Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Electric Arguments (New Fireman Album)  (Read 18832 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Electric Arguments (New Fireman Album)
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2008, 08:28:41 PM »

Think i will be saving my pennies Geoff , that seems a lot of money for a tin box with a bit of plastic and paper in it (wink1)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »

Just been on Paul's myspace site , this striking portrait of Paul caught my eye .
This would have made an excellent album cover for Electric Arguments ?

Paul McCartney at the firestation photographed by Steve Gullick 2008

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2008, 03:23:50 AM »

^ Nice shot.  :)

There's a minor controversy about plagiarism involving "Light From The Lighthouse." I thought of the Stones' Exile On Main Street when I first heard it, but that probably only proves a common ancestry. Anyway, "Let Your Light Shine On Me" is in the public domain.

Paul McCartney denies stealing Blind Willie Johnson song
December 8 / NME

Paul McCartney's band The Fireman have denied accusations that they copied a song by bluesman Blind Willie Johnson without crediting it.

Reports at the weekend claimed that McCartney and collaborator Youth had taken elements of Johnson's 'Let Your Light Shine On Me' and used it on their new song 'Light From Your Lighthouse', despite McCartney acknowledging the older song had "inspired" his in the album's sleevenotes of recent album 'Electric Arguments'.

However, speaking to NME.COM, the duo explained they have done nothing wrong, because Johnson's song is based on a traditional composition and so there was no copyright breach.

"It's true that The Fireman used the Blind Willie Johnson track as inspiration for our own song," they said. "His is a traditional song and this is not the first time an artist has made their own version using such a traditional song."

BlueMeanie

« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2008, 07:44:37 AM »

Quote from: 1161

Maybe; they are issuing an extra disc with the deluxe version. Eighty dollars, though.

http://www.thefiremanmusic.com/purchase/

My god, for 79.99 you even get temporary artwork!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »

It's not easy painting a masterpiece like the orginal cover (rolling3)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »

For eighty dollars, you ought to get a different cover (would have thought the one they ended up using was the temporary artwork).   ;D

I'll bet the extra mixes turn up in another format as well if there's sufficient demand for the album. Paul's never been averse to issuing multiple versions of his stuff.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »

Electric Arguments drops out of the Billboard 100 chart after 1 week .
It's also fallen from # 1 to # 9 on the indie chart , on the UK indie chart it's fallen from #3 to 15 .
Think the release of the album on the run up to Xmas was a mistake ?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2008, 02:13:16 AM »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I think poor Paul is getting a little desperate to have the Fireman's true identity be recognized.  Well, in light of EA's struggling chart positions, I can't say I blame him.

I just say this because I stopped by his website and was greeted by a glaring red homepage that is practically screaming that Paul McCartney is the Fireman.  Okay, Paul love, we know!  http://www.paulmccartney.com/

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2008, 02:27:11 AM »

^ I've been to the site too, and I know what you mean, Penny Lane

I listened to the tracks today (took me time, eh? (roll) ) , well I can't say that I agree with these reviews:

Clash (UK)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

BlueMeanie

« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2008, 02:30:10 AM »

Following a tip by Aspie over in Random Thoughts, here's another promo interview for Electric Arguments, this one with ABC news. The I-was-into-Stockhausen/experimental-music-first bit comes up about three minutes in, prompted by the reporter.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6461066

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »

I just bought it a couple days ago (couldnt wait for my wife to get it for me), but i've only listened to it twice. From those couple of listens I can only say,,,,,ehhh!

I'm definately going to have to reserve my opinion until I get some more listens in.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #152 on: December 19, 2008, 01:23:15 AM »

Ok, i've gotten enough listens in to give my opinion of the album. It sucks. I cant see where all the acclaim for this album is coming from. The whole thing is repetitive and monotonous. The songs all sound the same and go nowhere. Seriously, I could have bought a cd with Gregorian monks chanting and gotten the same listening experience. 'Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight' is easily the best song on the album and its only ok. 'Universal Here, Everlasting Now' would take a close second as its barely decent enough to listen to. Whats the deal with 'Dont Stop Running'? Do we really need the 2 or 3 minutes of silence? That would have been semi-cute in the mid 60's, today,,,,its down right retarded. They should have dropped the price of the cd a dollar just for that. Last but not least, the low, raspy voice that accompanies 2 to 3 of the songs on the cd is unbearable. Its almost embarrassing. I feel like i'm watching an episode of the Sopranos when I hear it.

I cant recommend this cd to anybody. I've actually deterred people from buying it. It'll be placed on the shelf right between 'McCartney 2' and 'Pipes Of Peace'. A big waste of money in my opinion.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #153 on: December 19, 2008, 01:43:19 AM »

I don't like the album, but I wouldn't stop others from getting it, I don't think that's the right thing to do!

Because I don't like it doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't?

Let people make up their own minds!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #154 on: December 19, 2008, 05:17:35 AM »

Quote from: 1580
Let people make up their own minds!

No. I knew that the two people that were going to buy it, wouldnt like it. I told them not to buy it before they took a listen to mine. If they like it for some god forbidden reason, then they can go buy it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #155 on: December 19, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »

Quote from: 373
Ok, i've gotten enough listens in to give my opinion of the album. It sucks. I cant see where all the acclaim for this album is coming from. The whole thing is repetitive and monotonous. The songs all sound the same and go nowhere. Seriously, I could have bought a cd with Gregorian monks chanting and gotten the same listening experience. 'Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight' is easily the best song on the album and its only ok. 'Universal Here, Everlasting Now' would take a close second as its barely decent enough to listen to. Whats the deal with 'Dont Stop Running'? Do we really need the 2 or 3 minutes of silence? That would have been semi-cute in the mid 60's, today,,,,its down right retarded. They should have dropped the price of the cd a dollar just for that. Last but not least, the low, raspy voice that accompanies 2 to 3 of the songs on the cd is unbearable. Its almost embarrassing. I feel like i'm watching an episode of the Sopranos when I hear it.

oh dear.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #156 on: December 19, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »

Quote from: 614

oh dear.

Please open my ears. Why do you like this album and what makes it so special? I'm open to ideas. Maybe i'm missing something here.

After the slight Christmas push, I really cant see anybody ever bringing this album up again. It will truly be forgotten in the land of mediocre obscurity.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »

^  I have no idea how to explain why I like "EA."  When I first listened to it, I expected to hate it because it was supposed to be "different" from what McCartney normally does--but to my surprise, I wound up loving it instead.  It's just the sound of it that I like, the mood and the melodies, and I like that it's not a straightforward pop album.  It's like a cool painting that you can hear instead of see.  It's not for everyone (my hubby does not like it either) but calling it mediocre is too harsh, IMO.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2008, 10:25:56 AM »

Quote from: 373

I cant recommend this cd to anybody. I've actually deterred people from buying it. It'll be placed on the shelf right between 'McCartney 2' and 'Pipes Of Peace'. A big waste of money in my opinion.

I see you don't rate Electric Arguments Todd , i on the other hand think it's one of the best ever solo Beatles albums .
I love every song on this album , i like the flow of the songs and  Youth's  production .
At least six of the songs i think are amongest Paul's best ?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »

Quote from: 1620
It's just the sound of it that I like, the mood and the melodies, and I like that it's not a straightforward pop album.  It's like a cool painting that you can hear instead of see.

Good analogy. It's all about texture and feel using a quite wide variety of musical styles, and the way one song plays off another to create mood and context. I can understand why straight rock or pop fans don't like it, but I often enjoy this sort of post modernist riffing on traditional styles.  :)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 81 queries.