A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rockabilly and Beatles  (Read 10172 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Rockabilly and Beatles
« on: August 31, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »

Hi -

The more I hear of this devil's music called Rockabilly, the more I see how easy it is to draw a line from the likes of Eddie Cochrane, Johnny Burnette, and all the others to the Beatles. Most obviously by George's adoration of Carl Perkins, and the guys liking Eddie Cochrane and Gene Vincent so much. It's got so much energy, the same kind the Beatles had on stage in the early 60s.

I just found out that AOL members have access to a billion internet radio stations for free. There's a rockabilly station on there that I found today - it's pretty happening! I'm alternating between beatles-a-rama.com and that one.

Gives me a case of the just can't help its and my feet won't keep still!

(I'd love to find a way to "run a tape recorder" of this Aol station, to have for times I'm not connected, and also to practice/play along with.
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13618
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:38:04 AM »

Oh, and what about the teacher: Tony Sheridan. Some discussion here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-cc/m-1149666572/s-15/#num22

And listen to Tony playing I Like Love on my podcast (I hope it's still there!). This is a recording from 1959. Now, tell me you hear the Beatles! http://bobbr.podomatic.com
Logged

BlueMeanie

  • Guest
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:16:22 AM »

Quote from: 63
Oh, and what about the teacher: Tony Sheridan. Some discussion here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-cc/m-1149666572/s-15/#num22

And listen to Tony playing I Like Love on my podcast (I hope it's still there!). This is a recording from 1959. Now, tell me you hear the Beatles! http://bobbr.podomatic.com


Blimey, you do, don't you! Did they know of Tony Sheridan before they played with him in Germany?
Logged

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13618
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »

That's quite possible. Tony had been on the tv series Oh Boy since 1959.
Logged

BlueMeanie

  • Guest
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 10:52:29 AM »

He seems to have been around a bit, without having any real mainstream success. I doubt I'd ever have heard of him had it not been for The Beatles.
Logged

pc31

  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11717
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 10:57:07 AM »

i hope you don't take this wrong alex but DUH!!! no that that is out of my system
the musicians of rockabilly back then could only usually manage to put of a 45 rpm on occasion...there must be a million that had only 45s out but no album...there were many bands like that...a few of my rockabilly faves are the collins kids,gene vincent,eddie cochran,link wray,charlie feathers and carl perkins...even george jones did rockabilly b4 he settled in to country permy like...america was trying to keep their kids from the boogie woogie and rab(rockabilly) was full of it so it was kind of squashed here...i would think the 45 in flux to england did alot for the scene there and i would bet my last dollar that rab influenced tony sheridan directly...as it did with joe brown,paddy whatshisface,roy young,faron and a few others b4 the beatles were kids...joe also had joe brown for a hero back then,george always turned his heros into good friends,like he did with carl perkins and dave edmunds,joe brown and so many others....country was the building block for rab,the basic one anyways.....damn gotta go to werk...this is probally boring any ways...if you wanna learn about their roots check out the star club song list and find out who preformed them first...did you know that hey hey hey was a gene vincent tune as well...?????ok i'll gut you later...

pc31

  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11717
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 10:58:52 AM »

oh and ask alex if he minds you move this to the fifths...it'll get over looked here...and hey bobber...slap the ass on the wife 4 me....be movie guys...

pc31

  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11717
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 11:01:20 AM »

Quote from: 483
He seems to have been around a bit, without having any real mainstream success. I doubt I'd ever have heard of him had it not been for The Beatles.
and vice versa more paul you would of never heard of the beatles had there been no tony sheridan.....i firmly believe this to be true...and if you don't you are fooling yourself....lol

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13618
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 11:01:57 AM »

Quote from: 284
oh and ask alex if he minds you move this to the fifths...it'll get over looked here...and hey bobber...slap the ass on the wife 4 me....be movie guys...

I will. I will.
Logged

BlueMeanie

  • Guest
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »

Quote from: 284
and vice versa more paul you would of never heard of the beatles had there been no tony sheridan.....i firmly believe this to be true...and if you don't you are fooling yourself....lol

I wouldn't disagree after seeing that vid.
Logged

Kevin

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5464
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »

^ ditto.Good to see he's getting some recognition. Well done PC - you have played a part in that.
Logged
don't follow leaders

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 01:34:23 PM »

Quote from: 63

I will. I will.


OK by me to move.

Thinking about what I hear in Tony Sheridan's music, I hear a combination of Buddy Holly (Oh, Boy), Elvis (he has a song where the vocal pattern is just about the same, one of the phrases is " ... that evil Jezebel"), and if I had to stretch it, a little bit of Jerry Lee Lewis (no piano, but stage presence). Though I see the standup bass, but to my inexeperienced ears this one doesn't SOUND a lot like rockabilly.

