Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Quincy Jones said the Beatles were the worst musicians  (Read 7289 times)

Bulldog

• A Beginning
Re: Quincy Jones said the Beatles were the worst musicians
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »

Ringo in tears? Mind you Ringo does sometimes get emotional in interviews.

Not sure how The Beatles could be so popular if they were such poor musicians. They were constantly playing live from the 1950's to 1966 & constantly in the studio during virtually all of the 1960's.

Ringo's drumming, Paul's bass playing & George branching out to the sitar have all been praised.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »

Sentimental Journey is a great 1st album by Ringo.  IMHO, it's better than McCartney and All Things Must Pass.

John said he was embarrassed by it.  What a shame!  He didn't appreciate Ringo.  Well, I can't imagine anyone who thinks of himself as a genius could.

But what do I know?  Maybe I'm just a music simpleton.  I mean I can't get into classical music or jazz so I guess I'm one of the primitives of the world.  Maybe I should try to find an aborigine tribe I could join (if they'll have me, that is.)
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 06:14:19 PM »

Wasn't the 'McCartney' album recorded in a couple of days. With Paul playing all the instruments? It shows.

A lot different to 'The Beatles' Paul who used to take so much time with his songs. Agree with John when he said he thought 'McCartney' was 'rubbish'.

Paul found a bit of consistency in 1973 with 'Band on the Run', which John praised. 'Live and Let Die' also had polished production and suited the film.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »

It was only on Hal Blaine’s death I heard he actually did some drum overdubs on Band on the Run. He didn’t remember which songs though.

I've never heard this.  Interesting.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »

Sentimental Journey is a great 1st album by Ringo.  IMHO, it's better than McCartney and All Things Must Pass.

Better than 'All Things Must Pass'?  I've never heard anybody say that before and cant understand your opinion.   

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »

tkitna:

Better than 'All Things Must Pass'?  I've never heard anybody say that before and can't understand your opinion.

Sorry about that.  i got carried away and I tend to say crazy things when I'm in one of my crazy moods.  I really like Paul's and George's 1st albums, too.  I just talk crazy (lots of times).

I really just like the big band approach on Ringo's album.  Lots of the drumming is really good on Sentimental Journey.  I think Ringo was kind of humble having drummers who were better than he was play on his record.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »

The bottom line is that if you see a post by Loco Mo (me), don't take it too seriously.  I guess I'm like my dad who no one ever should ever have taken seriously but always did.  My dad lived in an alcohol-infused world and his view of the real world reflected the hazy lenses through which he viewed it.  I mean look:  I wrote a post one night calling Yoko the Greatest.  Don't even take me with a grain of salt.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 09:55:50 PM »

^

All your posts are good, Loco.   icon_good

Carry on.
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 12:01:53 AM »

<< I read (of course, I can't remember the specific book) that during the Abbey Road sessions Paul would go back and overdub Ringo's drumming with his own on most of the songs. I recall reading that his wife said Ringo would often come home in tears.>>

I have to correct myself: It was during the White Album sessions that this allegedly happened. And yeah, I can believe Ringo being in tears; I get stressed just reading about the tension of the White Album sessions. I can't recall whether Geoff Emerick quit during or right after them, but they sound nightmarish.

I'll have to go back in and read the Quincy Jones interview that kicked this thread off.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 11:51:26 PM »

Thank you, Hello!

All your posts are good, Loco

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »

I've never heard this.  Interesting.

I’ve tried to find more detail but nothing so far.  It was just one of a list of Hal’s extensive work that was referred to in a podcast.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »

<< I read (of course, I can't remember the specific book) that during the Abbey Road sessions Paul would go back and overdub Ringo's drumming with his own on most of the songs. I recall reading that his wife said Ringo would often come home in tears.>>

I have to correct myself: It was during the White Album sessions that this allegedly happened. And yeah, I can believe Ringo being in tears; I get stressed just reading about the tension of the White Album sessions. I can't recall whether Geoff Emerick quit during or right after them, but they sound nightmarish.

