Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles Mixes. A question.  (Read 1356 times)

The Beatles Mixes. A question.
« on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:02 PM »

Hi everyone. Im new here. Ive got a question to ask. Why on Lady Madonna, Paperback Writer and Rain is the stereo separtation so wide? The entire drum kit and guitars far left, bass far right and vocals centre. Ive listened to it on an ipod and it sounds so strange! Not uniform at all. Just want to understand why.

Thanks

Bobber

Re: The Beatles Mixes. A question.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:21:57 PM »

It was the early days of stereo, or at least the use of it. I guess they didn't know how to take full profit of it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »

^ Do you think Brian over on Al's forum would know?

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »

Possibly. He's there every now and then.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »

Quote from: 63
It was the early days of stereo, or at least the use of it. I guess they didn't know how to take full profit of it.

True enough, though I've always thought the stereo Paperback Writer was particularly bad.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »

i know it does sometimes sound weird,but i absolutely love listening to just one speaker on some of the beatle tracks.lots of stuff on sgt.pepper and rubber soul are like that.lady madonna is a good one.also run for your life on rubber soul.man,i spent hours as a youngster listening to the beatles on one speaker.what a fantastic musical education that band have given me.the harmonies on nowhere man.the bass guitar on good morning,good morning.the drum track on the word.absolutely inspirational.all recorded in dodgy stereo.wouldn't have it any other way!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 12:54:54 AM »

I love that true stereo separation too. "Strawberry Fields Forever" is another good example: you can hear the amazing drums on the left channel.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 05:02:24 AM »

I've never minded the funky stereo mixes, as a matter of fact, I often have wished they were even more unconventional than they were ... I would LOVE to hear the voices spread out more, instead of all three out of one speaker like they were in the early days. It's always so hard for me to pick George out of the mix!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »

Quote from: 568
I've never minded the funky stereo mixes, as a matter of fact, I often have wished they were even more unconventional than they were ... I would LOVE to hear the voices spread out more, instead of all three out of one speaker like they were in the early days. It's always so hard for me to pick George out of the mix!

The problem is that during the 4-track days sometimes all the vocals had to be recorded in one track, so they could not be separated in the mix.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 55 queries.