Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Joy Division  (Read 707 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Joy Division
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »

Anyone like Joy Division ? I watched the stunning bio picture " Control " about the group , it tells the storey of Ian Curtis , there young and immensely talented singer who hung himself in 1980 age 23 , just as the group were on the brink of stardom .
The film is the best film ive seen about music in a long time , and the performance of Sam Riley who plays  Ian Curtis is brilliant . It's filmed in Black and White by Dutch director Anton Corbijn who captures the rise and fall of this influential group who only recorded two albums " Unknown Pleasures " and " Closer " and a handful of singles , most notably " Love Will Tear Us Apart ".
The film promted me to get these two albums on CD and i hav'nt stoped playing them since , i had  " Closer " on record but had'nt heard  " Unknown Pleasures " before , both albums are the work of a genius ?
They remind me of Bowie's   " Low " and  " Heroes " but are bleaker , lyrically they also remind me of Lennon Curtis had the ability to look inside his soul like John ?  " Uknown Pleasures " and  " The Plastic Ono Band album " could be the work of the same man ?
This film is well worth seeing .It's a haunting film about a deeply troubled young man , who turned his back on fame ,  family and friends .

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Joy Division
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:11:34 AM »

I bought Unkown Pleasures when it came out but I was unimpressed. (I was at the height of my Beatlemania phase). Love Will Tear Us Apart is a true classic.
don't follow leaders

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Joy Division
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:35:46 PM »

I had not heard  " Unknown Pleasures " Kevin until last week and ive fallen in love with it's bleak bueaty , i can't get enough of " She's Lost Control " that whip lash sound is brilliant .
Have you heard the new remasterd version of the album Kevin ? i can't believe it was recorded in 1979 it just sounds so now , what was i doing in 79 to miss it , i remember i was getting p*ssed and chasing girls  ;D oh to be eighteen again  :D

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 36 queries.