Emerick quit during the sessions but I don't recall him mentioning Paul redoing Ringo's drums. I'll have a look in his book, but this looks like a myth to me.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »

I find the whole concept of overdubbing drums curious. Clearly it used to be done but I wonder how you could do it without it being obvious. Especially up to the late 60s when presumably the original drums weren’t  even on their own track. Since all drum tracks, and hence the instruments accompanying them, will have slight timing variations, I don’t see how you could overdub and keep in close enough time to not make it sound odd.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 05:16:07 AM »

Emerick quit during the sessions but I don't recall him mentioning Paul redoing Ringo's drums. I'll have a look in his book, but this looks like a myth to me.

I didn't read that in Emerick's book; it was a different book. I'm quite swamped with work right now but will try to track the passage, myth or not, this weekend.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

I didn't read that in Emerick's book; it was a different book. I'm quite swamped with work right now but will try to track the passage, myth or not, this weekend.

I checked several of my books but can't find the passage. I definitely remember reading it, though, true or not. It must be in one of the earlier books I read that I didn't keep.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2019, 11:04:52 PM »

I find the whole concept of overdubbing drums curious. Clearly it used to be done but I wonder how you could do it without it being obvious. Especially up to the late 60s when presumably the original drums weren’t  even on their own track. Since all drum tracks, and hence the instruments accompanying them, will have slight timing variations, I don’t see how you could overdub and keep in close enough time to not make it sound odd.

I agree
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2019, 12:30:16 AM »

It's all a bit of a storm in a teacup really, isn't it?

Quincy's entitled to his opinion and presumably gave an honest answer to a straight question. Will anyone particularly pay attention? will he sway anyone's opinions of The Beatles by now? I somehow doubt it.

Didn't UK National Treasure Sir Cliff Richard say something very similar about them a few years ago? about them being woefully out of tune and rather grating on the ear when he first heard them? Of course they knocked him and his Shadows off their perch but I don't remember coming away with the impression that Cliff was being churlish. Rather an honest (subjective) opinion laced with much irony in a "shows just how wrong I was!" sort of way. I'd like to give Quincy the same benefit of the doubt but I admit I haven't read the complete article.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2019, 08:57:54 AM »

I admit I haven't read the complete article.

It's a bit of a "tell all" interview. But he avoids questions on Bill Cosby.

Apart from criticising the Beatles musicianship he also says the Irish are racist, Hendrix was scared to record with good musicians, the mafia killed Kennedy, the Catholic church is corrrupt and Trump is a *********ing idiot.

It's certainly worth reading.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2019, 09:35:16 AM »

It's all a bit of a storm in a teacup really, isn't it?

Quincy's entitled to his opinion and presumably gave an honest answer to a straight question. Will anyone particularly pay attention? will he sway anyone's opinions of The Beatles by now? I somehow doubt it.

Didn't UK National Treasure Sir Cliff Richard say something very similar about them a few years ago? about them being woefully out of tune and rather grating on the ear when he first heard them? Of course they knocked him and his Shadows off their perch but I don't remember coming away with the impression that Cliff was being churlish. Rather an honest (subjective) opinion laced with much irony in a "shows just how wrong I was!" sort of way. I'd like to give Quincy the same benefit of the doubt but I admit I haven't read the complete article.

You’re right. It is a little annoying though that he’s supplied the internet “ the Beatles couldn’t play” trolls  with another easy talking point to derail conversations whenever the Beatles are brought up.

Apparently quite a lot of people thought the Beatles were out of tune when they first heard them. Testimony to the less common harmonies they used compared to most pop artists of the day.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »

It is a little annoying though that he’s supplied the internet “ the Beatles couldn’t play” trolls  with another easy talking point to derail conversations whenever the Beatles are brought up.

I think Quincy is criticising the fact that they're not musical virtuosi. He doesn't seem to understand that you don't need to be a great musician to write, record and perform brilliant songs. He's in awe of jazz musicians who quite often never create an original tune but just play around with the same old standards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.809 seconds with 77 queries.