I definitely hear where John may have learned his rhythm guitar style, and even a lot of George in the solo!

Hey that rhythm guitarist ... his last name wouldn't be Sutcliffe would it? He's got his back to the audience, and on the few closeups it looks like he isn't quite sure what chords he should be playing!

Was this filmed after 1963?
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13618
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 03:20:52 PM »

I Like Love was filmed in 1959. No, it's not what I'd call rockabilly. But I do regard it as a strong, if not major, influence on the Beatles' music.
Logged

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 07:24:24 PM »

Quote from: 63
I Like Love was filmed in 1959. No, it's not what I'd call rockabilly. But I do regard it as a strong, if not major, influence on the Beatles' music.


In my opinion, then, it was YEARS ahead of it's time. Clearly a huge influence on John, George, and I guess Paul. Incredible!
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11717
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 03:01:35 AM »

tony was ahead of his time...he was the first on the bbc allowed to played an electric guitar......he rocked but remember rocks roots are seated in country music.......lonnie donegan can be consider a rockabilly artist couldn't he???some blue grass and sound country and speed it up...add some drums and what do you got???

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 03:08:36 AM »

Quote from: 284
tony was ahead of his time...he was the first on the bbc allowed to played an electric guitar......he rocked but remember rocks roots are seated in country music.......lonnie donegan can be consider a rockabilly artist couldn't he???some blue grass and sound country and speed it up...add some drums and what do you got???

I gotta admit, the Skiffle stuff (Lonnie Donegan, etc.) I have heard doesn't get my heartbeat up even 1 beat per minute. It's like listening to square dance music for me. I clearly don't have the keen ear that all those young teen-age Brits in 1955 did.

Does any skiffle have electric guitar? I don't remember hearing any. Maybe that's what's missing for me.
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11717
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 12:54:53 AM »

skiffle is sort of like blue grass from america is kind of what i figure with a banjo,a few acoustic guitars,a bass and  a washboard...rock island line was a fave skiffler tune....skiffle played a major part in englands jump on to the national charts...it was a build block for their rock and roll developement...i don't believe they were all trying to mimic the american 45 artists on the imported tunes but give them their own flair...music after all is an influence and a good musician can add himself without destroying the tune...woody guthries songs have been interpetrd many different ways..
tom dooley is a fave tune too...damn i gotta go watch big brother more later...

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 01:13:58 AM »

Quote from: 284
skiffle is sort of like blue grass from america is kind of what i figure with a banjo,a few acoustic guitars,a bass and  a washboard...rock island line was a fave skiffler tune....skiffle played a major part in englands jump on to the national charts...it was a build block for their rock and roll developement...i don't believe they were all trying to mimic the american 45 artists on the imported tunes but give them their own flair...music after all is an influence and a good musician can add himself without destroying the tune...woody guthries songs have been interpetrd many different ways..
tom dooley is a fave tune too...damn i gotta go watch big brother more later...

And for that I am grateful. Like I am to you for turning me on to rock-a-billy! I actually had an LP (yeah, that long ago) by Johnny Burnette, which I used to like a lot, but sort of forgot about it. But you're enthusiasm and sig sites have reawakened it ... this phase is lasting several months, which means it might stick!

Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11717
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 04:01:26 AM »

tony says he was inspired by chris barber and lonnie tredmendously...the star club dvd is great buy it if you don't have it...
my introduction to rockabilly probally started when i was very young...i grew up listening to country music mostly...carl perkins was always great but i also listened to buck owens who has a rock sound to his music..he did a song called i've got a tiger by the tail,beware the tall dark stranger and the cover of the music city news.....i also listened to all johnny cashs work...he was my dads fave....i enjoy kris,merle,george and hank...
have you checked out the collins kids yet alex????or wanda jackson?gene vincents sister rhonda is hot too...

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Rockabilly and Beatles
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 04:38:31 PM »

Quote from: 284
tony says he was inspired by chris barber and lonnie tredmendously...the star club dvd is great buy it if you don't have it...
my introduction to rockabilly probally started when i was very young...i grew up listening to country music mostly...carl perkins was always great but i also listened to buck owens who has a rock sound to his music..he did a song called i've got a tiger by the tail,beware the tall dark stranger and the cover of the music city news.....i also listened to all johnny cashs work...he was my dads fave....i enjoy kris,merle,george and hank...
have you checked out the collins kids yet alex????or wanda jackson?gene vincents sister rhonda is hot too...

Will do! Thanks  -

Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: [1] 2 3
 

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 28 queries.