATO tank range in Celle, outside Hanover. John: "There were many reasons for doing it: a) it was Dick Lester and he asked me; b) it was anti-war; and c) I didn't know what to do because The Beatles had stopped touring and I thought if I stopped and thought about it I was going to have a big bum trip for nine months so I tried to avoid the depression of the change of life by leaping into the movie. The thing I remember is that Dick Lester had more fun than I did."
September 6, 1966
John had his hair cut short for his role as Private Gripweed. The momentous event occurred in the breakfast room of the bar The Inn On The Heath in Celle. In addition to an army haircut, he wore small round "granny" glasses, which his use made fashionable.

... and he met Yoko Ono:

"November 9, 1966
John met Yoko Ono at the Indica Gallery, Mason's Yard, London."

John taking a rest (Almeria, Spain) ...

George went to India to learn sitar with Ravi Shankar

"September 14, 1966
George and Patti flew to Bombay, India, for George to take sitar lessons with Ravi Shankar and study yoga. They checked into the Taj Mahal, Bombay, under the names Mr and Mrs Sam Wells."

George Harrison's sitar-lesson with Ravi Shankar cLIP
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLZ-zW9Ti4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLZ-zW9Ti4</a>

George playing the sitar:

Paul composed the soundtrack to The Family Way film ...

"December 18, 1966
Paul and Jane attended the premiere of the film The Family Way at the Warner Theatre which had an incidental soundtrack written by Paul and arranged by George Martin."

... and visited art galleries in London  8)

"October, 1966
Paul's friend, art dealer Robert Eraser, staged an exhibition by painter Richard Hamilton at his London gallery. Paul helped to hang some of the work, bought a piece at the opening, and also encouraged John to see the exhibition when he returned from Spain."

Ringo ... well, Ringo visited John in Spain and partied a bit!  :D

"October 4, 1966
Ringo and Maureen flew to Almeria to spend a few days visiting John on the film set of How I Won The War."

I know that there are some pics somewhere of Ringo in Almeria with John  :B ...

They were growing-up ... their mouse-touches too!!! ;D

Oh, welcome to the forums, dcowboys107 ... hope you'll enjoy them! :)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:36:24 PM »

Yea, since they were no longer with Brian, they all went in different ways. Sad but inevitable. You can hear the transition in their songs and voices as well. I mean take, Yesterday and Long and Winding Road or This Boy and The Ballad of John and Yoko or even Come Together. It's amazing how they all changed. And I'm going off topic slightly :B. (I was talking about how they changed, just now at breakfast with my sister)

Yea, welcome to the forums dcowboys107, enjoy them! :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:45:57 PM »

WELCOME DCOWBOYS!! :) Enjoy the forums!

I read somewhere that Paul started to grow a moustache first in 66
then the rest of them followed the trend.. i dunno..
They certaintly got very hairy as time went on! ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »

Quote from: 614
WELCOME DCOWBOYS!! :) Enjoy the forums!

I read somewhere that Paul started to grow a moustache first in 66
then the rest of them followed the trend.. i dunno..
They certaintly got very hairy as time went on! ;D

That's why Paul started to grow his but George claimed that he started to grow it before he went to India ...

from their Anthology Book:

"RINGO: THESE LITTLE SLUGS WERE GONNA TURN INTO BUTTERFLIES.

PAUL: I had an accident when I came off a moped in Wirral, near Liverpool. I had a very good friend who lived in London called Tara Browne, a Guinness heir - a nice Irish guy, very sensitive bloke. I'd see him from time to time, and enjoyed being around him. He came up to visit me in Liverpool once when I was there seeing my dad and brother. I had a couple of mopeds on hire, so we hit upon the bright idea of going to my cousin Bett's house.

We were riding along on the mopeds. I was showing Tara the scenery. He was behind me, and it was an incredible full moon; it really was huge. I said something about the moon and he said 'yeah', and I suddenly had a freeze-frame image of myself at that angle to the ground when it's too late to pull back up again: I was still looking at the moon and then I looked at the ground, and it seemed to take a few minutes to think, 'Ah, too bad - I'm going to smack that pavement with my face!' Bang!

There I was, chipped tooth and all. it came through my lip and split it. But I got up and we went along to my cousin's house. When I said, 'Don't worry, Bett, but I've had a bit of an accident,' she thought I was joking. She creased up laughing at first, but then she went 'Holy...!' I'd really given my face a good old smack; it looked like I'd been in the ring with Tyson for a few rounds. So she rang a friend of hers who was a doctor.

He came round on the spot, took a needle out and, after great difficulty threading it, put it in the first half of the wound. He was shaking a bit, but got it all the way through, and then he said, ''h, the thread's just come out - I'll have to do it again!' No anaesthetic. I was standing there while he rethreaded it and pulled it through again.

In fact that was why I started to grow a moustache. It was pretty embarrassing, because around that time you knew your pictures would get winged off to teeny-boppery magazines like 16, and it was pretty difficult to have a new picture taken with a big fat lip. So I started to grow a moustache - a sort of Sancho Panza - mainly to cover where my lip had been sewn.

