Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Quincy Jones said the Beatles were the worst musicians  (Read 7290 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Quincy Jones said the Beatles were the worst musicians
« on: April 25, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »

He thought Ringo and Paul were terrible.  In the article, he didn't talk about John or George directly.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/feb/07/quincy-jones-the-beatles-were-the-worst-musicians-in-the-world

If Quincy was right about Ringo, then maybe they really didn't need to fire Pete.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Quincy Jones said the Beatles were the worst musicians
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 11:50:32 PM »

"They were the worst musicians in the world.  They were no-playing motherf***ers.  Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard."

"And Ringo?  Don’t even talk about it."

Dx:  Early Senile Dementia
I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 01:56:59 AM »

more or less an ignorant point of view from an unhappy old man who probably would defend his buddy MJ if he were still alive in the recent news and allegations
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:22:03 AM by blmeanie »

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:50:25 AM »

That didn't sound "enjoyably unguarded". It sounded rude. I can't even give him credit for his assessment of Trump and you know how I feel about him!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 03:25:27 AM »

And he claims that Michael Jackson stole Donna Summer's State of Independence...

https://youtu.be/cPlNrP9B2Zs

...when he wrote Billie Jean...

https://youtu.be/Zi_XLOBDo_Y

"I hate to get into this publicly, but Michael stole a lot of stuff. He stole a lot of songs.  The notes don’t lie, man. He was as Machiavellian as they come."

Not a bit like Cagney, Mr. Jones!

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 03:43:04 AM »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 05:15:50 AM »

He thought Ringo and Paul were terrible.  In the article, he didn't talk about John or George directly.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/feb/07/quincy-jones-the-beatles-were-the-worst-musicians-in-the-world

If Quincy was right about Ringo, then maybe they really didn't need to fire Pete.

He’s not right about Ringo.  Ringo has enough kudos from musicians that one jaundiced view doesn’t mean anything.  And by lumping in Paul shows how silly his view is. Paul’s musicianship is beyond question.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »

Yeah remember reading this last year    It’s to annoying when people that haven’t been relevant for years - if at all lol - deliberately talk trash to get attention    Actually it’s pathetic   Get lost queency!!!

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 12:30:24 AM »

People who knock the Beatles are stupid.  They're not worth listening to on any subject.  I think some of them think this makes them superior to the Beatles.  It's like if I insult someone, that means I'm better than they are.  At least, that's what they want you to think.

So, what you should say to them is:  "Wow, you're a genius.  Man, you're totally amazing.  You cut down the Beatles - man, you're awesome!!  Now, because of you, I know the Beatles were nothing - but you - you just blow them away with how intelligent you are!  It doesn't matter that they're considered the most popular band in music history - you know better, don't you?"

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 12:38:59 AM »

I've had people cut me down for liking the Beatles.  I was ganged up on by some coworkers years ago.  They acted like I had the mentality of someone whose idea of sport was to see how much bubblegum he could chew before choking on it or like a stupid duck who couldn't learn how to swim.  But at the same time I thought of them as being so stupid they couldn't distinguish between the smell of a fart and the smell of a sweet perfume.  To this day, I wish I had a comeback for them but I was never good at being sarcastic.  I was always at a loss of words so I took everything in mute silence.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 12:45:23 AM »

I'm fine with people that never got the Beatles, that is on them.  Someone like Quincy Jones though, did he always feel this way or is it a moment in time?  Something set him off?  I have a friend at work that one time, long time ago, made fun of a McCartney solo cd in my car, he didn't know how deep my fandom went.  BTW -  he has a love of the 80's plus isn't afraid to let people know he enjoys listening to boy bands too...

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »

Heard a rumour that in the late 60's Paul wanted to do his own drumming on his own songs. Ringo was not amused.

Read that the Beatles were competent rather than virtuoso muscians. John, Paul & George could all play a variety of instruments.

I'm sure George could have played the 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps' solo himself. George said the other Beatles were not enthusiastic during the recording. So he asked Clapton along.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 07:38:14 PM »

Heard a rumour that in the late 60's Paul wanted to do his own drumming on his own songs. Ringo was not amused.

Just a rumor.

Read that the Beatles were competent rather than virtuoso muscians. John, Paul & George could all play a variety of instruments.

Very few musicians acheive the rank of "virtuoso."  The Beatles would all have agreed to what you read.  Well, maybe with the exception of Ringo who would sometimes say he was "the greatest."   ;D

I'm sure George could have played the 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps' solo himself. George said the other Beatles were not enthusiastic during the recording. So he asked Clapton along.

I'm not sure why the others would have objected.  By the time Abbey Road was recorded, The Beatles had a history of bringing in other musicians for recording sessions.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 08:17:20 PM »

This is the song Quincy criticized Ringo for:  "Love is a Many Splendored Thing."  Now, I'm not sure if Ringo actually played on this.  Does anyone know?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSRf47pUvU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSRf47pUvU</a>

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 11:23:32 PM »

Now, I'm not sure if Ringo actually played on this.  Does anyone know?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSRf47pUvU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSRf47pUvU</a>

Ask Quincy Jones.   ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 11:52:56 PM »

This is the song Quincy criticized Ringo for:  "Love is a Many Splendored Thing."  Now, I'm not sure if Ringo actually played on this.  Does anyone know?

I don't think Ringo did anything but vocals on Sentimental Journey.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 01:40:29 AM »

If he was referring to Ringos singing on those that would be understandable. No one would claim that Ringo was/is a great vocalist.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 01:44:55 AM »

That seems to be one of those rumours that feeds into the bollocks you here that Paul was a better drummer than Ringo. I’ve never heard anything of Paul that would in any way show he came close to Ringo. Paul struck me as competent but rarely more than that.

It was only on Hal Blaine’s death I heard he actually did some drum overdubs on Band on the Run. He didn’t remember which songs though.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 01:50:06 AM »

Just a rumor.

Is it? (I'm not trying to be snarky, Barry.) I read (of course, I can't remember the specific book) that during the Abbey Road sessions Paul would go back and overdub Ringo's drumming with his own on most of the songs. I recall reading that his wife said Ringo would often come home in tears.

Also, of course, one can't believe everything one reads. So I'm not sure if this is true or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 1.147 seconds with 82 queries.