It caught on with the guys in the group: if one of us did something like growing his hair long and we liked the idea, we'd all tend to do it. And then it became seen as a kind of revolutionary idea, that young men of our age definitely ought to grow a moustache! And it all fell in with the Sgt Pepper thing, because he had a droopy moustache.

I was originally trying to grow a long Chinese one, but it was very difficult. You have to do a lot of work waxing it, and it takes about sixty years - I never did get one of them.

John had a moustache cup. It had a little hole underneath the lip so you could drink tea from it without getting your moustache in it --rather fetching!

RINGO: Growing moustaches was just part of being a hippy: you grow your hair, you grow a moustache, and in my case you grow a beard. That was the Sixties coming to the fore.

I always hated shaving anyway, but the moustache was not special for me. The moustache was growing and the beard was growing - hair was growing. It was just part of the set. We were gradually turning into Sgt Peppers. It was as if we were going through a metamorphosis.

NEIL ASPINALL: Their appearance was still changing - moustaches and so on - but it was nobody's decision. It was just everybody influencing everybody else. Somebody would come in with something new and the others would go 'That's nice. Where did you get that?' It was like that.

Occasionally Paul used to disguise himself when we were on the road. He and I would go out into the audience, up the stairs and into the gallery or the circle with all the fans, watching the other acts that were on the show. Paul would have his hair back and a moustache, glasses, and an overcoat on, and nobody would expect him to be there so nobody took any notice.

When he was in the Wirral, Paul had a moped accident and he grew a moustache to hide his split lip and, because he had a moustache, the next thing everybody's got one. That's how it happened for me, anyway. That's my story. I had a moustache, too.

GEORGE: Moustaches were part of the synchronicity and the collective consciousness. What happened to me was that Ravi Shankar wrote to me before I went out to Bombay, and in the letter said, 'Try to disguise yourself - couldn't you grow a moustache?' I thought, 'OK, I'll grow a moustache. Not that it's going to disguise me, but I've never had a moustache before, so I'll grow it.'

If you see the photographs of the Sgt Pepper sessions, we've all got funny things happening and hair breaking out on the face. And then everybody had a moustache; I think even Engelbert Humperdinck got one.

NEIL ASPINALL: The band at this time started to appeal to a more turned-on audience, because they themselves were turned on. Brain loved it all. He had great faith in The Beatles and what they were doing, and loved them as a band, as musicians and as artists. Brian was a fan.

They influenced people right from the very early days, when everybody suddenly seemed to have collarless jackets and Cuban-heeled boots and Beatle haircuts. That influence always seemed to be there.

JOHN: That bit about 'we changed everybody's hairstyles' - something influenced us, whatever was in the air. Pinpointing who did what first doesn't work. We were part of whatever the Sixties was. It was happening itself. We were the ones chosen to represent what was going on 'on the street'. It could have been somebody else but it wasn't: it was us and the Stones and people like that."

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »

Quote from: 297
[...]
September 6, 1966
John had his hair cut short for his role as Private Gripweed. The momentous event occurred in the breakfast room of the bar The Inn On The Heath in Celle. In addition to an army haircut, he wore small round "granny" glasses, which his use made fashionable.

[...]

Could be that day?

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:32:09 PM »

Well the 40th anniversary of 1967 has wound down and I think it would be neat to visit the 1967-1968 transition.  Especially with Lennon who seems to have changed the most in his look and beliefs (ie. the long hair parted in the middle and odd wardrobe).  Any think you'd like to contribute to this post regarding any of the Beatles through this transition would be appreciated and interesting!

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:45:56 PM »

I have a question:I know that during early 68 they were at India and all of them were writing like crazy, thats why they released a double album, Paul and John had enough for an Album each, but for all the greatness Sgt. Pepper has, it only has 13 unlike the 14 they usually had.
My question is, why didn't they do that in late 66? I Mean, I know that they were writing, but they really had A LOT of time to write more songs, I think.
Every year before 66 they were expected to write about 32 songs, and after that they were also writing enough songs for two albums a year, why didnt they write any more songs during that period?

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:40:08 AM »

I think in 1966 they were all preparing for another film such as Help! to act in.  But according to some source they could not find a script they all liked so Revolver was released as well as "Paperback Writer"/"Rain".  From reading the history they seemed to have booked a lot of concert appereances especially overseas so I think they were far too busy to make two albums. Just my take on the circumstances of that year. . .

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 09:00:08 AM »

Quote from: 937
I have a question:I know that during early 68 they were at India and all of them were writing like crazy, thats why they released a double album, Paul and John had enough for an Album each, but for all the greatness Sgt. Pepper has, it only has 13 unlike the 14 they usually had.
My question is, why didn't they do that in late 66? I Mean, I know that they were writing, but they really had A LOT of time to write more songs, I think.
Every year before 66 they were expected to write about 32 songs, and after that they were also writing enough songs for two albums a year, why didnt they write any more songs during that period?

After Revolver, and the subsequent tour there was no need to panic write another album, as they'd decided to stop touring. They may well have had plans to have Pepper out earlier, but by that time they had more power over EMI. As it was, they were forced into putting SFF/Penny Lane as a single, therefore preventing it's inclusion on the album.

And it's not the number of songs on an album, it's the length of the album itself. Previously, Beatlemania era songs were mostly around two and a half minutes or less. So although Pepper only has 13 songs on it, it clocks in at a full 5 minutes longer than Please Please Me, which has 14.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »

Quote from: 483

After Revolver, and the subsequent tour there was no need to panic write another album, as they'd decided to stop touring. They may well have had plans to have Pepper out earlier, but by that time they had more power over EMI. As it was, they were forced into putting SFF/Penny Lane as a single, therefore preventing it's inclusion on the album.

And it's not the number of songs on an album, it's the length of the album itself. Previously, Beatlemania era songs were mostly around two and a half minutes or less. So although Pepper only has 13 songs on it, it clocks in at a full 5 minutes longer than Please Please Me, which has 14.

Exactly. And don't forget the fact that they were working as dogs at the studio. 'Please Please Me' was recorded in around 585 minutes, in no more than 4 studio sessions (and counting the ones they were working in the first 2 singles, 'Love Me Do' and the title track).
'Pepper' was recorded in 129 days, in a total of 700 hours. So, there you have a reason. The Beatles didn't release anything in late 1966 except for the 'A Collection of Beatles' Oldies' which was a good Christmas marketing strategy. (However, I can't still believe that only reached #7 in the charts!  :-/). They were late just for 3 months, when they released the glorious Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane on mid-february 1967.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 06:15:53 AM »

Quote from: 713
'A Collection of Beatles' Oldies' which was a good Christmas marketing strategy. (However, I can't still believe that only reached #7 in the charts!  :-/).

'Best Of's' weren't the mega sellers that they are these days. In fact I think it was quite uncommon at the time. And it is a bit of an odd collection.

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 02:02:47 AM »

Quote from: 483

I Completely see your point and you are right, but I still sort of dont understand it. I mean, im sure there was no hurry to write for the White Album(and after Sgt Pepper they had even bigger control) but they were in India supposed to be meditating and they couldn't keep themselves from writing songs.
They had roughly one year after Revolver to write more songs.
Now, I guess to expect 30 more songs is a lot to ask, but they had 13 along with "Only a Northern Song" and SFF and Penny Lane. that means that in one year each of them wrote about 7 songs while they usually write two times that.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 03:17:36 AM »

Well, I think they were dog tired. They had been going nonstop boom-boom-boom for 4 years, touring, writing, becoming superstars of a like never seen before, with all those social and emotional pressures, a complete roller-coaster of their lives. If they wanted to take a year off, they'd earned it.

But they truly did love what they did. They all fooled around after touring, India, Africa, films, what have you. Everyone but George was bored to tears. "Hey, let's write some songs!" "We always write songs." "Okay, let's write some songs really slow."

And so they did.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »

Anyone else ever notice in the movie 'Help' when the boys are in disguise,they actually all look like what they were about to look like a few years later(if you catch my drift!ha)
Ie: john with the long hair and long beard.....

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

Quote from: 937

but they were in India supposed to be meditating and they couldn't keep themselves from writing songs.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea of The Beatles going to India and being all holy. Deepak Chopra, one of the maharishi's spiritual chaps, says they were doing plenty of drugs, including LSD, while at the ashram. I'd be quite confident in saying celibacy wasn't that high on the list either, so the thought of them carrying on songwriting isn't so strange. And seeing that it was the first time in a while that they had spent so much time together it doesn't appear out of place.
Also, after Revolver no doubt none of them were too sure what to do next, so it's not suprising that their productivity took a tempory dive
don't follow leaders

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »

Anyone else ever notice in the movie 'Help' when the boys are in disguise,they actually all look like what they were about to look like a few years later(if you catch my drift!ha)
Ie: john with the long hair and long beard.....

Good Point! I just finished watching the movie for the first time last week and I couldn't stop myself from laughing our of amusement and astonisment at how similar they appeared to their future selves (especially John with the beard!! and Ringo!)  

For the "Paperback Writer/Rain" promo video what was the point of the one at Chiswick House?  I know the one of them in the studio was for the Ed Sullivan show but where did the outdoor one actually air?  

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »

Quote from: 662

Good Point! I just finished watching the movie for the first time last week and I couldn't stop myself from laughing our of amusement and astonisment at how similar they appeared to their future selves (especially John with the beard!! and Ringo!)  

For the "Paperback Writer/Rain" promo video what was the point of the one at Chiswick House?  I know the one of them in the studio was for the Ed Sullivan show but where did the outdoor one actually air?  

The promo for Rain was shown on BBC - Top Of The Pops (9 June). Btw, the promo for PW was not not made specifically for The Ed Sullivan show.

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 74 queries.